• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

She May have lost her mind

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-13, 15:34

Boris Johnson? Seriously?

EDIT: sorry I see this was mentioned already while I was out.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-July-13, 17:19

I liked her first public speech as prime-minister.

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-July-14, 03:44

View Postnige1, on 2016-July-13, 17:19, said:

I liked her first public speech as prime-minister.

She said all the right things, and has got rid of Gove and Morgan who have been particularly toxic in education, we'll see if she lives up to what she's said but so far so good.

Edit: it appears she's also got rid of Jeremy Hunt, another good move.

Edit 2: ho hum, reports of Hunt's demise appear to be false, first mis-step, but she's got rid of Whittingdale

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-July-14, 06:12

Was I alone in find the BBC coverage of the handover of power something not far removed from a party political broadcast for the Conservative party? Being somewhat removed from things over here I was quite shocked at the tone of it all. I did think that her speech writer made a good choice in going on the Union with her inaugural address and generally did a good choice of stealing the centre ground from Labour. All of the plaudits about what a wonderful PM she is going to be were a little early though - let's wait and see how things turn out. She does at least have the advantage of not having a credible opposition, which is a strange echo of the previous female Prime Minister. If we do ending up with a split in the Labour party (unlikely but possible) then we really will have come full circle.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#5 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-14, 09:43

Geez guys she has been PM for a day and already there is a thread moaning and complaining about her.

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-July-14, 09:48

Personally I would be ok with a minister of foreign affairs who writes poems about foreign presidents having sex with animals.

However, her pick for "Minister for Brexit" is seriously bad - that guy wouldn't be able to pass a primary school exam in political sciences: https://politicalscr...es-trade-deals/

Breaking: Andrea Leadsom for Defra! Wow! You can't make it up.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-14, 09:55

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-July-14, 09:48, said:

Personally I would be ok with a minister of foreign affairs who writes poems about foreign presidents having sex with animals.

What about one that has written that the Commonwealth supplies the Queen with "regular cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies"? Or who has called the likely next US president a "sadistic nurse"?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-July-14, 11:11

View Postcherdano, on 2016-July-14, 09:55, said:

What about one that has written that the Commonwealth supplies the Queen with "regular cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies"? Or who has called the likely next US president a "sadistic nurse"?

That wouldn't even make the Duke of Edinburgh's top 10 :)

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-July-14, 14:36

View Postmike777, on 2016-July-14, 09:43, said:

Geez guys she has been PM for a dayhome secretary for a few years and already there is a thread moaning and complaining about her.

fyp
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-July-14, 14:47

A friend of mine from NZ posted this on my FB, an interesting take on Boris:

"I think May has copied the absolutely brilliant strategy of New zealand's former PM Helen Clark, which is to make the most embarassing and awkward person in your government into Foreign Secretary, knowing this means they will spend a huge amount of time out of the country and won't show up much in the media. When actually overseas he will have various layers of diplomats and civil servants helping him not to be a total ass. In the case of new zealand the person involved was Winston Peters. who is equally known for saying appalling things apbout foreigners and being a blowhard and a dick, and it worked, It kept him out of the news and out of Clark's hair - it was a brilliant strategy"

#11 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-July-14, 18:26

BTw what is May going to do with the Cat....the cat at #10?

#12 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-14, 22:01

The cat was a PR gimmick trying to make Cameron seem less posh and more like an average Joe, apparently. He doesn't even like cats, it wasn't his cat to start out with and the cat is going to stay at # 10. Or so I read. Unless Ms May decides not, but it seems to have become a sort of mascot so she's probably stuck with it.

#13 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 08:55

Well Johnson made his first comments about the appointment including this one : He said he “was amazed to wake up as foreign secretary and reading some of the commentary in the newspapers this morning I was aware this was not an altogether unique opinion”. There's no way this guy isn't going to be followed by the press, no matter what he does or where he goes.

#14 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-July-16, 08:28

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-July-14, 14:47, said:

A friend of mine from NZ posted this on my FB, an interesting take on Boris:

"I think May has copied the absolutely brilliant strategy of New zealand's former PM Helen Clark, which is to make the most embarassing and awkward person in your government into Foreign Secretary, knowing this means they will spend a huge amount of time out of the country and won't show up much in the media. When actually overseas he will have various layers of diplomats and civil servants helping him not to be a total ass. In the case of new zealand the person involved was Winston Peters. who is equally known for saying appalling things apbout foreigners and being a blowhard and a dick, and it worked, It kept him out of the news and out of Clark's hair - it was a brilliant strategy"

The Guardian agrees with your friend: https://www.theguard...world?CMP=fb_gu

#15 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-26, 23:19

The Guardian is like a spoiled two year old who didn't get his way, still sulking and using every opportunity to try to make a difficult situation worse. Nevertheless reporters were undoubtedly waiting with gleeful anticipation to see what would happen when Johnson met the Turkish politicos. If the video is any indication, they seemed entirely charmed by him, the smiles seemed spontaneous and real. Johnson seemed like himself, doubtful that what he said was scripted by anyone else, he has a fairly unique way of expressing himself, much to many people's chagrin.
What normal career politician would think to talk about his washing machine in an official meeting? And manage to make it relevant, yet?

#16 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-September-27, 00:00

View Postonoway, on 2016-September-26, 23:19, said:

The Guardian is like a spoiled two year old who didn't get his way, still sulking and using every opportunity to try to make a difficult situation worse. Nevertheless reporters were undoubtedly waiting with gleeful anticipation to see what would happen when Johnson met the Turkish politicos. If the video is any indication, they seemed entirely charmed by him, the smiles seemed spontaneous and real. Johnson seemed like himself, doubtful that what he said was scripted by anyone else, he has a fairly unique way of expressing himself, much to many people's chagrin.
What normal career politician would think to talk about his washing machine in an official meeting? And manage to make it relevant, yet?

First, thank you for taking the time to post this. As an American not sure why the hell any of this is not just nonsense, just pure crap if we assume everything you say is true.

i read your post but see nothing, repeat nothing about the war you are in. You do know you are in a war a world war that effects not only your family in the UK but mine here in the USA?

If for what ever reason you and your loved ones are not in a war.....never mind.

#17 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-27, 05:05

View Postonoway, on 2016-September-26, 23:19, said:

Johnson seemed like himself, doubtful that what he said was scripted by anyone else, he has a fairly unique way of expressing himself, much to many people's chagrin.

Nobody could write Johnson's scripts other than himself. We don't have any videos of him in the post-meeting pub session, but you can bet the Turks would have enjoyed his goat limerick too.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users