BBO Discussion Forums: Do You Or Don't You? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do You Or Don't You? Is it worth the it?

#1 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-October-13, 18:48

All vulnerable. No special understandings. Overcall max would be around 16-17. Raise is constructive. Do you move or pass? If you bid, what, and if you pass, why? What would you expect partner's hand to be?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-October-13, 19:32

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-October-13, 18:48, said:

All vulnerable. No special understandings. Overcall max would be around 16-17. Raise is constructive. Do you move or pass? If you bid, what, and if you pass, why? What would you expect partner's hand to be?

I have sterile shape and a LTC of 7.

At MPs it’s a no-brainer: pass

At imps, being vulnerable, I’d need to know more about partner’s choices. I think playing a simple raise as constructive is odd, and I don’t know what it means in this situation.

Obviously it’s close at imps but on balance I expect pass to be the winning decision, unless constructive means something more than I’d expect.

Kxx xxxx AJx Qxx would seem full values for a constructive raise, and game is borderline at best, and could well have no play.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-13, 19:49

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-October-13, 18:48, said:

[size="3"]All vulnerable. No special understandings. Overcall max would be around 16-17. Raise is constructive. Do you move or pass?

Is your single raise significantly stronger than a single raise for an opening 1S bid? If not, and I think the range should be basically the same, would you try for game in the auction 1S-2S?

The other thing to consider is whether the opening bid has changed things significantly. Here knowing where the bulk of the points are going to be is only of moderate help. You have a couple of useful positions with AT in hearts and clubs, but it's not all that valuable. Your heart holding isn't great, with four points contributing to one trick and probably not setting up any others. So I can't see a good reason why my expected result in game is better than it is in a part-score.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-October-13, 19:57

WinstonM 'All vulnerable. No special understandings. Overcall max would be around 16-17. Raise is constructive. Do you move or pass? If you bid, what, and if you pass, why? What would you expect partner's hand to be?
++++++++++++++++++++
Partner's options would normally have included:
1. 2-level raise = usually 3-card support.
2. Higher raises = Pre-emptive with 4+ card support.
3. 2 Cue bid = More constructive with 3-card support..
4. 2N = Sound 4-card pudding raise. .
5. Jump shift = Sound 4-card raise. Splinter (shortage in bid suit) Or Fit-jump by agreement.
Now, Pass seems reasonable, especially at Pairs. WinstonM's hand is a sound overcall in terms of HCP and intermediates but with little to spare. Also, without special understandings, it's unclear how to express enthusiasm. Perhaps a 3 trial-bid would be OK but most players would need more for a 2N rebid.

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-October-13, 21:02

Just to help understanding, Kxx, Jxx, xxx, KQxx would be in the range of expected hands
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-October-13, 21:50

Simply NO. 3 aces, 2 out of 4 honours in trump suit, and all the '10' cards have no compensation for the balanced 5332 shape. when exploring game with a trial bid, that suit should either be A) a side suit where with partners help tricks can be established, or B) a possible weakness such as Kxx where partner can cover with an honour in his hand.

A trial bid of 3 does not meet criteria, so I pass 2 bid except perhaps that bid is constructive and shows 8-11 instead of weaker hand with a direct raise. If partner is 8-11 then I might make continue on, but how I am not really certain myself?

#7 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-14, 01:33

Pass for me as well. If I did want to bid on I'd bid 2NT, a value game try, expecting partner to show values/suit fragments.

#8 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-October-14, 02:13

Pass from me too. Even the maximum cited by Winstonm is far from being a great game contract. Significant chance of Jxxx offside too, given the opening bid and the lack of a raise from responder.

#9 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-October-14, 02:39

Pass. I don't know how good a "constructive" raise can be here but I suspect to make game it would require partner to have the perfect hand, and playing for partner to have the best hand possible only works in magazine bidding challenges, rarely at the table.

