Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge vs Whist

#1 User is offline   Lesh18 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-27, 17:52

Hi, I know Bridge is the best trick-taking card game and possibly the ultimate card game there is, but I have recently become curious about other trick-taking games.

Let's face it, Bridge is difficult. Difficult and exhausting. First you have to count your points, then bid using a complicated bidding system, then you need to count your winners, count your losers, count trumps as you draw them, maybe count for the rule of 11, and when the game is over and you deserve a rest, you need to count how many tricks you won and count the points.

Is Whist still a good trick-taking game compared to Bridge? Or it's not worth wasting the time? My guess would be that Whist is less demanding and much more relaxing than Bridge, and relies heavily on partner communication. Do you play Whist?

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-December-27, 19:03

View PostLesh18, on 2013-December-27, 17:52, said:

Hi, I know Bridge is the best trick-taking card game and possibly the ultimate card game there is, but I have recently become curious about other trick-taking games.

Let's face it, Bridge is difficult. Difficult and exhausting. First you have to count your points, then bid using a complicated bidding system, then you need to count your winners, count your losers, count trumps as you draw them, maybe count for the rule of 11, and when the game is over and you deserve a rest, you need to count how many tricks you won and count the points.

Is Whist still a good trick-taking game compared to Bridge? Or it's not worth wasting the time? My guess would be that Whist is less demanding and much more relaxing than Bridge, and relies heavily on partner communication. Do you play Whist?
IMO, Solo, Spades and Hearts have fairly simple rules but are more exciting than Whist. In an enjoyable Auction Whist variation, each player in turn nominates a number of tricks (a good rule is that the last "bidder" must ensure that not all contracts can be successful).

#3 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-27, 19:24

Try this for the best info on the web about card games: pagat.com. Bound to be something to your taste here.

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-December-28, 04:14

I played a lot of whist and another variation of whist we called "66 auction" in highschool. Most of my schoolmates loved it and it was our fav pastime during the summer. Weirdly, when one of our friends tried to introduce us to bridge as a better game we all rejected it because "sheesh that's what old people play" :(

I liked it better than Hearts and Spades, but it's prob a personal choice. As far as I remember we'd play any trick taking games - the fun was doing it together, not the game itself.

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-28, 04:21

View PostLesh18, on 2013-December-27, 17:52, said:

then bid using a complicated bidding system,

Well, your bidding system is as complicated as you want it to be. Maybe you have noticed that some inexperienced players on these forums are convention-mad, but they are making a mistake.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-December-28, 04:40

View PostVampyr, on 2013-December-28, 04:21, said:

Well, your bidding system is as complicated as you want it to be. Maybe you have noticed that some inexperienced players on these forums are convention-mad, but they are making a mistake.

I think that's a natural "phase", not necessarily a mistake. Nothing wrong with experimenting :)

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-28, 09:01

There is no such thing as a simple bidding system. Of course there are relatively simple systems
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users