• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-October-29, 04:01

Matchpoints:

I opened 2NT but wasn't sure

thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-29, 05:17

1C for me, reversing into diamonds next. Hate opening NT with 2-2 majors, especially Qx.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-29, 06:24

I will never understand people who don't want to bid no trump with Qx. That's such an important holding to right side.
I once had the following conversation with a partner after he failed to ask me for a stopper in a suit opting to just bid no trump himself instead.
Me: You had doubleton queen right?
Him: Yes.
Me: Well I think you made the right bid. (upon reflecting on the hand) Wait were you QJ?
Him: Yes.
Me: Ok I take that back I hate the bid.

Regardless of such musings, I believe in always telling partner when I have a balanced hand.
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

#4 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-29, 06:32

It looks like a balanced hand to me, and I feel that opening 1C intending to reverse is a poor choice, while it is not the most wonderful 2N opening (lack of 2 aces is a tad annoying)that is what I have. 2N no second choice.

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-29, 06:50

Eagles: Hang on to your instincts. You weren't sure because the hand was a bit different than the every-day notrump shape; but it looked like a 2NT opener.

What I see is a tendency for newer players to avoid opening NT hands with NT bids because of dogma like an open suit or two doubletons, and then trying to reinvent the wheel later in the auction. Don't go there. It is much easier to handle notrump sequences than to handle a "reverse" sequence at this stage of developement, especially when the hand is really not unbalanced.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2013-October-29, 16:59

2 NT for me.

It gets the values right although the shape isn't ideal.

At a Northern Illinois regional earlier this year, Dick Bruno, a top Chicago player, discussed how to handle in between hands like this. He advocated what he called a "one card more/one card less, one point more/one point less" approach. He said that with hands that don't comfortably fit any bid, it sometimes helps to consider what to do if a card or point was differently placed.

With this hand, the thinking would be that if a were instead a or , then there'd be virtually no problem opening 2 NT. So by bidding 2 NT with this hand, you're not describing it right by at most one card.

Likewise, he advocates opening a hand such as Kx AKx Kx Q10xxxx -- 1 NT. Normally, a jump rebid in s show a good suit, but here you don't have that. Again, if a were a card in any other suit, then you'd have no trouble opening the hand 1 NT. So 1 NT would be a less deceiving and better bid than a jump 3 rebid.

It's a useful concept.

#7 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-October-29, 17:16

I open 1 too many times partner has had 2 black aces and a doubleton heart in the past. Admittedly I play 2N good 19-21 so this hand is a bit good, partner might not even invite with Axx, Kxx, xxxx, Axx. If partner has something that won't respond to 1, unless he has some tremendously good fitting cards, we weren't making game and 2N-P-P-P plus some minimum 2N-3N raises could be horrible.

#8 User is offline   spadebaby 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-October-30, 19:25

Why wouldn't yo open 2c ....showing a strong point count hand between 21-22 points?
That way your partner can tell you what his strong suit is. If he passes you on 2nt...
you could be missing a potential baby slam.
2c is a forcing opening bid. So he has to respond. You make your decisions from there.

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-October-30, 19:42

Mainly because it evaulates to about 20.5 and even 21 isn't in most people's 2C range. And, you don't get to evaluate from there because when you make a size and shape limited bid it is your partner who evaluates. You don't get to make all the decisions from your side of the table.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-31, 03:04

View Postspadebaby, on 2013-October-30, 19:25, said:

Why wouldn't yo open 2c ....showing a strong point count hand between 21-22 points?ere.

Eagles doesn't put it in his posts any more (because he posts so regularly), but he plays in an Acol environment. Over here you need 23 points for a balanced hand for 2 followed by 2NT, or 2 etc. if playing Benji.

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-31, 09:22

I believe Eagles plays 2NT as 21-22.

Anyway, 1 and 2NT are both fine.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#12 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2013-October-31, 10:18

FWIW, there is something to be said for opening 2NT when in doubt and 2-2-4-5 but 1 if in doubt and 2-2-5-4. Not saying whether I am in doubt this time, though.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#13 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-October-31, 11:39

2N for me.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#14 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-31, 12:42

2NT for me, with such strong doubletons.

However, if partner transfers to spades and bids 3NT, I am correcting to 4. Often the weak heart holding is a danger sign in that particular auction.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#15 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-31, 12:57

The more I read this thread, the more I think that 2NT might be better at IMPs, and 1 at MPs.

#16 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-31, 14:31

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-October-29, 17:16, said:

I open 1 too many times partner has had 2 black aces and a doubleton heart in the past.

That's pretty specific: it can't be that common.
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

#17 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-31, 16:54

I think 2NT is better at any scoring--how likely are we to end in a minor suit partial even in MP? The choice is likely going to be between 3NT and 5m, and the major suit honors strongly suggest 3NT. I might consider correcting to 4 after 2NT-3;3-3NT as the heart lead has been pinpointed. After 2NT-3NT I'm less concerned, as partner may have help in hearts or they may not lead them. if you're likely going to end up punting 3NT at some point anyway, the less revealing auction starting with 2NT is more likely to be a winner. I think the OP showed good judgement here, whether or not it worked out at the table--there are no 100% actions available on a hand like this, and I feel confident that 2NT is the best % action.

#18 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-October-31, 17:59

This looks like a 2NT opening to me as well, oh and that is MPs, IMPs, BAM and Rubber!
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#19 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-November-02, 10:08

View PostStevenG, on 2013-October-31, 03:04, said:

Over here you need 23 points for a balanced hand for 2 followed by 2NT, or 2 etc. if playing Benji.

That depends a lot on where you are. Within the BBO Acol Club it is very common to play 2->2NT as 19-20. In the version of Benji I have been playing lately 2NT is 20-21, 2->2NT is 22-23 and 2->2NT is 24-25. This is one of those aspects that you just have to ask a pick-up partner about online. Within a local club, "everyone" will play it the same way so it is easier.

As for the OP, I would have no problem with either option from a partner. 2NT is likely to be wrong if partner has 5-5 in the majors; 1 will often be wrong when partner ends up declaring 3NT. A finger signal for partner's heart length could be useful here. Saying that the choice of contracts is between 3NT and 5m is completely ignoring an important downside of opening 2NT - partner is likely to see the hand somewhat differently!
(-: Zel :-)

#20 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-November-02, 20:00

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-October-31, 09:22, said:

I believe Eagles plays 2NT as 21-22.

Anyway, 1 and 2NT are both fine.

Helene, how can "both be fine?". If 2NT is fine, it should exclude opening this hand with 1C and vice versa.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users