BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1077 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#9341 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-February-15, 17:43

View Postdiana_eva, on 2018-February-15, 15:08, said:

No you don't. You always inject an "allegedly" somewhere even when the facts are staring you in the face or sitting three posts above you.
Unfortunately, we're not all blessed with the certainties of a Republican or a Democrat or an Atheist. If you're unsure of a "fact", then it's reasonable to qualify its quotation. IMO, many of the claims on this forum are unproven, some are disputed, and some are false.

#9342 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-February-15, 19:44

More bad news for fans of the president:

Washington (CNN)

Former Trump campaign adviser Rick Gates is finalizing a plea deal with special counsel Robert Mueller's office, indicating he's poised to cooperate in the investigation, according to sources familiar with the case.

Gates has already spoken to Mueller's team about his case and has been in plea negotiations for about a month. He's had what criminal lawyers call a "Queen for a Day" interview, in which a defendant answers any questions from the prosecutors' team, including about his own case and other potential criminal activity he witnessed.

Gates' cooperation could be another building block for Mueller in a possible case against President Donald Trump or key members of his team.

Once a plea deal is in place, Gates would become the third known cooperator in Mueller's sprawling probe into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election. It would also increase the pressure to cooperate on Gates' co-defendant Paul Manafort, Trump's former campaign chairman, who has pleaded not guilty to Mueller's indictment and is preparing for a trial on alleged financial crimes unrelated to the campaign. Gates pleaded not guilty on October 30 alongside Manafort.

It is amazing. Mueller seems to be running a classic organized-crime-family investigation and he keeps finding roaches under each rock he overturns. Money laundering, anyone?

Tick-tock, tick-tock...
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#9343 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-February-15, 19:54

View Postnige1, on 2018-February-15, 17:43, said:

Unfortunately, we're not all blessed with the certainties of a Republican or a Democrat or an Atheist. If you're unsure of a "fact", then it's reasonable to qualify its quotation. IMO, many of the claims on this forum are unproven and some are false.

Sorry, but how can you be "unsure" of a fact?

The Justice Department sued Donald Trump, his father, Fred, and Trump Management in order to obtain a settlement in which Trump and his father would promise not to discriminate.

This is what a fact looks like. Are you claiming doubt this happened?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#9344 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-February-16, 09:21

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-February-15, 19:54, said:

Sorry, but how can you be "unsure" of a fact?

"Fact" not "unsure" was in quotes. You can be unsure of what somebody else claims to be a "fact".

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-February-15, 19:54, said:

This is what a fact looks like. Are you claiming doubt this happened?

Straw man.

#9345 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-February-16, 09:42

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-February-15, 11:24, said:

And in all the investigations about Benghazi, what was found? Nothing. Nada.

You don't know how to think like a conspiracy theorist. This just reinforces their belief in how widespread the conspiracy is, the investigators are part of it or the conspirators have enough power to suppress their findings.

In Trump's America, "facts" are practically irrelevant. Stephen Colbert's "truthiness" has moved from a comedy show to the White House.

#9346 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-February-16, 10:52

View Postnige1, on 2018-February-16, 09:21, said:

"Fact" not "unsure" was in quotes. You can be unsure of what somebody else claims to be a "fact".

Straw man.

You can be ignorant of the facts but that does not alter the reality of a fact. Ignorance of facts can lead to erroneous conclusions. I doubt there is one among us who has not rowed that leaky boat. The only way to plug those holes is with solid information. Solid information is not found on the opinion isle or in the talk-show cooler. It comes from sources whose interest is presenting facts to the best of their ability, and the only way to do that is to multi-source.

In the same vein, denial of facts because of distaste for those particular facts is not the same as genuine ignorance.

#9347 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-February-16, 13:04

I was just told that the following is mandatory reading

https://www.justice....035477/download

Key comment by Rosenstein: “there is no allegation in THIS indictment that any American was a knowing participant...”
Alderaan delenda est

#9348 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-February-16, 14:22

And here's the plea agreement for the guy who was doing the money laundering

https://assets.docum...a-Agreement.pdf
Alderaan delenda est

#9349 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-February-16, 15:05

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-February-16, 13:04, said:

I was just told that the following is mandatory reading

https://www.justice....035477/download

Key comment by Rosenstein: “there is no allegation in THIS indictment that any American was a knowing participant...”

Notice the indictment states acts occurred "....Defendents, along with others known and unknown to the grand jury knowingly and intentionally conspired to defraud the United states....".

I am wondering who the known others are?

#9350 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-February-16, 15:16

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-February-16, 14:22, said:

And here's the plea agreement for the guy who was doing the money laundering

https://assets.docum...a-Agreement.pdf

3:15 p.m. Central time - CNN reporting he has pled guilty.

#9351 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-February-16, 15:32

In advance of the suspected spin, keep in mind that Rosenstein today did not clear anyone:

When Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein spoke to the press Friday, he repeatedly made it clear that his comments were specific to the federal grand jury indictment the special counsel's office had just announced.

#9352 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2018-February-16, 18:30

https://twitter.com/...594743320678401

The best defense is definitely "they didn't really support Trump per se it was just that him becoming President would obviously profoundly damage the United States!!" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#9353 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-February-16, 19:02

FWIW, here's the piece of the story that I really want to understand...

