• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new BBO program

#1 User is offline   ladyles 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-May-01, 13:23

I played, last night, on the new BBO program … very, very frustrating … many issues. One of many problems was seeing results after each board. I am a left-to-right reader … much more comfortable with results to the right. Please consider returning to the previous, more user-friendly, program.

#2 User is offline   tironis 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-01, 19:54

I seem to be forced into using the new version 3 of BBO. Despite there being a 'box' stating that I can use the older flash version, I am unable to access. The only version that seems apparent for me to use is the new version 3. Despite trying different ways of 'searching' for BBO or direct log in to BBO I always have new version 3. Sorry I do not like it at all for following reasons:
-I cannot review bidding as all bids except final are no longer visible
- I cannot preview a potential partner and see their profile
-there is difficulty in determining how many tricks won by each side (altho I did figure that out this evening)
-it is not obvious where my friends are playing
-there does not appear to be a 'redeal' request button. This is needed when end up sitting at a table that someone else has left in mid play.

#3 User is offline   tironis 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-01, 20:01

Also most troubling is that when I go to sign in, I get a message warning me that the log in site is unsecured and that my log in info may be compromised, suggesting that I contact 'owner' to ask them to make the sign in process 'secure'.

#4 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-May-02, 00:14

SIR,my only comment is"THE OLD PROGRAMME WAS MORE USER FRIENDLY"

#5 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-May-02, 01:12

It is always difficult to switch to something new, I know it and I really give it a try. Most issues are just not knowing how to do it.

What hurts me most is the lost of the classification information. I still hope it is hidden somewhere but I fear it is gone. I used the classification for other players a feature you introduced with the Flash version. Maybe it's only me who used and loved it?

For directing purposes it was very important for me to classify "bad" subs for example. Or for kibbing purpose I marked a lot of high level players to watch them occasionally when online. Another classification I used were players from my area including students and one classification is preferred partners for play and another one for players I do not like to play with again. Categories where shown everywhere (table, list of friends, partnership desk, list of subs, …). It made life easier in tourneys and when logging in. Now I will not even see if a friend is online as he will be lost in the list. It is a pity when this information is lost. Yes I know that the upper part of the list shows what you call "friend" but not all of my friends follow me so I will miss them when they are online. And for sure I will miss a lot of high quality kibbing due to this and I will have more trouble in the tourneys I direct with rude behaviour from bad subs.

Besides that I have some issues with visability (too small to read) and some with uncomfortable handling like finding tourneys or showing and comparing results of played boards. Until now I did not find a way to go back to the result list at my table after comparing with other tables. And it seems not to be possible to continue play while showing the results.

#6 User is offline   dumm0 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-02, 04:59

Until you get used to them, new versions of any system are frustrating. No doubt the niggles will fade over time. However there are just too many silly problems with the new BBO program, not all of them mentioned by previous posters. I can identify one major benefit of having tried the new program - I appreciate just how good the old version is! Please give us the option of sticking with it, at least until a majority of users give you the green light. Finally, a big thank you to all the contributors to the BBO community (and I do include the software writers). Much appreciated.

#7 User is offline   cardboy70 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-May-02, 05:15

I can't find the option to turn on or off "Sounds".

#8 User is offline   0nsfvalue 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-02, 05:51

I tried it and gave it up after setting up for registering. I could not see chats, others in the partnership etc.
It needs lot of improvement along with the shape of old version.
I am not sure why new version is so different.
It should be add on top the old version by improving few things, not totally new version being totally unfamiliar for us.

#9 User is offline   Lorneg 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-May-02, 06:29

A few comments from a guy who has programmed for 42 years.
FLASH is going away wether we like it or not. Adobe will no longer
be supporting it.
FLASH was OK but it was very very VERY insecure, it was like a virus
on you computer.
You may not like the new HTML programs that we are now forced to
use, but that has nothing to do with HTML.
I'm not crazy about the new program either, but the is called
resistance to change.
If you don't like the way the new program works, complain until
we get something that most people find acceptable.
Actually HTML is much more secure and much easier to program.
The programmer have to get through the learning phase too.
Take care and enjoy.

#10 User is offline   mawj 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-02, 07:55

I'm sad that the cards on the new version look like sheets of paper and not the beautiful cards we had on the Zone or on BBO. I chose both sites over others because I loved the graphics.

I hope you will find a way to use cards that look like cards.

