• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO mobile app 3.1 released

#61 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-11, 10:15

As promised, we have released an update to our mobile app. If you have a tablet or a smartphone (Apple, most Android devices and Amazon Kindle Fire), please get the new and improved BBO app. We call this app version 3.1

What's new?
Create a BBO user ID if needed
Maintain your friends list
Browse lists of your friends, stars, yellow hosts
Play with other people via "Help me find a game"
Chat with people
Various bug fixes and improvements

In addition, you will still be able to play with robots but will need to select the "Play anonymously" option to do so. We expect to keep adding to our app in the coming months. Stay tuned!

Please add your comments/suggestions to the suggestion thread Fred created previously.
http://www.bridgebas..._40#entry651694
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#62 User is offline   bradd 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-July-11, 14:34

When I go to Play Store and search on Bridge Base Online, I don't get Fred's application coming up. My phone is a Galaxy Mini, so I should be able to use it. Does this mean that my particular model isn't supported? If so, will that change in the next update?

#63 User is offline   bradd 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-July-11, 15:36

I have a Galaxy Tablet 10.1 and much prefer to use the ordinary (android) browser version of BBO (having just tried out this mobile/tablet version). The only problem is it's now impossible to log in using the browser. Orginally I was able to log in if I was careful, then it became more difficult still and now I can't get any letters to type in to the password box. Apologies if this is off topic.

#64 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-July-11, 15:58

bradd, on 2012-July-11, 15:36, said:

I have a Galaxy Tablet 10.1 and much prefer to use the ordinary (android) browser version of BBO (having just tried out this mobile/tablet version). The only problem is it's now impossible to log in using the browser. Orginally I was able to log in if I was careful, then it became more difficult still and now I can't get any letters to type in to the password box. Apologies if this is off topic.

Try just clicking on "login" (maybe your password is saved) or typing your password and clicking on "login", not caring if any characters come up in the field.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#65 User is offline   katiekat1 

• Pip

Posted 2012-July-11, 18:03

I just downloaded the App to my iPad2 and it's great. Thanks BBO!

#66 User is offline   bradd 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-July-11, 18:34

gwnn, on 2012-July-11, 15:58, said:

Try just clicking on "login" (maybe your password is saved) or typing your password and clicking on "login", not caring if any characters come up in the field.

I tried that, but it doesn't work. The login input box is highlighted, but I can't get anything to stick in there. That didn't used to be the case a few months ago. I've had a firmware upgrade since then, perhaps that's why.

#67 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-July-11, 18:55

bradd, on 2012-July-11, 18:34, said:

I tried that, but it doesn't work. The login input box is highlighted, but I can't get anything to stick in there. That didn't used to be the case a few months ago. I've had a firmware upgrade since then, perhaps that's why.

There have been other threads about using the BBO web app on Android devices. Please search for those threads, as people have reported similar password problems and recommended solutions. Let's keep this thread focused on the mobile app, thanks.

#68 User is offline   bradd 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-July-11, 20:27

Thanks barmar, it turns out that turning off predictive text fixed the problem for me.

But I'm still wondering why I can't access the mobile version for my Samsung Mini smartphone - it just doesn't show up in the search for BBO in the Play Store. I can only assume my particular model isn't compatible for some reason. I found it OK on the tablet, but as I mentioned above, the standard version works better for me on the Galaxy 10.1 - I can view it in landscape mode too.

Maybe the next mobile version will fix this, do you think?

#69 User is offline   8po 

• Pip

Posted 2012-July-11, 20:34

the upgraded app of bbo is almost perfect with all the basic features for logging in as oneself, playing with human and chatting with them. the chat is supporting multi languages. the only bug i've found so far on my android phone is that u cannot delete the word u've typed wrong. u hv the press "cancel" and re-type the whole thing instead of just that word.

Thanks Fred and bbo for the great app

#70 User is offline   chebfarid 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-July-12, 01:28

8po, on 2012-July-11, 20:34, said:

the upgraded app of bbo is almost perfect with all the basic features for logging in as oneself, playing with human and chatting with them. the chat is supporting multi languages. the only bug i've found so far on my android phone is that u cannot delete the word u've typed wrong. u hv the press "cancel" and re-type the whole thing instead of just that word.

Thanks Fred and bbo for the great app
Quote everything - really a great job, every announced feature works perfectly on my iPad.
Looking forward to v. 3.2 :)

Ciao
Farid

#71 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-12, 01:31

It's great to see these further enhancements and I don't think I'm far away from the iPad being my standard means of using BBO.