Everyone expected Trump to lose

• The media expected Trump to lose
  • The Clinton campaign ...
  • The Trump campaign ...
  • The Russians ...
  • You name it

What was the Russian game plan if the expected situation came to pass?

Given the number of Trump comments about rigged elections, I wouldn't be surprised if the real plan was for Trump to contest the election results.
And if this can be documented, we're talking high treason...
Alderaan delenda est

#9354 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-16, 20:09

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-February-16, 19:02, said:

• The Trump campaign ...
  • The Russians ...
  • You name it

Given the number of Trump comments about rigged elections, I wouldn't be surprised if the real plan was for Trump to contest the election results.

I can only speculate.

A: They believed just getting Trump into serious play would be highly disruptive. That certainly was correct. I gather that they also ere trying to help Sanders get the Dem nomination, perhaps thinking that also would shake things up a bit.

B: They were trying out some tools. Of course they had their research teams, their hackers, and their bots, but what works in one country does not necessarily work in another. So they thought of this as a trial version. If Trump had not won much of their activities would have, perhaps, been briefly noted but then forgotten. Then they could be fine-tuned for 2020.

C: They just figured to push as hard as they could and see what came up. This is really just a variant on B. I think a hard and cool look at HC would have shown her to be a very weak candidate.

D: They might well have thought they could bring some high level political operatives into some unwise liaisons that would be useful to them later. The stuff out today speaks of "unwitting participants" or something like that. That could lead to leverage.

To evaluate how they might have seen their chances, let's try to think like a cynical Russian for a minute, or maybe just any sort of cynic. Pick a random person, buy him a beer, and ask him to describe three or four things that come to mind regarding Hillary Clinton.
1. She was/is married to Bill Clinton, at least sort of.
2. She took on the job of putting a new health care system in place during the BC presidency. She failed.
3. She tried for the Democratic nomination in 2008. She failed.

I am imagining this conversation, or cynically imagined conversation, taking place back in 2014 so I won't include her failure to win in 2016.

More informed people might mention that she was a Senator or the Secretary of State but few of them could tell you what she accomplished in either of these positions. Perhaps people should be better informed. Perhaps I should be better informed. They aren't, I'm not. She needed votes from people that are not political junkies.

A cynic, or maybe just a realist, might well have foreseen an opportunity here.

So I don't know the answer to your question, I am speculating. I agree it's a good question. Actually I think it's a very good question.
Ken

#9355 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-16, 20:19

In the world of international intrigue, spies and their masters are continuously testing the limits and capabilities of their enemies. Methods and means are now such that highly sophisticated and even secure systems can be probed and exploited. The greater the access the easier the penetration and all of our electronic communication and social media are a vast new sea of opportunities to explore. Pretty much business as usual and unsurprising as the US is right in there with the rest of them.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#9356 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-February-16, 20:40

An attorney on MSNBC is suggesting that the new information tonight concerning alleged new crimes of Paul Manafort may be used to revoke bail and hold Manafort in jail until trial - which would put serious pressure on Manafort to make a deal. Reading tea leaves, it looks like Mueller may think Manafort is the key witness.

#9357 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-February-17, 00:09

• The Trump campaign ...
  • The Russians ...
  • You name it

To start to get a good handle on how the Russians work, you might want to go back and listen to the testimony of William Browder before the Senate Judiciary committee last summer. It was reportedly in regard to the FARA (Foreign Agents Registration Act), but the Senators quizzed him quite a bit about how the Russians operate, his view of the situation in Russia and some comments about Russian activity in the US concerning attempts to have the Magnitsky Act repealed. It is stunning. On the committee website, they've only posted his opening remarks and answers to a few questions by Dems. So unless you can find a full transcript somewhere, you'd have to watch the video of his testimony.

#9358 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-February-17, 00:10

As is oft the case, Lawfare has some good analysis

https://lawfareblog....ller-indictment

Key quotes

here is the [Trump] Justice Department on the record declaring that the Russia investigation isn’t, in fact, a witch hunt. It isn’t a hoax. It isn’t just a “phony Democrat excuse for losing the election,” as the president has tweeted. There really was, the Justice Department is saying, a Russian influence operation to interfere in the U.S. political system during the 2016 presidential election, and it really was at the expense of Hillary Clinton and in favor of Donald Trump.

Here the special counsel is stating not merely that he has “high confidence” that the interference happened. He is stating that he can prove the existence of the Russian operation in court beyond a reasonable doubt, using only admissible evidence, and that the operation violated U.S. federal criminal law.

Alderaan delenda est

#9359 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-February-17, 01:10

• The Trump campaign ...
  • The Russians ...
  • You name it

It would probably be simpler than that. How about if the Russians had hacked the Clinton e-mail server and had irrefutable evidence implicating Clinton in a pay to play bribery scheme involving the Clinton Foundation. That certainly would shake the foundations of our democracy by fomenting a constitutional crisis.

The important thing to understand is that the Russkis will have contingency plans for all eventualities and will try to infiltrate themselves into all sides. Note that the indictment alleges how the Russians organized both pro-Trump and anti-Trump protests to promote civil unrest.

#9360 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2018-February-17, 03:20

Here's a good article with some facts on Russian interference in the election.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

• 1077 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

46 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 45 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. PassedOut,
  2. Google,
  3. Facebook