• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

loads of LA

#21 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-20, 04:16

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-May-19, 09:22, said:

The part I bolded (emboldened?) Is a work of art.

Thank you. :)

Perhaps your idea of establishing hearts is more appropriate than my blast; but my brain would fry trying to ignore what pard thinks is happening and converting each continuation into what the bids would mean with a hand he doesn't have and a system we don't play.

That is why it horrifies me that some TDs will hand out PPs in cases like this. For most people it is extremely hard to do.

So, I will speed the train toward the wreck. Yes, that is me using the UI :rolleyes:

As long as the wreck is pretty much "the worst wreck possible", I have no problem with that. But people (not you) sometimes come up with wrecks that look better than they deserve (e.g. blasting 7-3 where a careful auction would/might have led to 7NTXX-many). It is less likely that the opponents will call the TD if they have a score of 80% on the board, even if they are entitled to a score of 100%. The offenders might respond: "You got a good board. What more do you want?" (and, unfortunately, some TDs will respond the same).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#22 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 08:42

Well, my better half (without the UI) insists 3H is the only rebid for responder. So, maybe 4NT to avoid the torture is not a L.A.

Can they rule that even though I obtained a bad result, I didn't make myself miserable long enough while doing it, and add a PP?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#23 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-May-20, 09:54

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-May-20, 08:42, said:

Well, my better half (without the UI) insists 3H is the only rebid for responder. So, maybe 4NT to avoid the torture is not a L.A.

Can they rule that even though I obtained a bad result, I didn't make myself miserable long enough while doing it, and add a PP?

We put off changing to playing transfer responses for ages because it's something that, if you forget, is more or less guaranteed to ensure a train wreck.

#24 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 11:13

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-May-20, 08:42, said:

Can they? Sure. Should they? Probably not.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#25 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-May-21, 10:33

First of all, let me dispose of a red herring. It is not just a question of LAs: we have discussed this many times here, on other forums, and in various other places, and it is accepted under some Law or other that a TD or AC can disallow a call that is not an LA if it is suggested over an LA by the UI. If anyone does not understand this or wants to challenge this assertion, feel free, but please start another thread, please do not hijack this one.

So it is not just a question of LAs. For example, I do not think 6 is an LA, but it might work to shut partner up, and I would definitely rule it back if it worked.

As to logical bids, it is difficult to see beyond 3 if 4NT would be RKCB, because the K is not relevant. On the other hand, if playing simple Blackwood, 4NT seems obvious: after a natural 2 rebid surely you are bidding a grand if you are not missing an ace?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#26 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-May-21, 11:40

View Postbluejak, on 2012-May-21, 10:33, said:

As to logical bids, it is difficult to see beyond 3 if 4NT would be RKCB, because the K is not relevant. On the other hand, if playing simple Blackwood, 4NT seems obvious: after a natural 2 rebid surely you are bidding a grand if you are not missing an ace?

This is getting off the purpose of the thread, but HUH????
If I hold AXX of the alleged trump suit, how can the spade king (and maybe Queen) not be relevant? (KQXX X AKX AQJXX)
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#27 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-May-21, 11:42

I have not gone through all the possible hands, but my instinct is that if partner does not have the K then the compensating values needed to force to game means you have 13 tricks anyway.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#28 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-21, 16:00

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-May-21, 11:40, said:

This is getting off the purpose of the thread, but HUH????
If I hold AXX of the alleged trump suit, how can the spade king (and maybe Queen) not be relevant? (KQXX X AKX AQJXX)

I don't think anyone is proposing ever playing in 7. Those who bid 4NT were presumably looking for 7NT.

Opposite the hand you give you want to be in 7NT. Opposite Qxxx, x, AKx, AKQJx you want to be in 7NT. Opposite KQxx, x, KQx, AKQJx you want to be in 6NT. If 4NT is simple blackwood then it will distinguish between the last two hands; if it is RKCB for spades it will not.

#29 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-May-21, 16:42

View Postbluejak, on 2012-May-21, 10:33, said:

First of all, let me dispose of a red herring. It is not just a question of LAs: we have discussed this many times here, on other forums, and in various other places, and it is accepted under some Law or other that a TD or AC can disallow a call that is not an LA if it is suggested over an LA by the UI. If anyone does not understand this or wants to challenge this assertion, feel free, but please start another thread, please do not hijack this one.

In disposing of this particular red herring it is simplest to quote the WBFLC minutes from Philadelphia in 2010: "It was agreed that the call actually chosen by a player is normally considered to be among the logical alternatives with respect to the application of Law 16B1."
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#30 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-May-21, 16:54

View Postgnasher, on 2012-May-21, 16:42, said:

In disposing of this particular red herring it is simplest to quote the WBFLC minutes from Philadelphia in 2010: "It was agreed that the call actually chosen by a player is normally considered to be among the logical alternatives with respect to the application of Law 16B1."

This comes up so often -- perhaps the next version of the Laws can make it clear that being a "logical alternative" is a basis for being "ruled in", not "ruled out".
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#31 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-21, 21:46

Grattan Endicott once suggested to me that the intended meaning of the phrase "logical alternative" is something more like "plausible alternative for the class of player concerned". That was before the 2007 laws were drafted, so for the life of me I don't know why they didn't change the wording in the law.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#32 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-May-21, 22:32

"Plausible" is a good word, because it seems to leave no doubt that the call actually chosen is included.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users