BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#20421 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-September-12, 20:11

The average American is an enemy of the people:

Ibsen said:

Hovstad. The majority always has right on its side.Billing. And truth too, by God!

Dr. Stockmann. The majority never has right on its side. Never, I say! That is one of these social lies against which an independent, intelligent man must wage war. Who is it that constitute the majority of the population in a country? Is it the clever folk, or the stupid? I don't imagine you will dispute the fact that at present the stupid people are in an absolutely overwhelming majority all the world over. But, good Lord!—you can never pretend that it is right that the stupid folk should govern the clever ones! (Uproar and cries.) Oh, yes—you can shout me down, I know! But you cannot answer me. The majority has might on its side—unfortunately; but right it has not. I am in the right—I and a few other scattered individuals. The minority is always in the right. (Renewed uproar.)

Hovstad. Aha!—so Dr. Stockmann has become an aristocrat since the day before yesterday!

Dr. Stockmann. I have already said that I don't intend to waste a word on the puny, narrow-chested, short-winded crew whom we are leaving astern. Pulsating life no longer concerns itself with them. I am thinking of the few, the scattered few amongst us, who have absorbed new and vigorous truths. Such men stand, as it were, at the outposts, so far ahead that the compact majority has not yet been able to come up with them; and there they are fighting for truths that are too newly-born into the world of consciousness to have any considerable number of people on their side as yet.

Hovstad. So the Doctor is a revolutionary now!

Dr. Stockmann. Good heavens—of course I am, Mr. Hovstad! I propose to raise a revolution against the lie that the majority has the monopoly of the truth. What sort of truths are they that the majority usually supports? They are truths that are of such advanced age that they are beginning to break up. And if a truth is as old as that, it is also in a fair way to become a lie, gentlemen. (Laughter and mocking cries.) Yes, believe me or not, as you like; but truths are by no means as long-lived at Methuselah—as some folk imagine. A normally constituted truth lives, let us say, as a rule seventeen or eighteen, or at most twenty years—seldom longer. But truths as aged as that are always worn frightfully thin, and nevertheless it is only then that the majority recognises them and recommends them to the community as wholesome moral nourishment. There is no great nutritive value in that sort of fare, I can assure you; and, as a doctor, I ought to know. These "majority truths" are like last year's cured meat—like rancid, tainted ham; and they are the origin of the moral scurvy that is rampant in our communities.

#20422 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2022-September-13, 06:22

View PostChas_P, on 2022-September-12, 17:47, said:

What I'm wonderin' is, "How is all this bullshit helping the average American?" How is all the bitchin' and moanin' about Trump helping the guys and gals who get up every morning, go to work to support their families, and try to be happy. I don't get it. I just don't see Trump trying to bring the average American down; by the same token, I don't see Biden trying to bring the average American up. As the King of Siam said, "It is a puzzlement."

You are not quite the average American. Remember, Republicans don't win the popular vote since 2004.

Hopefully you will be FAR FAR FAR removed, over time.

And the answer to the question is so far removed from your capabilities, that no matter how it is explained to you, you wouldn't understand it.

Here's a start, though: Let's talk about Trump's accomplishments....

#20423 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-13, 13:56

Basically, Chas_P is fine if the US' secret knowledge about other countries' nuclear program falls into the wrong hands as long as it doesn't affect his personal life. He is fine if other countries uncover the identity of CIA informants as long it doesn't directly reduce Chas_P's retirement income.

And he probably thinks of himself as honourable and patriotic...
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#20424 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-September-13, 14:52

View Postcherdano, on 2022-September-13, 13:56, said:

Basically, Chas_P is fine if the US' secret knowledge about other countries' nuclear program falls into the wrong hands as long as it doesn't affect his personal life. He is fine if other countries uncover the identity of CIA informants as long it doesn't directly reduce Chas_P's retirement income.

And he probably thinks of himself as honourable and patriotic...

You are giving him far too much credit. He was not fine about the potential of 3 low level classified documents falling into enemy hands via a private email server. But ~200 classified documents including the most sensitive information held by the US government being put in a location easily accessible by foreign intelligence agencies - that's no problem!

#20425 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2022-September-13, 16:20

GOP IQ test:

What did Trump say about x?
What did Lindsey Graham say about x?
What did Tucker Carlson say about x?
What did Sean Hannity say about x?
What did.Alex Jones say about x?
What did Steve Bannon say about x?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#20426 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-13, 16:36

View PostGilithin, on 2022-September-13, 14:52, said:

You are giving him far too much credit. He was not fine about the potential of 3 low level classified documents falling into enemy hands via a private email server. But ~200 classified documents including the most sensitive information held by the US government being put in a location easily accessible by foreign intelligence agencies - that's no problem!

I stand corrected. I thought these comments exhibited him as selfish and unpatriotic, when in fact, they exhibited him as a selfish and unpatriotic hypocrite.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#20427 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-13, 17:59

View PostGerardo, on 2022-September-13, 06:22, said:

You are not quite the average American.

Nor are you. You moved from Argentina to wed a woman in Nova Scotia. That's OK. I wish you well. That's my whole point. I wish everyone well.

#20428 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2022-September-14, 07:07

View PostGilithin, on 2022-September-13, 14:52, said:

You're missing the real point...