#11 User is offline   mawj 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-02, 07:57

View PostLorneg, on 2019-May-02, 06:29, said:

A few comments from a guy who has programmed for 42 years.
FLASH is going away wether we like it or not. Adobe will no longer
be supporting it.
FLASH was OK but it was very very VERY insecure, it was like a virus
on you computer.
You may not like the new HTML programs that we are now forced to
use, but that has nothing to do with HTML.
I'm not crazy about the new program either, but the is called
resistance to change.
If you don't like the way the new program works, complain until
we get something that most people find acceptable.
Actually HTML is much more secure and much easier to program.
The programmer have to get through the learning phase too.
Take care and enjoy.

#12 User is offline   trowley 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-02, 08:20

Is anyone else having problems with History. Mine keeps freezing and will not update.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-May-02, 09:42

View Postcardboy70, on 2019-May-02, 05:15, said:

I can't find the option to turn on or off "Sounds".

Go into Account -> Settings. Sound Effects is the third item.

#14 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-02, 09:47

View Posttironis, on 2019-May-01, 20:01, said:

Also most troubling is that when I go to sign in, I get a message warning me that the log in site is unsecured and that my log in info may be compromised, suggesting that I contact 'owner' to ask them to make the sign in process 'secure'.

If you use https: to go to the home page, then the link to the application will also use https: and you'll get a secure connection.

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-02, 09:49

View Postladyles, on 2019-May-01, 13:23, said:

I played, last night, on the new BBO program … very, very frustrating … many issues. One of many problems was seeing results after each board. I am a left-to-right reader … much more comfortable with results to the right. Please consider returning to the previous, more user-friendly, program.

Go to Account -> Settings. One of the options there is "Tools at right".

#16 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-02, 09:52

View Post0nsfvalue, on 2019-May-02, 05:51, said:

I tried it and gave it up after setting up for registering. I could not see chats, others in the partnership etc.
It needs lot of improvement along with the shape of old version.
I am not sure why new version is so different.
It should be add on top the old version by improving few things, not totally new version being totally unfamiliar for us.

The new version is a total rewrite from scratch. Since the Flash technology is going away soon we had to do this quickly, so we couldn't reproduce every feature of the old version. We started from the mobile version, and it was a simpler design because of the space limitations on handheld devices.

#17 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-02, 10:03

View Posttironis, on 2019-May-01, 19:54, said:

I seem to be forced into using the new version 3 of BBO. Despite there being a 'box' stating that I can use the older flash version, I am unable to access. The only version that seems apparent for me to use is the new version 3. Despite trying different ways of 'searching' for BBO or direct log in to BBO I always have new version 3. Sorry I do not like it at all for following reasons:

Can you explain what problem you're having with the box for the old version? It should link to

https://www.bridgeba...ts_this_v2.html

The last line on that page has a link that takes you to the old version, which is:

https://www.bridgeba...ient/client.php

And if you most recently used the old version, the home page should contain two buttons, labeled "New Version" and "Old Version".

-I cannot review bidding as all bids except final are no longer visible

Click on the box with the final contract, and the bidding diagram will pop up.

- I cannot preview a potential partner and see their profile

After you select a tournament, go to the Partnership Desk tab to see other players looking for partners. Click on one of their names and their profile will pop up.

-there is difficulty in determining how many tricks won by each side (altho I did figure that out this evening)

There's a diagram with a vertical and horizontal card, and each has the number of tricks taken in that direction.

-it is not obvious where my friends are playing

Widen the sidebar that contains your friend list. To the right of each name, it will say things like "Playing Solitaire", "Playing Tournament", "Playing Table (hostname)".

-there does not appear to be a 'redeal' request button. This is needed when end up sitting at a table that someone else has left in mid play.

It's in the blue menu in the corner of the table.

#18 User is offline   bluechip10 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-02, 10:49

The most important feature needed in any format is automatic refreshing. It's ridiculous that I have to keep pushing the refresh button.

#19 User is offline   jgillispie 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Women
    Food
    Balloons
    Birding
    Magic
    Math/Sciences

Posted 2019-May-02, 10:54

The most significant flaw in the new edition, as a teacher, is the hand editing program. I cannot get a GIB analysis while creating/playing the hands. Picking the cards for the hands is also slightly more difficult than the previous version, which was a little more condensed.

As long as I can continue to access the old version, I'll have no qualms with the new one.
(No comment)

#20 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-02, 11:04

View Postbluechip10, on 2019-May-02, 10:49, said:

The most important feature needed in any format is automatic refreshing. It's ridiculous that I have to keep pushing the refresh button.

Most areas automatically refresh. I think the only place where you have to use the Refresh button is "List Interesting Tables". There's a Refresh button when you get a list of tables in a bridge club, but that's just if you're impatient. It will refresh itself periodically.

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users