• Group: Members

Posted 2017-September-21, 10:14

S AKJxxx
H Ax
D Axxx
C x

IMP pairs
A nice hand, partner deals and passes, RHO 1D

I double, LHO 1H, partner passes, RHO rebids 2D, I bid 2S, which is passed out. Upon seeing declarer's hand, my "expert" partner leaves without a word.
Dummy comes down with:

S Qxx
H Kxxx
D xx
C Jxxx

Making 5, of course.

With my partner passing, LHO still unlimited, and the opponents not finding a fit, I think I'm promising a very strong hand (about 18-21 points) needing only a few cards from partner to make a game. Does my partner have any reason to be upset?

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-September-21, 10:43

This is a style thing, some people won't overcall with anything that looks like a sound opening hand upwards, therefore 2 doesn't show the earth, I would actually overcall 1 with your hand and partner would raise, most people I'd suggest are somewhere in the middle, and partner owes you a raise.

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-21, 10:46

your partner was absurd. your bidding was entirely correct.

#4 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-September-21, 11:29

Welcome to the forum, Malachi :)

View Postwank, on 2017-September-21, 10:46, said:

your partner was absurd. your bidding was entirely correct.

Cyberyeti is correct in saying that it does come down to style in many partnerships, and that is true, but wank's viewpoint is also mine.

Your bidding in my view shows 16+ with a 6 card suit or 18+ with a 5 card suit. Partner must raise. I think the problem also, to a very, very small degree, is your hand with it's good 6 card suit and 3 aces and 6-4-2-1 shape is probably worth nearer 19-20.

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-September-21, 14:02

Welcome to the forum!

Your bidding was correct. You have an extremely good 16 HCP overcall with 5 losers. Your close to a jump to 3 after the double but not quite there. (Such a jump would basically say to partner "Bid 4 with any positive feature.")

I agree with the other posters. The problem wasn't you on this hand but partner's failure to raise.

Partner has a 6 HCP hand with a fit. But there's more to it than that. Q is a terrific card to hold as it helps to solidify the trump suit, so it's not unreasonable to feel it covers a potential loser in the overcaller's hand. Also, the K sets behind the bidder which raises its value a little. Anytime the A is with the bidder, it becomes a cover card for another loser in overcaller's hand. The hand also has a potential ruffing value in . Since quite often a strong overcall is based on a good 6 card suit (giving 9+ total trump), that ruffing value is a little more certain because it's less likely the opponent's can eliminate it by leading . In toto, the hand has a lot of positives if lacking in points some. It's good enough to want partner to bid game with a "good" strong overcall.

IMO, it's an automatic raise to 3 after overcaller (you) show the strong overcall. At IMPs, it's a travesty not to do so.

Don't worry too much about players leaving. It happens all the time. Some players are just terribly adverse to a bad result. As for the "expert" tag, there are more than a few "experts" who IMO are no better than intermediate players. So the designation is somewhat meaningless unless you recognize them as true experts.

Also, I'd take any comments, especially negative, with a grain of salt. I recall a hand where I made a safety play in the trump suit to guard against a 4-1 trump break making 4 and my "expert" partner went ballistic when I didn't make 5 because trump broke 3-2. I didn't have the heart to tell this player, that at IMPs, making the safety play is correct and something any real expert would recognize.

#6 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-21, 15:23

View PostMalachi, on 2017-September-21, 10:14, said:

Upon seeing declarer's hand, my "expert" partner leaves without a word.
Dummy comes down with:

S Qxx
H Kxxx
D xx
C Jxxx

Making 5, of course.

With my partner passing, LHO still unlimited, and the opponents not finding a fit, I think I'm promising a very strong hand (about 18-21 points) needing only a few cards from partner to make a game. Does my partner have any reason to be upset?

Partner has every reason to be upset....

With their non-expert pass of 2. Maybe your partner thought he was going to get called out for making a terrible bid and got out while the getting was good.

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-21, 16:37

I disagree with the suggestion that partner should raise to 3. I would probably just raise to 4 but be more worried about missing slam than going down in game, and 3 en route to 4 would be reasonable. He might also have considered doubling the 1 freebid.

Anyway, your bidding is normal. Your hand is about middle-of-the-road for your bidding.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   Malachi 

• Pip

Posted 2017-September-21, 17:54

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was sure I had bid normally, but my partner was sure I had bid terribly, so I wanted a reality check.

#9 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-21, 19:38

Ask your CHO if they would have raised a 1s overcall to 2s. If the answer is yes than a 1s overcall would have worked for them. The downside of course is that your chosen bidding would have shown an even stronger hand and they STILL failed to raise.
Hold your head high and be thankful your CHO was at least quiet when leaving the table so many players say some form of :idiot: or worse then leave. Hopefully they left in shame when they realized they did not belong at your table:)))))))))))

#10 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-September-21, 21:17

View PostMalachi, on 2017-September-21, 17:54, said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was sure I had bid normally, but my partner was sure I had bid terribly, so I wanted a reality check.

You should be glad he left! If he left over this any time spent with him, would be wasted.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#11 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-September-21, 21:40

partner is wrong. very wrong not expert other comments agree

#12 User is offline   BruceZhu 

• PipPip

Posted 2017-September-25, 13:37

Partner should automatically raise 2 to 3 or even 4 at IMPs. He has a decent 6 points, and opposite the expected 18+ from you (or any strong hand) has a good chance of making game. Btw, LHO's 1 bid could be made on anything (can be 0-5 pts in the 21st century but is a matter of style), and first rule is to trust your partner first, so easy raise for me.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users