• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Obscure movies Movies we may have missed

#1 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:All types of games especially bridge & war games.
    old bidding systems & computer simulation programming.

Posted 2013-October-11, 00:38

I saw a Peter O'Toole movie, "My favourite year", recently, and which was funny throughout (for me the comedy usually peters out after a few scenes) and it made me realise there must be hundreds of old movies which never became famous but which are still enjoyable. Any suggestions? :D

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-11, 00:55

View PostScarabin, on 2013-October-11, 00:38, said:

I saw a Peter O'Toole movie, "My favourite year", recently, and which was funny throughout (for me the comedy usually peters out after a few scenes) and it made me realise there must be hundreds of old movies which never became famous but which are still enjoyable. Any suggestions? :D

Good movie but hardly obscure :)

You can check out all of his old movies but you may also enjoy an old movie called Some lIke it Hot...a comedy some say the best comedy movie ever.

I think the forums has an old movie section you may wish to start there.

I could list so many not sure where to start, give us a hint of what else you enjoy at the movies.

http://www.bridgebas...__1#entry528568

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-October-11, 09:06

One of my favorites of his, which I haven't seen in ages, is The Stunt Man.

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-October-11, 10:36

"Brick" is very good.

Film noir piece set at a high school.
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-October-11, 11:08

View Posthrothgar, on 2013-October-11, 10:36, said:

"Brick" is very good.

Film noir piece set at a high school.

Saw it while on vacation in London. We were a little jet-lagged and wanted to do something that required no physical or mental effort.

We bought our tickets and were then ushered into a quiet, dark bar where we had drinks before being told that the theatre was available. We were part of a very small handful in the audience. I enjoyed the movie but my wife didn't much like it

I thought the bar was a civilized touch, tho I shudder to think of the mayhem that might break out at our local multiplexes if that were permitted here (plus the drinking/driving issues).
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-October-11, 12:30

A movie from about 1960 that I liked was Sundays and Cybelle, I won't embarrass myself by trying to translate the title back into French. Added: I just put it into Google and I see that the French title was Les Dimanches de Ville d'Avray, from 1962. I see it also got some awards so I guess it isn't really obscure, but I have never seen it re-released.

We saw "The Rains Came" on TCM recently, later remade as "The Rains of Ranchipur". I liked it and my wife very much liked it.

We have Pather Panchali recorded, also from TCM. Also not really obscure but not something that is available everyday. It's part of a trilogy. I saw the parts individually and then, later, a movie theater near campus showed all three as a triple feature. It can be seen as a stand alone.

Still another recent showing from TCM: The Middle of the Night with Kim Novak and Frederick March. A fine performance from an actress that I otherwise might mostly remember for her dancing with William Holden to a jazz version of Moonglow in Picnic. Or her scenes with Piwacket in Bell, Book and Candle.
Ken

#7 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-October-21, 06:38

I have to remember that I am so out of it that what is obscure to me may not be at all so in general. However we watched the 1999 film Tumbleweeds , which I had never heard of, and we both liked it a great deal. The Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia....%281999_film%29, quotes reviews, Here is one that I agree with:

In his review in the New York Times, Stephen Holden said the film "is a modestly produced slice of Americana. But its central performances are so extraordinarily nuanced and the screenplay so perfectly attuned to the twang and beat of everyday speech that in places the movie feels like a documentary . . . There are many moments when what is on the screen stops looking like acting and becomes life itself, and you're watching real people change and grow before your eyes."

Ken

#8 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-27, 01:34

I enjoyed "The well-diggers daughter": a French movie with quiet charm and dignity, and an impish sense of humour.

:D

#9 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-October-27, 02:40

Wonderful topic. thanks

I get to list a few good ones but to be honest most obscure movies are pretty bad :(.

#10 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-16, 22:26

Saw and enjoyed "The Book Thief" yesterday. It's unpretentious and likely to remain obscure: a movie about Nazi Germany in which even the Gestapo are portrayed as decent human beings is not exactly mainstream. Written by an Australian the background may relate more to pre-war Sydney than to Germany but, as I said, I enjoyed it.

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-January-17, 04:36

View PostScarabin, on 2014-January-16, 22:26, said:

Saw and enjoyed "The Book Thief" yesterday. It's unpretentious and likely to remain obscure: a movie about Nazi Germany in which even the Gestapo are portrayed as decent human beings is not exactly mainstream. Written by an Australian the background may relate more to pre-war Sydney than to Germany but, as I said, I enjoyed it.

I am very curious how this book was made into a film, because the book (which I really enjoyed) was narrated by Death.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-17, 19:17

Death narrates (provides a voice-over) the movie also. Seemed to me to work well.

#13 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-January-17, 19:49

Probably not obscure, but I had not seen Papillion before recently and really enjoyed it.

On a more obscure note, I laughed myself to tears watching a movie that I think was called Walkabout. Those who have seen it might understand. The action scenes in the middle part were fantastic. LOL.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#14 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-18, 14:07

The Fearless Vampire Killers by Roman Polanski was Sharon Tates last movie was very funny but seems to have skipped the late night tv circuit.

A favorite growing up was the original Peter Pan with Mary Martin but I read a long time ago that a copyright dispute with the family of someone or other caused it to pretty much disappear.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#15 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-18, 17:24

Semi obscure: Head-On by Fatih Akin.

Favorite Peter O'Toole movie other than Lawrence of Arabia: Beckett.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#16 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-January-18, 18:01

"Being There" with Peter Sellers is wickedly sarcastic.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#17 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2014-January-18, 19:14

View Postkenrexford, on 2014-January-17, 19:49, said:

On a more obscure note, I laughed myself to tears watching a movie that I think was called Walkabout. Those who have seen it might understand. The action scenes in the middle part were fantastic. LOL.

When I was dating Constance, I took her to a movie I told her was a "must see" -- Walkabout. We were the only ones in the theater.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#18 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-January-18, 21:24

View PostPassedOut, on 2014-January-18, 19:14, said:

When I was dating Constance, I took her to a movie I told her was a "must see" -- Walkabout. We were the only ones in the theater.

I saw it on TV and was laughing hysterically as the two walked with no talking up a dune, down a dune, up a dune, down a dune, then, after a shot of a random lizard eating a bug, up a dune, down a dune...
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#19 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-January-19, 09:33

View Postkenrexford, on 2014-January-18, 21:24, said:

I saw it on TV and was laughing hysterically as the two walked with no talking up a dune, down a dune, up a dune, down a dune, then, after a shot of a random lizard eating a bug, up a dune, down a dune...

Sounds fascinating, sorry I missed it!
Ken

#20 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-January-19, 09:47

There are many movies that are obscure for me but apparently not for others. One of these is "State And Main" which the blurb assured me was wickedly funny. Going on-line I found that, to quote the article, "David's Mamet's State And Main engineers a perfect punchline". See http://www.avclub.co...perfect--102590
It takes a few paragraphs to explain this perfect punchline and I am still not sure that I understand it.

This sort of reminded me of efforts I am making to use some sophisticated software. The supporting guides tell you repeatedly how simple it is to implement. Uh huh. It takes quite a few pages, and much trial and error, to discover how simple it is.

Anyway, the movie is somewhat amusing. I think.

Ken

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google