• You cannot reply to this topic

pet peeve thread

#681 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-19, 11:54

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-September-19, 10:24, said:

Why only German men :) (and no I don't wear Speedos but on a related front):

It always seemed to me that it is generally only German men who do this.

French swimming pools which force you to wear Speedos as the shorts type of swimsuit I normally wear is "unhygienic".

But I guess I was mistaken. I will make sure I avoid these swimming pools; I don't think I have a strong enough stomach.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#682 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-19, 12:20

I had a friend who used to say "you're entitled to your wrong opinion". I think he got his point across pretty well. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#683 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-September-19, 12:53

Old saying: Opinions are like assholes: everyone has one, and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.

#684 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-19, 14:51

View PostGreenMan, on 2013-September-19, 10:55, said:

<snip>

EDIT: Found it.

Brilliant! I love the internet.

Something of a similar ilk is when people cry out that they are offended by something or other. I refer you to Stephen Fry to say it better than I could:

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ***** what.”
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#685 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-September-20, 03:54

View Postbroze, on 2013-September-19, 14:51, said:

"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ***** what."

So I would appreciate if in the future you could avoid doing it again?

#686 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-September-20, 03:57

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Hitchens :)

(Not a peeve, just a quote to add to the discussion above.)

edit: just found this in my Biophysics book!

The method of "postulating" what we want has many advantages; they are the same as the advantages of theft over honest toil.
Bertrand Russell
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#687 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-September-20, 06:53

View Postbroze, on 2013-September-19, 09:22, said:

Megapeeve: When in a debate or argument, whether online or face to face, people insist on labouring the point that the views they are expressing are 'their opinion': "Well, that is my opinion and I'm entitled to it" ... "You have your opinions and I have mine" - as if that matters in the slightest.

Your argument being 'your own opinion' does not make it cogent in any way and certainly does not mean it warrants any respect for that fact alone. Nine times out of ten the 'opinion holder' turns out to be completely uninterested in reasoned debate but merely wants to put forward a weak ill-informed viewpoint without having it challenged.

I at times employ a variant. There are matters on which it is inconceivable I will change my mind. I also don't much like the phrase "You have your opinions and I have mine" but there are times that I want to make it clear that I am not really open to further discussion.

A very old story along these lines. Often at Chinese restaurants several dishes are ordered and everyone takes some of each dish. I was eating with a group that liked to discuss at length each person's suggestion for a dish and carefully consider how it would fit in with the other choices. After catching on to this procedure, I announced that I was having a fish dish of my choice and I would be eating all of it. And nothing else. This worked fine, except that I could probably have ordered, been served, and eaten my choice before the discussion of the others actually reached a conclusion.
Ken

#688 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2013-September-20, 07:33

Sexy Feet
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#689 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-September-20, 07:57

View PostPassedOut, on 2013-September-20, 07:33, said:

A much needed putdown of these idiotic kid pageants.
Ken

#690 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-September-20, 08:14

Pet peeves, by their nature, are small items.
Recently our newspaper delivery has taken a turn for the worse, much worse. So you go to the site to report a non-delivered paper. The site tells you that they will re-deliver it as soon as possible.
Well, no. You cannot re-deliver something that has not been delivered. These semantic issues often, intentionally or not, have an edge to them. It's along the lines of "Of course we delivered your paper, but if you stuffed it in the incinerator and forgot, of course we will re-deliver a paper". There are no dogs running loose, and we get up around 6. I doubt a neighbor has suddenly decided to get up at 5:30 to swipe our paper between the time it is delivered and the time we get up. It has not been delivered, it should be delivered albeit late, it is not possible for it to be re-delivered.