#10 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-14, 02:51

View PostDavidKok, on 2021-October-14, 01:33, said:

Pass for me as well. If I did want to bid on I'd bid 2NT, a value game try, expecting partner to show values/suit fragments.

Agree but for different reasons, if we're making a game 3N is much more likely than 4, what do we need ? K K and either Q or K plus enough diamonds they can't run 5

#11 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-14, 03:05

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-October-14, 02:51, said:

Agree but for different reasons, if we're making a game 3N is much more likely than 4, what do we need ? K K and either Q or K plus enough diamonds they can't run 5
2NT keeps 3NT in the picture, I don't think our reasons are all that different. With this many aces I am more inclined to look for 4 but partner is allowed to suggest 3NT over a game try, and with this hand I would pass if partner does.
By contrast, if I bid any new suit there is more focus on 4.

#12 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-October-14, 08:37

View Postsfi, on 2021-October-13, 19:49, said:

Is your single raise significantly stronger than a single raise for an opening 1S bid? If not, and I think the range should be basically the same, would you try for game in the auction 1S-2S?

The other thing to consider is whether the opening bid has changed things significantly. Here knowing where the bulk of the points are going to be is only of moderate help. You have a couple of useful positions with AT in hearts and clubs, but it's not all that valuable. Your heart holding isn't great, with four points contributing to one trick and probably not setting up any others. So I can't see a good reason why my expected result in game is better than it is in a part-score.

I have always used a rather old style where the top end of an overcall is around a bad 17 so simple raises should cater to that limited range: 8-10ish.

I like your analysis, especially the concern over the heart ace not providing its usual boost to secondary cards.

#13 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-October-14, 09:49

For sake of completion:

Spoiler

#14 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-14, 10:46

Spoiler

#15 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2021-October-14, 13:41

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-October-14, 02:51, said:

You need specific maximum holdings.
If your try for game on this hand you are going to be in game on hands where responder is 8-10 pts and you have no play or are not better than 50% for game.
Not to mention being in 3-1

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#16 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2021-October-14, 17:04

If I was at the table I would have bid 3 without thinking, as the hand is near to a maximum overcall.

I can't really understand the above reasoning as an overcall is about 8-16, therefore I expect a raise to have about 8-12. Bidding 3 here is to tell the advancer to go on 4 holding a maximum, and stop holding a minimum. A cuebid response to an overcall is the catch-all forcing bid, without showing or denying support, as all other bids are non-forcing.

#17 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-October-14, 19:18

View Postmikl_plkcc, on 2021-October-14, 17:04, said:

If I was at the table I would have bid 3 without thinking, as the hand is near to a maximum overcall.

I can't really understand the above reasoning as an overcall is about 8-16, therefore I expect a raise to have about 8-12. Bidding 3 here is to tell the advancer to go on 4 holding a maximum, and stop holding a minimum. A cuebid response to an overcall is the catch-all forcing bid, without showing or denying support, as all other bids are non-forcing.

As an attempt to offer a helpful suggestion, I would advise help suit game tries as location of cards is critical in close game decisions.

#18 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2021-October-14, 19:21

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-October-14, 19:18, said:

As an attempt to offer a helpful suggestion, I would advise help suit game tries as location of cards is critical in close game decisions.

My system has weak suit game try instead (that the suit is bid when holding xxx) - but it is difficult to see when I should use it.

#19 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-October-14, 20:27

View Postmikl_plkcc, on 2021-October-14, 19:21, said:

My system has weak suit game try instead (that the suit is bid when holding xxx) - but it is difficult to see when I should use it.

Basically there are two schools : short suit game tries and help suit. Short is good but infrequent which is why I chose help suit.

There are also 2-way tries and some I have overlooked.

#20 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-14, 20:49

View Postmikl_plkcc, on 2021-October-14, 17:04, said:

I can't really understand the above reasoning as an overcall is about 8-16, therefore I expect a raise to have about 8-12.

For me a raise to 2 is capped at a bad 10. Anything more starts with a cuebid (and it's commonly played that this promises support).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users