• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Change in Team Match Setup

#1 User is offline   gjfeldman 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-November-24, 11:19

There appears to be a change in the team match setup form. It used to stay active after the match started. It now disappears as soon as the invitations are sent. This leads to a waste of time, particularly when a player does not receive an invitation for some reason. Even without that, it is convenient to have it stay because usually the first two pages usually need minimal or no changes, and the third page often keeps some of the players in the same position. If others do want it to stay, they can simply close it.

Can we get this change reversed, or at least give an option to keep it around?

#2 User is offline   Brazil_5 

• Pip

Posted 2020-November-25, 14:48

View Postgjfeldman, on 2020-November-24, 11:19, said:

There appears to be a change in the team match setup form. It used to stay active after the match started. It now disappears as soon as the invitations are sent. This leads to a waste of time, particularly when a player does not receive an invitation for some reason. Even without that, it is convenient to have it stay because usually the first two pages usually need minimal or no changes, and the third page often keeps some of the players in the same position. If others do want it to stay, they can simply close it.

Can we get this change reversed, or at least give an option to keep it around?

This change is awfully bad, whenever someone do not accept the team match for whatever reason it has to be set up all over again, very wasteful in terms of time indeed.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-November-26, 17:36

This is a known problem, we're looking into it.

#4 User is offline   Evies Dad 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-November-28, 18:03

View Postbarmar, on 2020-November-26, 17:36, said:

This is a known problem, we're looking into it.

Thank you.
We also had this Thursday evening and it has been driving us mad ever since wondering what we did different to previous times.

Please can you advise when a decision has been made ?

#5 User is offline   gentgiant 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-November-29, 10:07

View PostEvies Dad, on 2020-November-28, 18:03, said:

Thank you.
We also had this Thursday evening and it has been driving us mad ever since wondering what we did different to previous times.

Please can you advise when a decision has been made ?

Ran an terclub teams session this afternon. 3 by 2 session matches.

A nightmare with the table creation window closing as it does now. The retyping when a player declines is horredous. I had to do one match 6 times!!!

#6 User is offline   gentgiant 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-December-03, 02:36

View Postgentgiant, on 2020-November-29, 10:07, said:

Ran an terclub teams session this afternon. 3 by 2 session matches.

A nightmare with the table creation window closing as it does now. The retyping when a player declines is horredous. I had to do one match 6 times!!!

Still waiting to hear if this has been resolved.

#7 User is offline   Tonyfrench 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-December-05, 03:56

View Postgentgiant, on 2020-December-03, 02:36, said:

Still waiting to hear if this has been resolved.

Not up to 12 hours ago, it remains a serious PIA.

#8 User is offline   gentgiant 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-December-10, 10:29

View PostTonyfrench, on 2020-December-05, 03:56, said:

Not up to 12 hours ago, it remains a serious PIA.

Seriously, is this fixed yet?

I have a County Teams event on Sunday. Four teams of eight to setup and in two sessions each. The prospect of having to retype all four 'pages' of the team set up if a player misses the invitation is horrendous.

#9 User is offline   gentgiant 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-December-11, 01:41

View Postgentgiant, on 2020-December-10, 10:29, said:

Seriously, is this fixed yet?

I have a County Teams event on Sunday. Four teams of eight to setup and in two sessions each. The prospect of having to retype all four 'pages' of the team set up if a player misses the invitation is horrendous.

Wondering if +nokill+ cures this? Anyone know?

#10 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-December-11, 01:55

View Postgentgiant, on 2020-December-11, 01:41, said:

Wondering if +nokill+ cures this? Anyone know?

I do not know the precise workings of +nokill+, but I suspect what this does is prevent BBO killing an empty, or non-full, team match that has been created. It is not applicable to match creation itself.

BBO typically kills 'zombie' team matches after a little time. They normally occur when people abandon a match because it was incorrectly set up and they do not know where the cancel option is.

The +nokill+ feature is often used when people are creating multiple team matches with the same boards and plan to invite people some time later. It allows them to set up the matches in advance.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#11 User is offline   maxgord 

• Pip

Posted 2020-December-11, 02:50

View Postpaulg, on 2020-December-11, 01:55, said:

I do not know the precise workings of +nokill+, but I suspect what this does is prevent BBO killing an empty, or non-full, team match that has been created. It is not applicable to match creation itself.

