Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

from top to middle work arena

#1 User is offline   sakuragi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-September-11, 08:38

1. u have worked in a top tier organization for long time.
2. for some reason u are now working in another organization, 2nd tier. same industry same discipline same job nature.
3. people in ur current organization are way below u, including your senior.
4. people in ur current organization try showing they are equally good with u by various disgusting ways.
5. u go your way and get things done quick and clean.
6. u could ignore them but u could feel the tension is building up.

(1/2/3 objective. 4/5/6 the way u feel it)

how do u deal with the situation?
how would things go if u keep on 5/6?

:lol: :lol:

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-September-11, 09:04

Talk to your supervisor, explain that your coworkers are making things difficult for you. It's their job to ensure a proper workplace.

#3 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-September-11, 09:10

All rather hypothetical, but:

I would start with the question implied by 2 and 3: If I am really that much better than everyone else how did I end up where I am? If I give myself an honest answer then I might well be able to figure out what to do about it. Two obvious possibilities: (A) Quit and go to a better organization or (B) Be patient and secure advancement at the current place.

A woman I know has a job where it is very tempting t ask "Why on Earth do you remain at this job?". I do not know her anywhere near well enough to ask that. Anyway, I am so glad to see some post that has (I hope) nothing to do with a certain Head of State that I thought I would take a stab at this, fwiw.
Ken

#4 User is offline   sakuragi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-11, 09:11

View Postbarmar, on 2018-September-11, 09:04, said:

Talk to your supervisor, explain that your coworkers are making things difficult for you. It's their job to ensure a proper workplace.

Tks. 3/4 include your supervisor.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-September-11, 09:14

View Postsakuragi, on 2018-September-11, 09:11, said:

Tks. 3/4 include your supervisor.

Then you have to go to their supervisor, or Human Resources.

If this is difficult in your culture, you're in a tough situation. Either put up with it or look for a more enjoyable job.

#6 User is offline   sakuragi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-11, 09:19

View Postkenberg, on 2018-September-11, 09:10, said:

All rather hypothetical, but:

I would start with the question implied by 2 and 3: If I am really that much better than everyone else how did I end up where I am? If I give myself an honest answer then I might well be able to figure out what to do about it. Two obvious possibilities: (A) Quit and go to a better organization or (B) Be patient and secure advancement at the current place.

A woman I know has a job where it is very tempting t ask "Why on Earth do you remain at this job?". I do not know her anywhere near well enough to ask that. Anyway, I am so glad to see some post that has (I hope) nothing to do with a certain Head of State that I thought I would take a stab at this, fwiw.

Tks. sort of "re-org". a senior person from another top tier (B) join your then top tier organization (A), bringing along his people from (B). you and your tree are sort of forced to let go from (A). I would say (A) (B) are on par. Both (A) (B) are way above your current organization (X).

#7 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-11, 10:01

So: I am a retired college prof which means I don't have much experience with this. But I have watched with pleasure as my older daughter navigates through corporate nightmares and opportunities.

Is it at all possible to bring something like the following to somone's attention?
"I have some experience that I believe could be put to some very good use for your company. Here, for instance, is a plan. [you then insert a plan] I will need some staff to carry this out, and I will need the authority to tall this staff what to do and insist that they do it."
Maybe they tell you not to slam the door on your way out, maybe they give your place in the company a big boost, who knows? Obviously I won't be the one to gain or suffer so this is very much on a "since you asked" basis. I wish you luck.but really I have no idea what to do.
Ken

#8 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-11, 18:58

Is it too late to work on your people skills? (Technical expertise loses out to the synergy of cooperation every time in the corporate culture.) This is why the ambitious are cut-throat, they are skillful at "using" their entourage to get ahead.
If neither is possible and you need the job (even if only until you find a better one....) try an abject apology and goodwill measure (pay for a round after work or bring in donuts etc.). Surprisingly, your irritation is harder for them to deal with than your ingratiation and most would rather take the easy road rather than the more difficult one.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#9 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-13, 01:26

View Postsakuragi, on 2018-September-11, 08:38, said:

1. u have worked in a top tier organization for long time.
2. for some reason u are now working in another organization, 2nd tier. same industry same discipline same job nature.
3. people in ur current organization are way below u, including your senior.
4. people in ur current organization try showing they are equally good with u by various disgusting ways.
5. u go your way and get things done quick and clean.
6. u could ignore them but u could feel the tension is building up.

