• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new BBO program

#81 User is offline   veryfy 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-May-10, 10:08

I can't get sounds in Chrome. The suggestion to turn effects on and off manually did not work.

The new BBO does not load at all in Firefox. Can't load a critical file.

#82 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-May-10, 10:38

View Postveryfy, on 2019-May-10, 10:08, said:

I can't get sounds in Chrome. The suggestion to turn effects on and off manually did not work.

The new BBO does not load at all in Firefox. Can't load a critical file.

Same here (both the no sounds in Chrome and can't load a critical file - also in Chrome)
Alderaan delenda est

#83 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-10, 13:38

View Postveryfy, on 2019-May-10, 10:08, said:

I can't get sounds in Chrome.

You say that like that's a bad thing :P

#84 User is offline   LionHeart1 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-May-12, 09:42

Some comments to the Hungarian translator of BBO:
1) As I mentioned earlier, it is unfortunate to call two different things identically. In the Messages menu both Chat and Mail is translated to Üzenetek. It can be annoying. It would be better to call Chat as Csevegés and Mail as Postaláda. This identical expression can disturb the player during the play.
2) Another annoying point: During bidding the players’ positions in the bidding box are abbreviated by the English letters, i.e. N, E, S and W. For the hands there are the Hungarian abbreviations, i.e. É, K, D and N (correctly Ny, because „ny” are two letters, but only one graphemics).
3) Not so important, but can be corrected: During loading the tournaments, this text is posted: “A versenyek listája törtődik”. The correct text would be “A versenyek listája töltődik” or even more “A betöltés folyamatban”, i.e. “Loading in progress”. (Or the best solution for all languages to show a sandglass icon.)
4) On the Login panel the Hungarian text is „Betöltés. Kérem várj…” for “Loading. Please wait”.
The expression “kérem várj” doesn’t fit to each other, either “kérem, várjon” in polite form or “kérlek, várj” in familiar form.

#85 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-May-12, 11:50

View PostLionHeart1, on 2019-May-12, 09:42, said:

Some comments to the Hungarian translator of BBO:
1) As I mentioned earlier, it is unfortunate to call two different things identically. In the Messages menu both Chat and Mail is translated to Üzenetek. It can be annoying. It would be better to call Chat as Csevegés and Mail as Postaláda. This identical expression can disturb the player during the play.
2) Another annoying point: During bidding the players' positions in the bidding box are abbreviated by the English letters, i.e. N, E, S and W. For the hands there are the Hungarian abbreviations, i.e. É, K, D and N (correctly Ny, because „ny" are two letters, but only one graphemics).
3) Not so important, but can be corrected: During loading the tournaments, this text is posted: "A versenyek listája törtődik". The correct text would be "A versenyek listája töltődik" or even more "A betöltés folyamatban", i.e. "Loading in progress". (Or the best solution for all languages to show a sandglass icon.)
4) On the Login panel the Hungarian text is „Betöltés. Kérem várj…" for "Loading. Please wait".
The expression "kérem várj" doesn't fit to each other, either "kérem, várjon" in polite form or "kérlek, várj" in familiar form.

We'll make the corrections, thanks.

#86 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-12, 11:51

View Postpescetom, on 2019-May-08, 14:20, said:

Is it just me, or has BBO accidentally fixed one of the few downsides of the flash client on a PC with Windoze?
Tempested with questions trying to deter me from launching it, when I dare do so it now miraculously appears in a tab, instead of launching a second instance of Chrome all for itself.
Ironically, the new HTML5 client still ends up in a second instance.

If you tick the "full screen" box at www.bridgebase.com, BBO will launch in a new window. If you don't tick that box, it will open in a tab.

#87 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-12, 11:53

View Posthrothgar, on 2019-May-10, 10:38, said:

Same here (both the no sounds in Chrome and can't load a critical file - also in Chrome)

There was a temporary problem when we did a small maintenance upgrade.

#88 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-12, 14:15

View Postdiana_eva, on 2019-May-12, 11:51, said:

If you tick the "full screen" box at www.bridgebase.com, BBO will launch in a new window. If you don't tick that box, it will open in a tab.

Thanks, I should have noticed that years ago.
Is the tick a default?
If so, I suggest not.

#89 User is offline   LionHeart1 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-13, 01:59

There are a lot of problems I have collected both as player and as TD in the new BBO version. Some of them are only uncomfortable but others are really annoying.
Minor problems:
• In the Flash version as I began a tourney, it automatically switched to Results. Now I must manually switch to the History menu.
• Making a double dummy analysis the figure of overtricks or undertricks are too small and the colour of it is difficult to recognize.
• The account settings will not be saved or only partially saved. Some settings will be reset on the default value.
• The handling of the Chat Manager is very clumsy. I store my messages I want to send about our bidding system and signals there, but it is not easy to fetch and post them to the appropriate target.
Major problems:
• As TD I do the following: I play a tourney in a window under my playing BBO-name with one of the browsers and direct it in another window under my TD-name with another browser. This is useful, because as TD I don’t see all results in one and so can’t see the unfinished boards. As player I see these by switching on the other tables. But this “Other tables” option is not reliable. Yesterday e.g. I saw 3 AVEs in a deal but there were really only 2 of them. The History option is generally a little chaotic. If I navigate on it (previous or next deal), sometimes I see the correct row in the result but the wrong deal. And this is unpredictable, sometimes the deal corresponds to the result, sometimes not.
• The Director (TD) option in the new version is more difficult than it was in the Flash version. I wanted to determine the result of an unfinished deal and it took minutes to do this. Loading the deal took long seconds and to replay it until the break, too. The players are impatient, they play slowly but allow the TD no delay in order to adjust their result. :)

#90 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-13, 08:21

View Postpescetom, on 2019-May-12, 14:15, said:

Thanks, I should have noticed that years ago.
Is the tick a default?
If so, I suggest not.

