BBO Discussion Forums: BENGHAZI: COVERUP OR INCOMPETANCE? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BENGHAZI: COVERUP OR INCOMPETANCE? or: give me a third option

#81 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-November-01, 12:40

View PostVampyr, on 2012-November-01, 12:02, said:

Well, Mormon missionaries can be pretty aggressive -- have you ever been pursued by them?

To me, one of the interesting features of Mormonism is its adaptability. Unlike many religions, their church has a built-in mechanism for discarding old principles to conform to the requirements of society. That mechanism allowed them to drop polygamy and to drop their restrictions on blacks.

Perhaps other religions should take note of the success that the Mormons have had with that approach. And, quite possibly, that very adaptability has helped guide Mitt Romney in his political career.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#82 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2012-November-01, 15:23

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-November-01, 12:40, said:

To me, one of the interesting features of Mormonism is its adaptability... Perhaps other religions should take note of the success that the Mormons have had with that approach.

yeah, it's interesting alright... any religion that can't make up its mind as to its core belief is interesting, i guess... anyway, i don't vote (or not) according to religion, and i don't know anyone who is *not* voting for romney based on his beliefs
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#83 User is online   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2012-November-01, 16:42

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-November-01, 12:40, said:

To me, one of the interesting features of Mormonism is its adaptability. Unlike many religions, their church has a built-in mechanism for discarding old principles to conform to the requirements of society. That mechanism allowed them to drop polygamy and to drop their restrictions on blacks.

Perhaps other religions should take note of the success that the Mormons have had with that approach. And, quite possibly, that very adaptability has helped guide Mitt Romney in his political career.

In other words, being wishy-washy is a positive attribute?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#84 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-November-01, 16:57

Pursued, no. Approached, yes. I told 'em to buzz off, they buzzed off. IME, Jehovah's Witnesses are much more aggressive.

I dated a Mormon for several years, many years ago. She had the same attitude towards religion as I do. So did her parents. OTOH, it turns out there are two main branches of Mormonism. Her family were "Reformed LDS" if I remember correctly.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#85 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-01, 17:25

View PostWinstonm, on 2012-November-01, 16:42, said:

In other words, being wishy-washy is a positive attribute?

In Mormonism in general (perhaps not in Mitt Romney) it is not a case of being wishy-washy. The thing is that they have prophets in the present day who have direct communication with God. So when God changes his mind about how the church and it members should behave or what they should believe, he tells one of the prophets, who relays the message to the rest of the church.

In a way this is one of the least freaky things about Mormonism. After all, other major religions believe that there were once prophets; why shouldn't there be some now? Of course, those other prophets were not elected leaders of an organised religion; presumably God chose them himself.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#86 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2012-November-01, 19:04

View PostVampyr, on 2012-November-01, 17:25, said:

In Mormonism in general (perhaps not in Mitt Romney) it is not a case of being wishy-washy. The thing is that they have prophets in the present day who have direct communication with God. So when God changes his mind about how the church and it members should behave or what they should believe, he tells one of the prophets, who relays the message to the rest of the church.

In a way this is one of the least freaky things about Mormonism. After all, other major religions believe that there were once prophets; why shouldn't there be some now? Of course, those other prophets were not elected leaders of an organised religion; presumably God chose them himself.

Problem is, when God changes his mind it sort of undermines those ideas about an unchanging God and unchanging morality.

It is a cute excuse to confuse, though, and works with some.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#87 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-01, 20:03

View PostWinstonm, on 2012-November-01, 19:04, said:

Problem is, when God changes his mind it sort of undermines those ideas about an unchanging God and unchanging morality.

But it doesn't undermine religions that believe that god learns and adapts along with humanity...
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#88 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-01, 21:19

View Postluke warm, on 2012-October-26, 14:03, said:

more news of the refusal of help from Fox

Seems that Fox news was wrong about the supposed orders to "stand down." That still leaves the issue of why the security was not tighter beforehand.

