• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new BBO program

#61 User is offline   timorous 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-May-04, 05:25

Repeat question_ have we lost the bridge movies or have I missed something?

#62 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-May-04, 13:35

Facing performance issues when using Edge

#63 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-May-04, 14:51

I understand perfectly why the new HTML version is necessary.
I also don't share the view that the old Flash version was perfect (it inherited some glaring defects from the previous Windows version) or that the new version is all wrong (many things are better or just different).
But I do think that BBO is at least slow (if not downright stubborn) to accept and act upon criticism (that was evident for the Flash version too).
There have been many complaints here that do not seem to receive due attention or be impossible to resolve.

#64 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-May-04, 14:58

View PostStevenG, on 2019-May-04, 01:54, said:

The Windows version was a Rolls Royce.
The Flash version was a Trabant.
The HTML version is, at best, a child's scooter.

Excessively nostalgic IMO.
The Windows version was a Mini Cooper GT.
The Flash version was a Golf GTD.
The HTML version is (to date) a Yaris Hybrid B-)

#65 User is offline   mesonmu 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-05, 02:03

I definitively hate the design of the new version

#66 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-May-05, 13:38

There is certainly some work still to be done.

I just played a Free TCR Tournament on the new client to see how things were going. Latest version of Chrome. Card movement was terribly slow and jerky and that has nothing to do with my internet connection.
Buttons at the bottom like "Other tables" were half hidden and a question of guesswork - probably partly my problem because I have an odd Toshiba Satellite with a 9x16 screen, but the Flash client has no such problem (although chat is barely visible).

Later I played a Goulash Madness Tournament and couldn't see the Director button.

#67 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-May-06, 00:43

View Postkenfree, on 2019-May-03, 13:46, said:

That's understandable, but why trash years of accumulated categorization of players? This makes no sense. You should preserve what was good in the old system, including this accumulated personal data. Just lazy software design, IMHO, probably by someone who doesn't play bridge online.

We haven't trashed it, we just haven't gotten around to adding it to the new version yet. The information is all still saved on our servers.

#68 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-06, 00:55

View Postwuudturner, on 2019-May-03, 16:16, said:

Too much still needs to be done. Many people have stated the new version needs to be more friendly. TRUE!

Well, if we don't get people using it, we're not going to get the feedback we need to know which features are important.

It cannot remember that I prefer to see hands as hand diagrams? Be serious. Yes, I know about Account/Settings. None of this is stored.

All your settings in the Account->Settings page are normally saved.

However, a few days ago we switched from a non-secure HTTP page to a secure HTTPS page. Due to the way browsers save information, settings won't transfer between the two modes of operation. So the first time you use the application after this change you'll have to re-enter your settings.

What else? The old version had a popup My BBO/Masterpoints, that would give me a complete breakdown of the points earned in each possible category. Surely this is something trivial to provide.

We still have the "Masterpoints and Races" button on the home screen. Are you talking about something else?

When I'm kibbing a table, I really want to see the bidding, not need to remember where to click to get a new frame that hides half the window, just to see the bidding. There is lots of green space on the page. You cannot allocate a corner where the bidding is shown?

Lots of people are asking for this, so we'll probably do something about it at some point. For now, this is just something that it inherited from the mobile app, which doesn't have enough screen space to keep showing the bidding box.

#69 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-06, 00:58

View Postwuudturner, on 2019-May-03, 16:22, said:

And, did I say, BUGGY?

For example, I just responded to this post, while ribbing a table. I posted my reply. When I did, I am now no longer able to leave the table I was kibbing. I am now frozen to that table. No buttons for back. Not even a logout button. The only way to escape the table is to close down the browser window.

Posting in the forum in one browser tab affected the game in another tab? The row at the top of the game tab with Back, Home, Logout, and Help buttons should always be available.

#70 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-06, 01:00

View Postjo4bridge, on 2019-May-03, 15:44, said:

WHERE ARE THE BRIDGE BINGO GAMES????
JO4BRIDGE

View Posttimorous, on 2019-May-04, 05:25, said:

Repeat question_ have we lost the bridge movies or have I missed something?

These haven't been added to the application yet.