It's off by default. But it remembers your last selection and that becomes the new default.

#91 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-13, 08:25

View PostLionHeart1, on 2019-May-13, 01:59, said:

• The account settings will not be saved or only partially saved. Some settings will be reset on the default value.

Account settings should all be saved. See this post from last week for a caveat.

#92 User is offline   cmsjw5 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-May-13, 17:08

Played with the new HTML5 version for the first time tonight (as opposed to just providing feedback months ago) using Firefox 66.0.5 (64-bit).

The History tab is broken, in that the table layout at the bottom does not refresh when I click on each different deal in the list, - while in My Table mode. It does refresh in Recent Hands, and Recent Tournaments, but not in My Table. A layout selected from Recent Hands (say 50th) still shows on return to My Table, and will not change whatever board I click on.

Also, there seems to be no option to export a deal, a feature I use(d) a lot in email discussions with my p.

Less important (to me) but perhaps important to you, is that there are no adverts shown at the LHS (no rush to fix that).

As noted above, I would also much prefer smaller/better pictures of the cards.

#93 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-May-13, 17:28

Wish-list for new BBO version
  • Implement Kungsgeten's BML => Full disclosure. Full-disclosure was a great BBO idea but crude and complex. Kungsgeten's brilliant programs help to document systems and make disclosure easy. Such programs are the future of Bridge.
  • Ensure that robots like GIB have a full-disclosure interface. It would then be possible for a GIB opponent to display the meaning of its bids; a GIB opponent to understand your bidding; and a GIB partner to play your system.

#94 User is offline   cmsjw5 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-May-13, 17:30

Further to my last post, and after some more playing:
I discovered that a single click on the table score panel (eg, IMPs NS 10 EW -10) opens a floating History window, and clicking a board from that window opens another floating window with the board layout. Initially, the board layout refreshed each time I chose another board in the History, but when I closed them down and did it again, the board layout were blank (no cards) although the Board number did change correctly. The floating windows obscure parts of the display, but when I tried to drag them on to my second monitor, they are constrained to the main window. They would be much more useful if that weren't the case, (and if they refreshed correctly).

#95 User is offline   LionHeart1 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-14, 01:07

View Postbarmar, on 2019-May-13, 08:25, said:

Account settings should all be saved. See this post from last week for a caveat.

This is partially true. I made the following: I switched off all notifications and then I made a logoff. Then I signed in again and the notifications were switched off. After a while (about 20 minutes later) I signed in again and the first 2 notifications were switched on again. And the same happens if I switch off pictures of cards.

#96 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-14, 08:39

View Postcmsjw5, on 2019-May-13, 17:30, said:

Further to my last post, and after some more playing:
I discovered that a single click on the table score panel (eg, IMPs NS 10 EW -10) opens a floating History window, and clicking a board from that window opens another floating window with the board layout. Initially, the board layout refreshed each time I chose another board in the History, but when I closed them down and did it again, the board layout were blank (no cards) although the Board number did change correctly. The floating windows obscure parts of the display, but when I tried to drag them on to my second monitor, they are constrained to the main window. They would be much more useful if that weren't the case, (and if they refreshed correctly).

That's just the way HTML works. Popups within an application are constrained to the same browser window. The Flash version has the same restriction.

Popups that just display an external web page, like leaderboards after a tourney ends, have a button in the corner that can be used to reopen them in a separate browser window. But popups that need to interact with the application, like the mini-history viewer, have to stay in the main window.

#97 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-14, 08:44

View Postcmsjw5, on 2019-May-13, 17:08, said:

Also, there seems to be no option to export a deal, a feature I use(d) a lot in email discussions with my p.

It's in the hamburger menu in the corner of the hand viewer.

#98 User is offline   dellis1812 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-14, 20:53

To put it in as friendly and objective terms as possible, the new interface sucks. The layout is not nearly as logical or user friendly as the old flash version and there is a noticeable delay or hesitation between tricks and hands. The scoring tables do not resize to a readable size and still leave room for a reasonably sized tabletop on a 14 inch screen.

I will definitely be curtailing my use of bridgebase if they eliminate the flash interface.

#99 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-15, 08:08

View Postdellis1812, on 2019-May-14, 20:53, said:

I will definitely be curtailing my use of bridgebase if they eliminate the flash interface.

I don't think we'll eliminate the Flash interface until Flash itself is eliminated. But that's out of our hands.

#100 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-15, 11:54

View Postdellis1812, on 2019-May-14, 20:53, said:

To put it in as friendly and objective terms as possible, the new interface sucks. The layout is not nearly as logical or user friendly as the old flash version and there is a noticeable delay or hesitation between tricks and hands. The scoring tables do not resize to a readable size and still leave room for a reasonably sized tabletop on a 14 inch screen.

What you see exactly is a function of many factors (browser window size, zoom level, and screen resolution for example). If you can post a screenshot that illustrates the sizing issues you describe, that would make it a lot easier for us to understand what you are seeing so that we can address the issue(s). If you prefer you can e-mail the screenshot to fred@bridgebase.com instead of posting it.

We will eventually get things right. Thanks for your patience.

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users