• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nunes decision

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-01, 13:36

The alerts I made up, actually I am not fully sure who ended up bidding 6 spades. But the fact is, they messed up the bidding ending in a moysan fit instead of a 10 card one, but after Robson decided not to lead what Forrester asked for, leading a heart instead, the contract cannot fail.
Forced to ruff a club in hand, declarer can only play for spades 3-3 with the queen onside.

So the lead was7 and Nunes won in dummy unblocking the 10, he needs a miracle in trumps and ruff a club in hand for the 12th, so headvanced A and lead Q.

Robson though for a while about ruffing this trick wich would certyainly be a strong defence, giving nunes a losing position if he returns a diamond. But in the end he pitched and Forrester won.
Now Forrester though for long as well and returned J. Its hard to know what Info Nunes had about what opponents know about the bidding, since they obviously messed up and they might not know about the moysan fit.

But after winning Q and being no longer forced to ruff a club in hand thanks to the extra trick, Nunes took the greek gift and played spades the wrong way losing the Q and the championship.

#2 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-01, 13:48

I'd guess 6C was a cue? He thinks they have all the keycards after all. I've forgotten what it would imply about the SQ. But yes, great hand. Forrester's play in 2C X was great too.

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-01, 14:09

When Nunes was thining hard on the end position, I was actually thinking he was considering running J without cashing K to catch Q9xx in west.

A note for not so experienced players: The play after 2 weeks of competition has a very different level than the one at the start.

#4 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-01, 17:33

Yeah, gotta love the Q in 2 doubled. I think it's underestimated how that can affect later boards - obviously Nunes line in slam here is just plain wrong.

#5 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-03, 15:27

View PostFluffy, on 2014-July-01, 13:36, said:

The alerts I made up, actually I am not fully sure who ended up bidding 6 spades. But the fact is, they messed up the bidding ending in a moysan fit instead of a 10 card one, but after Robson decided not to lead what Forrester asked for, leading a heart instead, the contract cannot fail.

It would seem that N/S had a disagreement as to the meaning of 3. It seems likely that South described to West that 3 showed spades. If this was not their agreement and if the contract had subsequently made, then West presumably might have asked the TD to consider an adjusted score. Knowing that dummy has hearts makes a lead of the singleton heart rather less tempting.

View PostFluffy, on 2014-July-01, 14:09, said:

A note for not so experienced players: The play after 2 weeks of competition has a very different level than the one at the start.

But this year:
(i) they only played for nine days (with a rest day); and
(ii) the event was cut down to 48 boards/day. With a team of 6, on average players would have had to negotiate 32 boards/day (though Fantoni/Nunes probably played more than 2/3 of the boards).

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-04, 11:54

I was about to say that we can play East for Qxx, with this line: unblock in hearts at trick one, finesse the spade, cash A, play another high heart. East is endplayed to give us a club ruff, a diamond trick, or an extra entry to dummy.

However, this doesn't work, because West can ruff his partner's heart trick and play a second trump.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#7 User is offline   jddons 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-July-13, 12:22

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-July-01, 17:33, said:

Yeah, gotta love the Q in 2 doubled. I think it's underestimated how that can affect later boards - obviously Nunes line in slam here is just plain wrong.

Can you or MickyB give a link to the Forrester hand? My efforts to find something Have failed miserably. Loved your post about 1D-X-1H etc..

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-13, 14:06

View Postjddons, on 2014-July-13, 12:22, said:

Can you or MickyB give a link to the Forrester hand? My efforts to find something Have failed miserably. Loved your post about 1D-X-1H etc..

Did you try this:
Google "bbo vugraph archive".
In the search box, type either "england" or "monaco".
Take the most recent match between the two teams.
Look for a hand that was played in 2x.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users