• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New BBO Home Page

#1 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-19, 17:47

Yes - as announced on this forum, I notice a new, completely revamped, home page has come up. Very smooth and sexy :ph34r: .

However, I do wish that the development team could instead devote just a little bit of their valuable time, to addressing the suggestions, complaints, and bug reports, put across by users of this forum....

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-January-19, 18:03

A little sexy but not a great use of real estate nor is it very logical to the user.

But better than that prior page that looked like it was circa 1997 Netscape.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   mila6452 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-January-19, 18:22

Missed some useful things. E.g. Where is the link to download the client program (NetBridgeVu.exe) for Win. Where are the other platform programs ... etc.

#4 User is offline   sakuragi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-19, 22:45

Thumbs up 👍👍

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2016-January-19, 23:31

I like it. I think the bbo webpage should add a link to the 140 or so Bridge Movies (bbo store).
--Ben--

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-20, 03:21

Nice layout. The colour scheme is not my cup of tea but you can't satisfy everyone.

It says "Casual games, ACBL tournaments, Solitaire". Given that I view it from a non-NA IP address you can estimate the probablity that I have no clue what "ACBL" means, so I may get the impression that it is something similar to Yahoo Bridge. What about:

View top-level bridge (with commentary) in real time.
Serious tournaments (ACBL accredited).
Casual games with friends or with pick-ups.
Practice alone, or with your partner, against robots.
Meet new bridge-playing friends from your own country and every other corner of the World.

Yes I know it is long but BBO covers many things and that is the message to get across imo.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-20, 06:39

Due to the colour scheme I missed the Login/Register in the middle of the page and clicked "Just play bridge". It did not do what I expected.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#8 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-20, 07:48

Beautiful home page.
However, where is the icon ?

#9 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-January-20, 07:54

Hoping that BBO home page would better add multi-language version,especially chinese version.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-20, 11:35

View Postmila6452, on 2016-January-19, 18:22, said:

Missed some useful things. E.g. Where is the link to download the client program (NetBridgeVu.exe) for Win. Where are the other platform programs ... etc.

As far as we're concerned, the client download link isn't needed any more. It's not being updated, and new users can't use it.

If you to to the home page using a mobile device instead of a PC, the Login button is replaced with a link to download the mobile app appropriate for your device. This way, we don't clutter the page with links that aren't relevant to the platform you're using.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-January-20, 11:44

View Postlycier, on 2016-January-20, 07:48, said:

Beautiful home page.
However, where is the icon ?

Above and to the right of "Bridge Base Online".

#12 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-January-20, 11:52

View Postpaulg, on 2016-January-20, 06:39, said:

Due to the colour scheme I missed the Login/Register in the middle of the page and clicked "Just play bridge". It did not do what I expected.

The button is black with beige text, set inside a background that's mostly blue and light green. Is that a problem for color-blind people? My understanding is that total color blindness is rare (and even then, the black-white distinction should be visible), and the common forms are red-green and blue-yellow, neither of which should be a problem with this scheme.

#13 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2016-January-20, 12:32

View Postbarmar, on 2016-January-20, 11:52, said:

The button is black with beige text, set inside a background that's mostly blue and light green. Is that a problem for color-blind people? My understanding is that total color blindness is rare (and even then, the black-white distinction should be visible), and the common forms are red-green and blue-yellow, neither of which should be a problem with this scheme.

I'm not colour blind, it just didn't seem to stand out as much as the 'Just play bridge'. Possibly just me, but thought it worth a mention.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#14 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-January-22, 19:25

What is " Full-screen " ? it seems to be no use.

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-January-22, 19:37

It controls what happens when you click on the LOGIN/REGISTER button. If you uncheck it, the BBO application opens in the current window, instead of popping up a new window that expands to the full size of your screen (like the "Play or Watch Bridge" link did in the old home page).

#16 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-January-22, 19:45

View Postbarmar, on 2016-January-22, 19:37, said:

It controls what happens when you click on the LOGIN/REGISTER button. If you uncheck it, the BBO application opens in the current window, instead of popping up a new window that expands to the full size of your screen (like the "Play or Watch Bridge" link did in the old home page).

Oh,yes,yes, now I got itPosted Image

#17 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-January-23, 02:31

Speaking personally I don't expect ever to use the home page for anything other than as a stepping stone to log into BBO. In that respect, pretty though it may be, for me personally its existence is if anything a very mild irritation because it adds another click required to get in. I can live with that, and it does not add to the mouse-clicks required before the change. The time spent admiring its artistic glory is condensed into the blink of an eye and the click of a mouse. Maybe one day I shall work out the shortcut to take me directly to the flash login page and bypass this home page entirely.

But the point is that the page and its design effort is not directed at me, but at those who have never wandered into BBO before. it is the candy in the window to entice you in.

In this regard I expect to be typical of the vast majority of the established BBO membership. I also reckon that anyone who has commented on the page, in this thread and in the thread on BBO news page (which include somre pretty negative comments) are established members, and I have doubts about whether they have successfully done so with the mind-set of the target audience.

I don't have an artistic bone in my body and certainly no aptitude for marketing. So I would have great difficulty evaluating the page with the eyes of a newcomer. If I were forced to guess, I would say good job.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#18 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-23, 07:11

View Postbarmar, on 2016-January-20, 11:35, said:

As far as we're concerned, the client download link isn't needed any more. It's not being updated, and new users can't use it.

Isn't it still needed by vu-graph operators?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#19 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-23, 07:21

View Postgordontd, on 2016-January-23, 07:11, said:

Isn't it still needed by vu-graph operators?

Vugraph organizers have the download link and instructions in the vugraph manual.

#20 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-24, 14:56

View Postbarmar, on 2016-January-20, 11:35, said:

I just found my old link to the download site and and the download of the bbo-exe seems still to work. ( I hope you will not delate it completely)

https://www.bridgeba...ide_for_bbo.php
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users