#89 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-November-01, 21:44

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-November-01, 21:19, said:

Seems that Fox news was wrong about the supposed orders to "stand down." That still leaves the issue of why the security was not tighter beforehand.

Fox News wrong? I am astonished and dumbfounded.

#90 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2012-November-02, 04:02

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-November-01, 21:19, said:

there were orders to stand down, and we'll soon know from whom they came, if not cia
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#91 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2012-November-02, 06:33

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-November-01, 20:03, said:

But it doesn't undermine religions that believe that god learns and adapts along with humanity...

A god that learns and adapts....in other words, a human god....

#92 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2012-November-02, 06:37

I was not aware that the initial source of the stand down claim was Fox News. Had I been I would have discounted it immediately as Rupert Murdoch has shown with the wiretapping fiasco in England that integrity has no role in any business with which he is associated.

#93 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2012-November-02, 06:46

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-October-31, 07:24, said:

Here's the rub, relief organizations have been very clear that they don't need canned food collections in Ohio.
What they need is cash. Cold, hard, fungible cash.

it's good that you know what they need better than they know themselves

#94 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-02, 06:50

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-November-01, 20:03, said:

Right. Mormon men get their own planet to be god of after they die; clearly most of the rookie gods have not had much practice. Perhaps Mitt wants to be President just so he can practise for his future planet.

In any case, ordering polygamy and then rescinding the order is not really "learning and adapting", since there was no polygamy to speak of in America in the 19th century. Also the issue was not really re-examined until pressure was brought to bear from the United States, particularly involving Utah's application to become a state. And although there was not only prejudice against blacks but even slavery when the Mormon religion began, I don't think any other Christian churches made the exclusion of blacks an actual policy. (I am not sure whether membership was denied, but being a "priest" was; every man is ordained a priest. And no women. Big surprise!)
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#95 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-November-02, 07:20

View Postluke warm, on 2012-November-02, 06:46, said:

it's good that you know what they need better than they know themselves

I have no doubt that the folks in Staten Island need food. The question at hand is whether collecting canned food in Ohio is an efficient mechanism for distributing food in Staten Island.

According the Red Cross and other relief organizations, it isn't.
http://abcnews.go.co...to-canned-food/

I know that your head is shoved pretty far up your own arse these days, but you really might want to get out and about a bit more...
Alderaan delenda est

#96 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2012-November-02, 10:39

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-November-02, 07:20, said:

I know that your head is shoved pretty far up your own arse these days, but you really might want to get out and about a bit more...

Problem with getting out when one's head is in that position is that one continually bumps into one's own biases, causing a ricocheting about like a pinball, making one dizzy and prone to making silly statements, or, at least, doing a silly walk.

#97 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2012-November-02, 11:08

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-November-02, 07:20, said:

According the Red Cross and other relief organizations, it isn't.
http://abcnews.go.co...to-canned-food/

and we all know how good the red cross is with such things... i get out and about quite often, thank you... it's why i'm such a success

#98 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2012-November-02, 15:31

View PostWinstonm, on 2012-November-02, 10:39, said:

Problem with getting out when one's head is in that position is that one continually bumps into one's own biases, causing a ricocheting about like a pinball, making one dizzy and prone to making silly statements, or, at least, doing a silly walk.

we should all be as unbiased as you... and don't get me started on your silly (some might say usefully idiotic, but i'm too charitable to do that) posts

#99 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2012-November-02, 16:09

View Postluke warm, on 2012-November-02, 15:31, said:

we should all be as unbiased as you... don't get me started on your silly (some might say usefully idiotic, but i'm too charitable to do that) posts

Gee, Mr. Charitable, thanks ever so much. I was cringing awaiting lukewarm wrath.

#100 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2012-November-02, 16:13

View Postluke warm, on 2012-November-02, 11:08, said:

and we all know how good the red cross is with such things... i get out and about quite often, thank you... it's why i'm such a success

quoting your cited article:

Update: (9:40 a.m. 11/2/12): Mr. Molinaro said after his outburst, the Red Cross arrived with the needed soup.

In times of crisis and high emotions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't.

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users