BBO typically kills 'zombie' team matches after a little time. They normally occur when people abandon a match because it was incorrectly set up and they do not know where the cancel option is.

The +nokill+ feature is often used when people are creating multiple team matches with the same boards and plan to invite people some time later. It allows them to set up the matches in advance.

Can confirm +nokill+ is not a workaround for this bug. I am wondering if +noinvite+ might do it.

#12 User is offline   gentgiant 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-December-11, 03:14

View Postpaulg, on 2020-December-11, 01:55, said:

Paul, thanks. But I don't see how using +nokill+ in the way you describe helps.

There is no second Create a Team Match while one window is live. Close it and it dissolves, so can still only set up one at a time.

If you have a routine that I can't work out, be pleased to hear it.

#13 User is offline   gentgiant 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-December-11, 03:47

View Postmaxgord, on 2020-December-11, 02:50, said:

Can confirm +nokill+ is not a workaround for this bug. I am wondering if +noinvite+ might do it.

Max, worrks up to a point. Matches stay 'alive' waiting for substitutions to be made at each seat - a cumbersome process at best.

But matches then time out after a few minutes. So not much help if trying to set up 4 matches, eac of two sessions.

#14 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2020-December-11, 04:35

View Postgentgiant, on 2020-December-11, 03:14, said:

Paul, thanks. But I don't see how using +nokill+ in the way you describe helps.

There is no second Create a Team Match while one window is live. Close it and it dissolves, so can still only set up one at a time.

If you have a routine that I can't work out, be pleased to hear it.

You create empty matches ahead of time using +private+ +nokill+ +slow+

These matches will not timeout and you can substitute people in at game time. It is a little cumbersome but easier than someone refusing with the current client especially when you are using pre-dealt boards.

Of course you need the privileges to use +nokill+ and multiple team matches. The EBU uses this method, combined with +noinvite+, to start its major events when they are organising the matches.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#15 User is offline   gentgiant 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-December-11, 04:50

Well, pre-set matches with +nokill+ and +private+ as well as with +noinvite+ seem to be surviving. But for how long?

There's then the issue of seating players opposite opponents and not in teams, now likely to introduce errors.

Match invitation refusals were always a nuisance but at least resending was once only one click away.

#16 User is offline   gentgiant 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-December-11, 04:52

View Postpaulg, on 2020-December-11, 04:35, said:

You create empty matches ahead of time using +private+ +nokill+ +slow+

These matches will not timeout and you can substitute people in at game time. It is a little cumbersome but easier than someone refusing with the current client especially when you are using pre-dealt boards.

Of course you need the privileges to use +nokill+ and multiple team matches. The EBU uses this method, combined with +noinvite+, to start its major events when they are organising the matches.

+slow+?

#17 User is offline   gentgiant 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-December-11, 06:19

View Postgentgiant, on 2020-December-11, 04:50, said:

Well, pre-set matches with +nokill+ and +private+ as well as with +noinvite+ seem to be surviving. But for how long?

There's then the issue of seating players opposite opponents and not in teams, now likely to introduce errors.

Match invitation refusals were always a nuisance but at least resending was once only one click away.

They all die if created too soon. About an hour.

Just fix the bug!

#18 User is offline   rph 

• Pip

Posted 2020-December-12, 10:06

Today, I organized 5 team matches with the same boards.

I found that I could create my match with the + private + + nokill + + slow + + noinvite + options, give the compute options (IMP), load the boards (Lin file), put my choices for the kibitz and others, I don't have not registered any players.
Then I pushed on create a match by 4, and without answering the window "Do you want to create a match with the Yes box", I clicked 4 times on "Create a match by 4" in the window with the options.
I was then able to answer Yes 5 times and validate ... my 5 matches were created. With edit, I just had to enter the name of the teams and then I could invite the players as before.
I know this is a workaround not compared to the difficulties encountered since the last version, but I saved a lot of time and less errors possible.

Sorry, French is my usual language. Thanks to Google for the translation.

#19 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2020-December-15, 07:54

It seems to be fixed now.
The Beer Card

#20 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2020-December-15, 10:36

View Postpaulg, on 2020-December-15, 07:54, said:

It seems to be fixed now.

But BBO has rolled back the update, so it is now back to broken. Hopefully this was not the component causing the problems and the fix will be part of a stable update in the near future.
The Beer Card

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users