Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tips for Forum Newbies general netiquette

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-September-06, 10:13

I have complained about the Forum regulars attitude toward newcomers quite a few times, but the solution is probably to help them out with a few basic netiquette tips. I am rather new to all this myself, so please add your own tips and tricks for successful BBF-ing:

• Read the BBF Terms of Service
  • Lurk more. Lurking is when you hang around without contributing so that when you are ready to contribute, you know what to do, and what not to do. This usually avoids getting sarcastic replies.
  • Before posting something run a Search and make sure the subject you have in mind hasn't been covered already. There is a Search box at the top of the window. Google Search is even better. Click here to see How to use Google to search the BBF
  • Don't type in CAPS. This is perceived as rude and it is the equivalent of "yelling".
  • Don't abuse fonts, emoticons, suit symbols or memes.
  • Don't post in specialized Forums unless you are qualified to do that. Sarcastic replies in the Expert Forums for example are not likely to be moderated.
  • Get started in the Novice/Beginner or Intermediate/Advanced Forums if you have bridge questions. You will get thoughtful answers from the experts.
  • If you feel like posting something silly please go ahead - there is a Water Cooler Forum just for that.
  • When you get in trouble or run out of arguments post a cat picture.

Edit: This is already mentioned in the Forum Rules, but do not post Abuse issues in the Forums. If someone is rude, or if you suspect a pair is cheating, or if anything else bothers you about other BBO members send a mail to abuse@bridgebase.com. They have the tools to investigate and take the necessary measures.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-06, 11:42

Try to post in the most specific forum for your topic. The forums are divided into general categories:

Bridge-Related Discussion - for discussions about bridge that are not specific to BBO.
Bridge Base Online Discussion - for topics specific to BBO.
Bridge Base Technical Support Forum - for Bridge Base products other than BBO
International Forum - for non-English discussions
Off-Topic - here's where the Water Cooler is
International Bridge Laws Forum - for discussions of bridge laws, director rulings, appeals (this area is preferable to the General Bridge Discussion forum)

Your post may be moved by a moderator if there's a more appropriate place for it.

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-September-06, 12:34

Don't approach a problem as trying to get justification for a position that you took. Learning and contributing on here is about being open minded and respecting the opinions of players that are better than you. Figuring out who actually is good and who just posts for fun and isn't that good may not be obvious to a new member so as Diana says you may want to lurk for awhile before you take someone on.

For instance, maybe you disagree with something that JLogic says. Maybe you don't even know who he is. There's at least a 98% chance that he's right and you're wrong. On the 2% that you are right, its for reasons that you don't understand anyway. :)

Sorry to sound harsh about this, but there's a reason that some people are really good at this game. They are talented and spend a lot of time getting better.

If you respect their opinions, instead of trying to get into a mental brawl with him, you'll do better and won't be scorned.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-September-07, 03:11

Don't post old memes.
I don't understand this part. Could you explain it better?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 03:53

Hmm i was half kidding when i wrote this, but i guess is sounds kinda authoritative, and that was not my intention. Edited OP to remove it.

To explain why i added that: I find answering a question with a meme, especially a cliche one, mildly annoying.

View Postgwnn, on 2011-September-07, 03:11, said:

I don't understand this part. Could you explain it better?

Old meme

#6 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 04:24

If you're receptive of feedback, I'd say "getting sarcastic replies from forum regulars" should be the exception and not the rule, so if this is a common occurrence, the problem might lie with the regulars.

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 04:35

View PostAntrax, on 2011-September-07, 04:24, said:

If you're receptive of feedback, I'd say "getting sarcastic replies from forum regulars" should be the exception and not the rule, so if this is a common occurrence, the problem might lie with the regulars.

Yes that too. But on the other hand i can understand them getting fed up with "Hi, I'm new here - let's have ratings" kind of post, when there's a big sticky right above their nose. So we should probably work both ways

- get the regulars to be more patient (if you cant say something nice/useful don't say anything)
- educate newcomers and provide better information about how to get around.

Many of the BBO and BBF newbies are not familiar at all with the online environment and are completely unaware that what they are doing may be unpleasant to others.