(1/2/3 objective. 4/5/6 the way u feel it)

how do u deal with the situation?
how would things go if u keep on 5/6?

:lol: :lol:

In the same order as your post,
3. Hope you are being paid more than your peers to compensate for your higher skill set. If yes, accept that you did 2. because you will be compensated and that 3. is a natural factor why your new organisation is 2nd tier. If everyone of us wanted a perfect place to work, most of us would never work in our life.
4. Encourage it. Their desire to compete with you or show you they are good can be a way to seek validation from an obviously skilled person like you. Don't focus on the lower-quality output of the others, instead focus on encouraging their potential to produce high-quality output in future. Easily half of your colleagues will have higher potential and limited performance due to various factors.
5. Don't do all things by yourself. Most jobs require people who are team players, team leaders, team influencers etc. Individual contributors (i.e. people who do everything by themselves) find it hard to become hyper-successful in the long term.
....It can be frustrating to get a colleague to collaborate and then be let down by the ineptitude of the colleague. Be patient and allow this colleague to make mistakes, learn and grow. Such a colleague will spread the word about your collaboration skills and you will soon have other (more competent) colleagues wanting to join your work group.
6. Deal with the tension, be one with the others. Your superior skills at work get you a superior pay packet. It does not make other people inferior. At a personal level some of your colleagues could easily be better at many things where you can seek their advice. Engage with others on non-work related matters to ease the tension.
And be patient; it takes time for people to accept an outsider.

#10 User is offline   sakuragi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-13, 07:22

thank you barmar, kenberg, AI_U_Card, shyams for reply. appreciated. :D :D

#11 User is offline   sakuragi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-27, 07:44

situation has gone worse.
my subordinate -> myself -> mgr A -> mgr B -> mgr C (head of IT application)
I have taken the "talk to supervisor of supervisor" route

1. Last friday: I make a meeting with mgr C. appointment email last wed looks like

Discussion and seeking help. Have sense of feeling being targeted against. Feeling difficult to contribute under the circumstances. Have mentioned my concern already.

2. during friday meeting i outlined the case to mgr C (i) 2 people between myself and mgr A (a1, a2) come to assign task to me. (ii) mgr A and others advise my subordinate not to undertake my tasks without their consent at my back. (iii) i have raised my concerns but situation not improving.
3. during friday meeting mgr C asked if i have spoken to mgr B. I anticipated the question and advised that i think (2) is setup by mgr B. I provided some email/doc ref to mgr C after the meeting on fri. have not further emailed mgr C then.
4. tue. mgr B have a chat with me. mgr B looks bit nervous (could not tell). I take on some new tasks partnering some new people not involved.
5. i completed task a1 and declined task a2 during mon/tue.
6. wed. just come across mgr C.
mgr C: hey how is your tasks lately?
myself: completed some. Have been working on other new tasks after meeting with u.
mgr C: i have talked to mgr A. Would talk to more people. Would talk to you again some time.
myself: sorry for causing you trouble.
mgr C: its alright. most important is that we could work smoothly.

mgr C looks neutral at (6) above. could not tell
do you feel my situation (a) looking alright (b) looking bad © looking very bad?
mgr C has rightly listened to both sides. should I propose mgr C to take views from 3rd parties as well?
what is my strategy? should i provide more info e.g. previous work before the incident?

:lol: :lol: keeping my fingers crossed :ph34r: :ph34r:

#12 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-27, 13:30

In which country is this all happening?

It matters. If you really want comprehensive opinions, then your best bet is getting views from people who have worked in the country where you are currently based. Their opinions are useful in your context

#13 User is offline   sakuragi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-27, 17:31

Hong Kong.
Previously I work in MNC and now a Chinese company.

#14 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-February-28, 10:07

A good place to ask for help in situations like this is Workplace Stack Exchange. You'll find people more familiar with the work culture in your country there, and they can give you better advice.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users