What I'd really like to see in the next version is:

1. Landscape option.
2. Other room result when kibitzing a teamsmatch or watching vugraph.
3. Non-simulataneous card-play when a robot is declaring.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#72 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2012-July-12, 08:37

I'm really excited about the app, and it's coming along great so far, with the ability now to be taken to a table to play humans (with a partner or solo) and other niceties that come with being logged in and having a friend list.

The interface is well designed. The ability to choose whether to confirm cards and bids is great, and reviewing results works very nicely.

Even just playing the robots is a great deal more fun than the other bridge programs for iOS, with the ability to compare against real people playing the same robots.

A few comments:

1. In the iOS store, searching for "bridgebase" returns no results since the release of version 3.1 (previously it worked). You have to search for "bridge base" instead. Just a minor marketing issue. Maybe there's a way to add keywords to your app.

2. Landscape orientation would be great. Failing that, it'd be nice to be able to at least flip vertically, as I like holding the device with the power cord coming out the top when it's charging (as opposed to out the bottom into my lap).

3. It's not really a problem, but the whole thing seems very slightly sluggish. Is this just the non-native coding (which I understand you have to do) combined with the mobile processor, or is there something possibly to be done to make it more snappy?

#73 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-July-12, 13:21

By coincidence I stumbled upon the other thread, announcing the BBO app. Obviously I downloaded it immediately, I wasn't even aware BBO had created an app which works on an iPhone. Wonderful initiative, thanks a lot!

What I'd suggest is a link to the vugraph broadcasts. I can already watch this using Safari, so definitely not a high priority. Adding a simple hyperlink probably isn't that much effort and it would include nice functionality (although it doesn't keep you in your app). Adding a button would obviously be nicer, but will require more effort, so a link might be useful for the time being.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#74 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-12, 15:50

Nice improvement!

I would strongly suggest using more obvious controls and less reliance on fortunate random taps. That approach makes all 3 versions harder to learn. The graphics looks more polished than the previous two versions - bbowin, and web.

BBO Web and Mobile Apps should look as much alike as possible! and the behavior should be identical. That is not to say that a spin object should not appear on a mobile device, and a drop down using web browser, but getting either event to occur should happen as the result of the same action on either.

Is there an analog to right clicking on iPad, iPhone, etc. (double tap)? If so, put it in the help, and make it work the same.

I also echo the sentiment of making landscape work.

For a kibber, it is really annoying that the mobile screen saver results in a lost connection. Can you fix that, so that when you swipe back on, the application is still live and not logged out?

My $0.02.

#75 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-12, 17:48

semeai, on 2012-July-12, 08:37, said:

2. Landscape orientation would be great. Failing that, it'd be nice to be able to at least flip vertically, as I like holding the device with the power cord coming out the top when it's charging (as opposed to out the bottom into my lap).

If you orientate your iPad with the power cable at the top before you launch the BBO app it will present itself the right-way up.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#76 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2012-July-13, 10:21

mrdct, on 2012-July-12, 17:48, said:

If you orientate your iPad with the power cable at the top before you launch the BBO app it will present itself the right-way up.

Indeed! Thanks for the tip. :)

#77 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-July-13, 23:43

bradd, on 2012-July-11, 20:27, said:

But I'm still wondering why I can't access the mobile version for my Samsung Mini smartphone - it just doesn't show up in the search for BBO in the Play Store.

We've submitted it to the Apple App Store, the Android Market, the Kindle Store, and if we haven't yet we'll probably submit it to the Nook Store when Fred gets back from Philly.

#78 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-July-16, 17:29

The mobile app is great, the only reservations I have is that the robot players are truly awful. Is it possible for them to be programmed to play their lowest card unless they have a good reason not to? They behave rather like my 8-year-old niece playing on Bridge Baron, who hasn't quite grasped that bridge is a partnership game, i.e. that you shouldn't play your queen on top of your partner's jack. Another thing that might be improved is that it is difficult to tell who just led a card, and whose turn it is, since the cards all go in the middle of the table and the person whose turn it is isn't highlighted in any way.
That said the Vugraph is awesome, I never even knew that voice commentary was possible! Also the graphics are quite pretty.
I Transfers

#79 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-July-16, 22:27

Quantumcat, on 2012-July-16, 17:29, said:

The mobile app is great, the only reservations I have is that the robot players are truly awful.

They're the same as the basic robots in regular BBO.

#80 User is offline   Jaom 

• PipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:bridge laws, webmastering

Posted 2012-July-17, 06:11

Why playing tournaments and fining tables is impossible on iPad app? Will this featuure be added in next realases?

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users