You can view bridge movies from an external page: https://www.bridgebase.com/store

#71 User is offline   LionHeart1 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-06, 10:44

I use the BBO in Hungarian language and I found a very annoying mistranslation. In the Messages menue there are 3 options: News, Chat and Mail. In Hungarian both "Chat" and "Mail" are translated to "Üzenetek". The correct translation would be "Üzenetek" and "Postafiók" or "Csevegés" and "Postafiók".

#72 User is offline   whitmorehi 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-06, 21:37

I have tried the new program.
the cards are too huge
the scores record is too small to read easily
I don't see the sense of the half horsehoe trick record.
The current bid is buried in graphics.

This looks like it was designed by a graphics designer, not a bridge player.
The old one isn't perfect, but at least it is easy to read.

In other words, the new screen is horrid.

How can I get the old one back????

#73 User is offline   LionHeart1 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-07, 01:53

I am not only a common BBO user but a TD and yellow as well. And as a former software developer, I have a deeper view into the BBO. I don’t think that you need a critique as “I hate it”, “I love it” or similar, because this don’t help your developers to make BBO better. Nevertheless, I have some comments, especially concerning the TD functions.
1) The list of pending tournaments consists empty rows with dummy tourneys.I suppose It can occur if I generate new tourneys by copying old ones.
2) List of tables: The size of the window of the tables is not adjustable and the right border of the window partially covers the names of the West players.
3) The popup menus are immovable: if the menu is on the bottom of the screen, the lower part of the menu is invisible and cannot be used. It is a problem e.g. when a disconnected player must be replaced: if the player is on the bottom of the list of tables, by right-clicking on the name the last one or two rows of the popup menu cannot be used.
4) I do not find the yellow functions at all.
5) It would be advisable to make a short guide for TDs, how to use, where to find the different functions in the new BBO. During directing a tourney there is no time to discover these or to make experiments, the players are impatient.
If I direct tourneys in the new BBO, I will gain new experiences and If I find new problems, I will announce them.

#74 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-May-07, 06:31

One of my pet hates of the BBO interface which would be very simple to fix in the new version: the bidding table always puts my bids in the rightmost column, I would prefer to always have Dealer in the leftmost column.

It used to have my nickname on it, but now that's gone too. I actually prefer not to have names, but it would be nice if my own column was evidenced in some way (colour, "You" or whatever).

#75 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-07, 07:52

View PostLionHeart1, on 2019-May-07, 01:53, said:

4) I do not find the yellow functions at all.

Do you mean the popup menu with things like "Boot <username> from BBO"? It's in the same place as the old version. Click on the player to show their profile, and it has a "Host" button.

#76 User is offline   cardboy70 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-May-07, 19:11

In the new interface, if you click on a card when it's your turn to play, it's very difficult to not play that card even if you haven't released your click yet. I mean you accidentally touch a card without finishing the clicking (by releasing the click), then in the older BBO, it was very simple to move to a different card & play that card. This is much more difficult in the new version.

I am using the latest Firefox on Windows 10.

#77 User is offline   LionHeart1 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-07, 23:52

View Postbarmar, on 2019-May-07, 07:52, said:

Do you mean the popup menu with things like "Boot <username> from BBO"? It's in the same place as the old version. Click on the player to show their profile, and it has a "Host" button.

Thanks, I found it. The Host button is so small in the profile that it is hard to find.

#78 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-May-08, 02:36

View Postcardboy70, on 2019-May-07, 19:11, said:

In the new interface, if you click on a card when it's your turn to play, it's very difficult to not play that card even if you haven't released your click yet. I mean you accidentally touch a card without finishing the clicking (by releasing the click), then in the older BBO, it was very simple to move to a different card & play that card. This is much more difficult in the new version.

This is by far my biggest peeve wrt the new version (ahead of even the lack of responsiveness and poor stability)
Alderaan delenda est

#79 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-May-08, 14:13

Might it not be a good idea to have a specific forum for the HTML5 client?
Discussion of this important development is spread across multiple threads with non-intuitive titles and interspersed with (obsolete) Flash issues.

#80 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-May-08, 14:20

Is it just me, or has BBO accidentally fixed one of the few downsides of the flash client on a PC with Windoze?
Tempested with questions trying to deter me from launching it, when I dare do so it now miraculously appears in a tab, instead of launching a second instance of Chrome all for itself.
Ironically, the new HTML5 client still ends up in a second instance.

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users