BBO Discussion Forums: Great Way to Practice - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Great Way to Practice

#1 User is offline   hallway 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Founder/Manager - Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO

Posted 2003-August-20, 21:25

Somewhere in this Forum Steve offered us (Beginner/Intermediates) a very good, succinct piece of advice when he simply said 'practice, practice,practice'.

With [glow=red,2,300]Bridgemaster 2000[/glow] and all the other Tools (John listed in his Help for Newcomers post) that one can access through BBO our bridge skills must improve BUT to make the most of them by combining them into a coherent whole we have to PRACTICE.

Just playing with friends is fine but there can be a lack of focus. Playing in the Imps tournaments does one no harm but then there is that feeling of being a 'lamb to the slaughter' .

If you haven't already you MUST try the [glow=red,2,300]Total Points Club[/glow] to be found in the Public Club Room (MainBridge Club/Public Club/Total Points Club) Read the Club News.

The beauty of playing there is
(a) it is a competition - so no chat, get focused

(B) you are playing against players of many skill levels so you really need to spread the focus - bidding/declarer play/defence

© you can monitor your progress - you know immediately where you are at - you have to think about the consequences of your bidding - is this an offensive hand or a defensive hand ? (I'd read the words, here one has to try to convert them into action :) )

(d) Lady Luck can ride with you and you can get the cards that will carry you through - so the playing field is levelled somewhat and there is at least an expectation that one might progress to further rounds. 8)

(e) It is seriously good FUN :D Wayne used to say to me 'are you enjoying your bridge?' ... 'wellllll' .... and he'd say, 'bridge should be fun' and I'd stare at the screen thinking, 'Fun ?? rattling my aged brain at 7am is fun?' 'doing battle on a Monday with those vicious persons at the Club is fun ??' Well, I can now say (12 months later) that with BBO and all the tools and help that are provided here that 'Oh, my word YES Bridge is seriously good FUN'. And yesterday playing in a Total Points Club Tournament Nuala and I had a great time and I like to think it did our Bridge a power of good too.

So if , like us, you need to Practice that is a great place to do it.
Do a bit of homework first though - read the user notes so you will know what to do /where to go - Nu kept getting lost which did my stress levels no good at all ::) I'd be saying 'where are you ' and she'd be saying 'I can't find you' :- -it was a worry !

Whatever else, before you leave the Club take time out to say a heartfelt Thank You to the TD / AD 's that run the tournaments - something like 5 times a day 7 days a week - voluntarily !! - a huge effort which we (Beginners & Intermediates) can benefit so much from.

In fact whenever any of us are on BBO we should not forget for a single second the enormity of what Fred has provided for us - gives to us here. All of that together with the dedication of his Team, the unstinting effort by the 'Yellows', the Teachers, the BBF Moderators and their friends, the TD's / AD's of all the Tournaments is what makes BBO the safest, most congenial, most beneficial site on the planet for us all to enjoy and improve our BRIDGE.

So, see you in the Total Points Club sometime.

P.S. Any Kiwis reading this - you are needed for the Team of The Terrible Tuataras to play Team Matches - we are down to compete in a Teams Handicap (that means they give us a head start :) ) Tournament - good practice!
Click on my User Name (left hand column this post) and leave me an IM.
Maureen
Founder/Manager
Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO
Join on BIL Bridge

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users