• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supremes are on a roll

#1 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-26, 20:12

Posted Image

What a fantastic week at the Supreme Court for love and health care!
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-27, 10:00

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
OK
bed

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2015-June-27, 10:22

Bad week for self-righteous bigots.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-27, 10:37

How fitting to get this news on London Pride Day.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-June-27, 10:58

View PostVampyr, on 2015-June-27, 10:37, said:

How fitting to get this news on London Pride Day.

As is San Francisco's. Would have been fun to be in the Castro for this milestone.

http://sanfrancisco....de-parade-ever/
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2015-June-28, 14:07

Nancy Pelosi about doing whatever it takes to pass health care reform when things looked bleakest — after Ted Kennedy had died, and Republicans won his seat — Democrats started to backtrack, but Pelosi stood firm. Via Gail Collins.

We’ll go through the gate. If the gate’s closed, we’ll go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we’ll pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we’ll parachute in. But we’re going to get health care reform passed for the American people.

The Bob Hamman of the Democratic Party. Probably eats raw steak too. Actually, her father and her brother were both mayors of Baltimore. No doubt, you learn a thing or two about gumption in that family.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-29, 08:31

SCOTUS definitely redeemed themselves this week after the Citizens United decision.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-June-29, 08:39

Although I got to wondering: If Citizens United declared that corporations are people, and this week they ruled that any people can get married, can corporations get married? :)

#9 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-June-29, 08:47

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-29, 08:39, said:

Although I got to wondering: If Citizens United declared that corporations are people, and this week they ruled that any people can get married, can corporations get married? :)

Yes, but don't expect monogamy.
Ken

#10 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-29, 09:02

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-29, 08:31, said:

SCOTUS definitely redeemed themselves this week after the Citizens United decision.

Just barely though. And did you read the dissents? Pretty harsh stuff for legal opinions. Which oh yes reminds me of

View PostWinstonm, on 2015-June-27, 10:22, said:

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#11 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-June-29, 09:45

View Postbillw55, on 2015-June-29, 09:02, said:

Just barely though. And did you read the dissents? Pretty harsh stuff for legal opinions. Which oh yes reminds me of

View PostWinstonm, on 2015-June-27, 10:22, said:

As much as I disagree with the opinions of Justice Scalia, Alito and Thomas, it is inappropriate to refer to them as self-righteous bigots. They have an agenda, and they will follow that agenda come what may. Attributing their opinions to baser motives is unfair and inappropriate.

(By the way, one should read Chief Justice Robert's opinion as he directly challenged a number of the points raised by Justice Scalia. Strong stuff from the CJ)

As for others on the right (Santorum, Limbaugh, et al.), I don't have any problems with your characterization.

#12 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-29, 10:24

Hmmm. I wonder when the next case will come. Will this become like abortion, a permanent issue of contention, with near-constant legislation attacking the court's ruling? Or will it become like Loving v. Virginia ... gradually accepted until mainstream. I wonder.
-gwnn

#13 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-29, 11:30

View Postbillw55, on 2015-June-29, 10:24, said:

Hmmm. I wonder when the next case will come. Will this become like abortion, a permanent issue of contention, with near-constant legislation attacking the court's ruling? Or will it become like Loving v. Virginia ... gradually accepted until mainstream. I wonder.

The second. You can already see acceptance rapidly moving on this issue, and as more people either know someone who is gay or realize the world didn't end with gay people getting married that will continue to grow. And on L v. V, it was only 1995 when 50+% of Americans approved of interracial marriages. We already have 50+% of Americans approving of gay marriage.

There likely will be vocal minorities for a while, but before too long (possibly years, but like <8 years) it will be a minority opinion even when restricted to just Republicans.

#14 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-29, 11:53

View PostMbodell, on 2015-June-29, 11:30, said:

The second. You can already see acceptance rapidly moving on this issue, and as more people either know someone who is gay or realize the world didn't end with gay people getting married that will continue to grow. And on L v. V, it was only 1995 when 50+% of Americans approved of interracial marriages. We already have 50+% of Americans approving of gay marriage.

There likely will be vocal minorities for a while, but before too long (possibly years, but like <8 years) it will be a minority opinion even when restricted to just Republicans.

You may be right. I hope so. Then again, religious objectors tend to be resistant to change/acceptance, and these are the large majority of the current "against" crowd.
-gwnn

#15 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-June-29, 13:23

I predict that pot legalization will be the next great battleground, although its unclear if the court wants to make this a federal issue.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#16 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2015-June-29, 13:28

View PostArtK78, on 2015-June-29, 09:45, said:

As much as I disagree with the opinions of Justice Scalia, Alito and Thomas, it is inappropriate to refer to them as self-righteous bigots. They have an agenda, and they will follow that agenda come what may. Attributing their opinions to baser motives is unfair and inappropriate.

(By the way, one should read Chief Justice Robert's opinion as he directly challenged a number of the points raised by Justice Scalia. Strong stuff from the CJ)

As for others on the right (Santorum, Limbaugh, et al.), I don't have any problems with your characterization.

My comment was not referencing the justices - only the self-righteous bigots that were disappointed by the justices.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#17 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-29, 17:00

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-29, 08:39, said:

Imagine the nice opportunities for tax schemes if a person can get married to a corporation.

;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#18 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-June-29, 17:41

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-June-29, 17:00, said:

Imagine the nice opportunities for tax schemes if a person can get married to a corporation.

Or the rule that you can't be forced to testify against your spouse.

Although I heard in some discussion of this case that the justices did address the fact that they aren't necessarily opening up the door to bigamy. So the corporation would have to pick just one executive to marry. And I guess there's also the general rule that sham marriages (e.g. "green card" marriages) are not considered valid. So you'd have to convince the judge that you and the corporation are truly in love. But I suppose of a corporation can have a political opinion, it can also have emotions. :)

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-June-29, 18:27

Historically, being in love has rarely been a consideration in marriage. I can't imagine it's a legal requirement.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#20 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2015-June-29, 21:50

What do you get when 2 corporations mess around?

Congress man.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users