#8 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-September-07, 07:25

Good initiative, although you make the forum regulars sound a little like criminals. ;)

View Postdiana_eva, on 2011-September-06, 10:13, said:

[*]Before posting something run a Search and make sure the subject you have in mind hasn't been covered already. There is a Search box at the top of the window.

I would add that Google is perhaps an even better alternative if you want to find something quickly.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 07:48

I think we would need to build better search functions before we can reasonably expect newcomers to avoid asking questions that have been answered a zillion times.

By "search function" I do not necessarily mean keyword or phrase search. For newcomers who are not aware of BBF jargon (and especially those with limited knowledge of US-English bridge jargon and with the BBO interface), an index tree may be more useful for some queries.

The BBF search function is pretty useless. Google search is a lot better but still it may take some skills to write effective search terms for certain queries.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 07:54

View PostFree, on 2011-September-07, 07:25, said:

Good initiative, although you make the forum regulars sound a little like criminals. ;)

I would add that Google is perhaps an even better alternative if you want to find something quickly.

Very sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like that. I have a great respect for regular posters here and i am pretty sure most of the "conflicts" that may appear come from misunderstandings rather than bad will from either side.

Google search is better, indeed.

#11 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-September-08, 05:55

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-September-07, 07:48, said:

Google search is a lot better but still it may take some skills to write effective search terms for certain queries.

Starting your query with "bridge" helps a lot. B-)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-08, 13:48

It helps a bit. But I still often get lots of web pages about bridges rather than the card game, unless the rest of the search string contains bridge jargon (e.g. convention names).

E.g. try "cohen bridge"; most of the first page of results are about a film "Cohen on the Bridge", but a few Larry Cohen pages slip in.

#13 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-08, 17:16

ah, I meant using google to search the forum. For example, to find a forum post about prune juice, google
site:bridgebase.com "prune juice"
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-10, 13:45

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-September-08, 17:16, said:

ah, I meant using google to search the forum. For example, to find a forum post about prune juice, google
site:bridgebase.com "prune juice"

Using google to search the forum is an improvement on the forum's built in search engine, of that there is no doubt. And yet I find even the google method frustrating in the extreme.

I remember posting a scheme of responses to 2N and/or 2C openers, some time around 2004 or 2005, but I cannot find it now, even using google. It would help if there were some way of filtering by period and original poster to a thread. Google advanced search seems to have a feature that allows you to search by period but even that only allows you to select by drop down menu, not by specifying a custom start and end date.

21st century and we still seem to be in the dark ages.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#15 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-September-10, 17:59

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-September-10, 13:45, said:

Using google to search the forum is an improvement on the forum's built in search engine, of that there is no doubt. And yet I find even the google method frustrating in the extreme.

I remember posting a scheme of responses to 2N and/or 2C openers, some time around 2004 or 2005, but I cannot find it now, even using google. It would help if there were some way of filtering by period and original poster to a thread. Google advanced search seems to have a feature that allows you to search by period but even that only allows you to select by drop down menu, not by specifying a custom start and end date.

21st century and we still seem to be in the dark ages.

Is this it? http://www.bridgebas...e-1n-responses/

Found that in about 2 seconds so probably not what you are looking for but you seem to have put in a ton of work, its a NT response structure, and its in late 2004.

#16 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-September-11, 01:33

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-September-10, 17:59, said:

Is this it? http://www.bridgebas...e-1n-responses/

Found that in about 2 seconds so probably not what you are looking for but you seem to have put in a ton of work, its a NT response structure, and its in late 2004.

Thanks for trying, but no. It was a few weeks or months after that thread, and definitely was to do with the 2N opener (or possibly 2C) not the 1N opener.
(I am only confused about whether it was 2N or 2C because of similarities in the response structures of those openers)
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#17 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-September-11, 08:02

http://www.bridgebas...3300#entry33300

Edit: I used the Forum search feature, searching for the word "structure" in a post by 1eyedjack.

This post has been edited by Bbradley62: 2011-September-11, 08:05

#18 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-September-11, 10:25

View PostBbradley62, on 2011-September-11, 08:02, said:

http://www.bridgebas...3300#entry33300

Edit: I used the Forum search feature, searching for the word "structure" in a post by 1eyedjack.

Yup, that was it. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users