• You cannot reply to this topic

preempt or not preempt....

#21 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-28, 06:50

No style points for me as I prefer to simply bash away with a simple

4c

There is no point in pretending we want to keep hearts or 3n open as possible contracts. We have 1 defensive trick and the huge size of our club suit may well downgrade any club honors p has for defense. The best way to describe hands such as this are preempts. This hand has just enough extra to make 4c a worthwhile effort. At these colors p should expect me to deliver 8 tricks so they will need to find 3 in their hand to raise to game. P will also be forewarned about our lack of defense should the opps bid. Lots of pluses not many negatives. We could be too high in 4c with the opps having only a partial but that rates to happen a small % of the time. A modest case can be made for 5c since it ups the ante on preemption and has the potential for a vul game bonus if p has the right seeing eye cards and there is no rational way to search for those cards. The downside is not only the extra 300 when things go badly but the greatly increased probability of being x than the 4c opening adding a ton more negative.

Opening 1c is going to be a nightmare almost no matter how the bidding proceeds. Lack of defense and unwillingness to play anything but clubs are a huge detriment to the go slow approach. It sounds safe in theory but the practical application in competitive auctions makes 1c a semi reckless choice without the benefits of game bonus a 5c opener will have (though the 1c opener has less risk balancing those two extremes out).

4c = 8 3c = 6 5c = 4 1c = 4

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users