While I am on this, it is disheartening to me that newspapers are now, often and currently here, delivered by adults. I did a morning/evening/Sunday route, it paid close to a hundred bucks a month in 1950s era dollars. It gave me independence. I think that this is an important part of growing up. About a year ago I had some issues and the doc told me to quit mowing the grass. These issues have largely cleared up and I could get back behind the mower, but I sort of like the idea of paying a neighborhood sixteen year old to do it. He likes it too. A good kid, he is.
Ken

#691 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2013-September-20, 09:45

View Postkenberg, on 2013-September-20, 08:14, said:

While I am on this, it is disheartening to me that newspapers are now, often and currently here, delivered by adults. I did a morning/evening/Sunday route, it paid close to a hundred bucks a month in 1950s era dollars. It gave me independence. I think that this is an important part of growing up. About a year ago I had some issues and the doc told me to quit mowing the grass. These issues have largely cleared up and I could get back behind the mower, but I sort of like the idea of paying a neighborhood sixteen year old to do it. He likes it too. A good kid, he is.

Your point about independence is an important one, it seems to me. My paper route and the lawn mowing business I developed as a kid did the same for me, and made me confident that I could make my way in the world.

Our paper now is delivered by adults because it takes a drive to get here, but I do see youngsters delivering papers in the small towns around. Maybe the parents of youngsters in the cities don't feel as safe.

I'm pleased that we still have newspapers! Wonder how long that will continue...
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#692 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-21, 13:22

You learn a lot delivering papers as a kid and collecting payment from your neighbors. I co-delivered morning, evening and Sunday papers with 3 siblings. My 16 year old brother taught me how to drive on Sunday mornings. That was worth getting up early for.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#693 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-September-24, 17:03

View Postkenberg, on 2013-September-20, 08:14, said:

While I am on this, it is disheartening to me that newspapers are now, often and currently here, delivered by adults.

With subscription rates being what they are, the density of subscribers is such that delivering papers via anything but a car is untenable.

#694 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-September-25, 08:18

View Postdwar0123, on 2013-September-24, 17:03, said:

With subscription rates being what they are, the density of subscribers is such that delivering papers via anything but a car is untenable.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. A kid would need to be paid more per subscription than I was for it to be attractive, but presumably the adult with the car is already paid more per subscription than I was.

No doubt what you say has some truth to it, since indeed the delivery is by an adult with a car. But I much, much preferred a job such as newspaper delivery to working in a grocery store with some fussbudget critiquing my every move. And my job cooking french fries? Awful. Walking and tossing papers? Great. Walking a longer route? OK by me if the alternative is to listen to some moron criticize my frying technique. Moving furniture was good. I moved it, they paid me. A good arrangement.

For that matter, I bought my first car with earnings from my paper route, but that was in 1954 when a fifteen year old could do that. The much derided 50s era had its good points. I used the car a bit in the delivery., taking bundled papers to various spots and then walking the route.
Ken

#695 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2013-September-25, 08:30

I really didn't like distributing newspapers which I did when I was 16. The other jobs I had as a pre-18 were: sorting books at a library and cleaning in a bank. In those jobs at least I had some interaction with (adult) colleagues.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#696 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-25, 10:33

An adult with a car can handle several routes at once, which makes it more attractive than for a carless kid who can only finish one before school.

Also, there used to be afternoon papers that could be delivered after school. Not anymore.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#697 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-25, 10:41

View PostVampyr, on 2013-September-19, 10:07, said:

Upvoting when I meant to reply.

German men with huge bellies and tiny bikini swimsuits.

Are English or other men with huge bellies and tiny bikini swimsuits not a peeve? Surely Germans don't have a monopoly on this behavior...

#698 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-25, 10:58

View Postbd71, on 2013-September-25, 10:41, said:

Are English or other men with huge bellies and tiny bikini swimsuits not a peeve? Surely Germans don't have a monopoly on this behavior...

Have you really found that to be the case?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#699 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-25, 15:39

When I was a kid, an adult with a car dropped my papers off in front of my house in the morning, and I got up, folded the papers, and delivered them around my route. The adult had several paperboys under his umbrella. I paid him once a week. The newspaper wouldn't allow me to keep my paper route past age 15, so I did it for four years (couldn't start earlier than age 12, either). Then I worked in a supermarket for a while. Ken is right, that sucked. Worked for my Dad one summer, in his cardiac catheterization lab. No, I didn't do the catheterizations, but I saw enough to know I didn't want to be a doctor.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#700 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-25, 22:35

When they make an announcement before a TV program is shown about things that people might find objectionable, and they say "mild language". Who could possibly object to "mild language"?

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users