Were any blacks or involved hispanics involved?
I'm sure that this would have a significant impact on his opinions...
Alderaan delenda est

#20429 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2022-September-14, 07:10

View PostChas_P, on 2022-September-13, 17:59, said:

Nor are you. You moved from Argentina to wed a woman in Nova Scotia. That's OK. I wish you well. That's my whole point. I wish everyone well.

Bullshit

You're a racist 80 year old cracker, revelling in the fact that you now get to relive the racist glory of your youth on the internet.

Geraldo's ethnicity has nothing to do with the argument that he's making
You introduced this in the belief that its a slur

You're claims that you "wish everyone well"

That's another lie. You're a self admitted troll
You don't troll discussion forums because you wish the inhabitants well

You're a sad broke man.
The world will be much better once you're dead.

Why BBO ever allowed you to serve as a Yellow is incompressible

You don't lay down with dogs without getting fleas
Alderaan delenda est

#20430 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2022-September-14, 14:33

I have a work-a-round for abortion law: let each family set its own law. If DeSantis wants to make it illegal for his own children to have an abortion, he files that with the state and it becomes law for his family. But his family law only applies to his family.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#20431 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-14, 15:46

View PostWinstonm, on 2022-September-14, 14:35, said:

I have a work-a-round for abortion law: let each family set its own law. If DeSantis wants to make it illegal for his own children to have an abortion, he files that with the state and it becomes law for his family. But his family law only applies to his family.

How is this a workaround? If blue states enact this law and red states stick with their total bans, poor families will likely end up even worse off than they already are.

#20432 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2022-September-14, 16:09

View PostGilithin, on 2022-September-14, 15:46, said:

How is this a workaround? If blue states enact this law and red states stick with their total bans, poor families will likely end up even worse off than they already are.

National law. It supersedes.
And how could Republicans attack it as it limits government power and restores rights to individuals. And if a fetus is considered a person then the mother and father are already parents so you are allowing each family to make decisions concerning their own child.

It is all tongue-in- cheek if you haven’t figured that part out.😄

#20433 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-14, 16:36

View PostWinstonm, on 2022-September-14, 16:09, said:

National law. It supersedes.

If Democrats could get a national law through - any national law - it would not be an issue. But there are not the votes to get through a filibuster, so it is going to take women to vote blue in huge numbers if they want to see a positive resolution to the whole thing. Otherwise, all Democrats can do is pass state laws. The best workaround currently there is to pass a Texas-style private action law targeting guns. But now that Roe and Casey have been washed away, Republicans do not even need those so the SCOTUS can happily fast track a denial.

#20434 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-14, 19:25

View Posthrothgar, on 2022-September-14, 07:10, said:

Bullshit

You're a racist 80 year old cracker, revelling in the fact that you now get to relive the racist glory of your youth on the internet.

Geraldo's ethnicity has nothing to do with the argument that he's making
You introduced this in the belief that its a slur

You're claims that you "wish everyone well"

That's another lie. You're a self admitted troll
You don't troll discussion forums because you wish the inhabitants well

You're a sad broke man.
The world will be much better once you're dead.

Why BBO ever allowed you to serve as a Yellow is incompressible

You don't lay down with dogs without getting fleas

The amusement continues. Please do carry on. You definitely are a legend in your own mind.

#20435 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-14, 20:28

This seems like an appropriate time to post an article about what has gone wrong with BBF.

#20436 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2022-September-14, 21:27

View PostGilithin, on 2022-September-14, 16:36, said:

If Democrats could get a national law through - any national law - it would not be an issue. But there are not the votes to get through a filibuster, so it is going to take women to vote blue in huge numbers if they want to see a positive resolution to the whole thing. Otherwise, all Democrats can do is pass state laws. The best workaround currently there is to pass a Texas-style private action law targeting guns. But now that Roe and Casey have been washed away, Republicans do not even need those so the SCOTUS can happily fast track a denial.

No, they only need enough votes to eliminate the filibuster. That could be much less than the 60 needed for a supermajority.

#20437 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-15, 04:38

Anyone for volleyball in Mississippi?

#20438 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2022-September-15, 07:11

View PostChas_P, on 2022-September-14, 19:25, said:

The amusement continues. Please do carry on. You definitely are a legend in your own mind.

Here's the thing Chas

This isn't all in my own mind.
Its the view of most of the folks of the forum.'

I simply repost this every now and then for the benefits of anyone new to the thread

However, if you like, we can test this

Anyone here willing to stand up for Chas?

Anyone actually believe that he's not a racist piece of *****?
Anyone think that he's not a troll?
Alderaan delenda est

#20439 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-15, 17:19

View Posthrothgar, on 2022-September-15, 07:11, said:

Here's the thing Chas
Anyone here willing to stand up for Chas?

I don't need anyone to stand up for me. You, OTOH, seem greatly in need of affirmation. I wish you happiness.

#20440 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2022-September-16, 04:19

View PostChas_P, on 2022-September-15, 17:19, said:

I don't need anyone to stand up for me. You, OTOH, seem greatly in need of affirmation. I wish you happiness.

Stupid stupid little Chas

Can't even remember what he writes from day to day

Well, you're in your 80s
Alzheimers is probably setting in

Quick reminder

You started out by claiming that I am a legend in my own mind
I responded by pointing out that my claims are actually well in accord with the opinions of folks on forums
MULTIPLE people label you as a racist

Saying that you stand alone doesn't refute my basic claim
Indeed, you're conceding the point
Alderaan delenda est

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

74 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 74 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google