• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Book Reviews

#361 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Rowing. Wargaming. Military history.

Posted 2007-August-23, 08:05

The Only Chance by Eric Jannersten

There are 83 bad contracts (usually due to some bad split like 4-1 or 5-0) and you have to visualize what layout you need to make the contract. The layout is realistic, not requiring a 6-0 split or 5-1 with a stiff King.
You have to make some assumptions, like the hand with the master trump not being able to ruff in before the 3rd round of clubs allowing you to discard a loser.
A nice assortment of problems.

There are a few squeezes, but most problems just require planning , counting, and visualization. An excellent book for all you over bidders at the Intermediate plus or higher level.

Eric Jannersten was a Swedish expert who wrote a number of excellent books, though they are probably not well known.

Winning Pairs Technique
Card reading; the art of guessing right at the bridge table
Find the Mistake
Play safe -- and win
The Best of Bridge

I haven't read his book on Precision.

He has another book "With Open Cards" that has 100+ Double Dummy problems. They are tough! They are mostly small and grand slams involving some weirdo squeeze. Its definitely for Advanced players.

#362 User is offline   pokerbids 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2007-August-23, 08:55

/Five Weeks to winning Bridge - Alfred Sheinwold

I read this all those years ago and heaven knows if it is still available. But it was so good I havent forgotten its simple lessons in years. Book is for the beginner and is divided into 35 days and starts by day 1 telling you how to deal. Day 35 is advanced squeeze techniques. Simple and effective for the person who wants to learn but even average players would benefit from the lessons after day 25 or so. Style of writing was very good.

#363 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-09, 09:21

The Backwash Squeeze & Other Improbable Feats, Edward McPherson, 2007,23.95$, 340pp.
Level=General Interest
Grade=B.

A newcomer's journey into the World of Bridge. There are no deals, bidding or play quizzes only the narrative of Mr. Mcpherson's visit to the world of Bridge. He retells all the old and famous stories of bridge, how bridge was invented and his visits to local bridge clubs and a national tourney.

He has long and interesting interviews with Hamman, Zia, Robson along with a few comments from and about the forum's own Justin L. The book is written for people who cannot tell a heart from a diamond but bridge players will enjoy rehearing the old war stories and seeing how bridge is viewed from a newcomers' eyes.

#364 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2007-October-19, 06:29

Virtual European Championship, Part I / II by Krzysztof Martens

Both volumes contain 170 declarer play problems, Bridge Master style. Most of them are Level 3 and better and I think this book is useful for anyone between Advanced and World Class. The presentation is simple but effective, I think.

One of the best books to learn advanced declarer play in my opinion, simply by playing the tough hands.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#365 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-19, 08:09

>Virtual European Championship, Part I / II by Krzysztof Martens

I found this link to buy it:
http://www.martensuniversity.com/pl/111/5/...hip_part_2.html

(part 1 is on the next page) 20 Euros for the book, 13 for a PDF

-------------------------------------------------------
Recently Read Books

Things Your Bridge Teacher Won't Tell You - Romm, Dan
The first third of the book was good. Focusing more on table presence. Teh other 2/3 was not of any interest as it covered his opinion of conventions and/or modifications to them. Overall C+

Bridge Master vs Bridge Amateur - Horton, Mark
Some good hands that are misplayed. The author shows the "common" way of playing a hand, and then the safe and correct way an expert would play it.
I found it hard to use the book because all 4 hands are exposed so you have to cover 2 hands so as not to ruin the problem in acs eyou try and solve it before just reading the solution. I felt the bidding section was too simple. This book is more geared towards low intermediates, though they wont solve some of the hands.
The hands are a raqndom assortment, not focused on any family of problems.
Overall its fair, C+.

Hand Reading in Bridge: How to Improve Your Card Play- Roth, Danny
A book for advanced players as this involves technique, counting, and visualization. Some good hands, and also some hands where the carding doesn't follow the methods used on other hands (i.e. not signaling, or some implied suit preference). On a couple of hands I felt the bididng was not what I'd expect fopr the actual hand and it made it impossible to solve the problem.
I give it a B for advanced players.

False cards - Mike Lawrence
Solid coverage. I like that he gives a frequency of how often certain families of false cards come up, rather than justs lists lots of false card situations.
Good intermediate level book. A-

Step by Step Deceptive Defender Play Rigal, Barry
Step by Step Deceptive Declarer Play Rigal, Barry
2 decent Books, for intermedaite level players. Covers lots of examples. Takes a while to go through all thje defense examples and think about them.
Both are good. Solid B.

Off-Road Declarer Play - unusual Ways to Play a Bridge Hand Bird, David
Excellent. Good selection of various techniques. Nothging crazy.
I rate it an A for Intermediates and Advanced

Great Hands I wish I had played Brock, Sally Raymond Brock
Like Reese - Over the shoulder - quite good - good thought and visualization thought. Some hands might not have been analyszed perfectly. Challenging.
I rate it a B.

Two-Minute Bridge Tips Stewart, Frank
Solid collection of declarer play problems, with some bididng problems on the side
Solid B.

My Bridge And Yours Stewart, Frank
Like "Play these hands with me" involving advanced card reading. Some of the bidding is very conservative
A-

#366 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-29, 11:33

Masterpieces of Defense by Julian Pottage

Good book for advanced Intermediates and above. Goes beyond teh single count the winners/losers,HCP, and shape. Visualization is emphasized. How will the play go if I duck? What does pard need to set this? The last chapter is on defense against squuezes and endplays and was quite good.

Many of the problems I missed I thought I should have found the solution for.
Definitely worth reading.

I think I liked it better than Pottages other books (Defefend these hands with me, and Masterpieces of Declarer play) though they are also good.

#367 User is offline   CarlRitner 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-October-30, 18:32

Thanks to all, but especially to ArcLight, for these great reviews.

Carl

ACBL Library Bridge Books
Cheers,
Carl

#368 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-October-31, 09:09

The Jack of Hearts, Don Von Elsner, 188pp., 1968.
Grade=B
Level=All

Reread this after several decades. A fast, fun pulp fiction read. Bridge Bum, ladies man and yes a secret agent, will Jack Winkman, save the world, get the girl and even more importantly win at bridge? Bridge hands feature real life bridge players from the sixties.

#369 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-November-01, 08:48

Play Safe and Win - Eric Jannersten

I reread this after first reading it ~2 years ago.
The focus is on card play technique and asking yourself "What can go wrong".

Very few squeezes, most hands are just solid intermediate level hands that are frequently butchered. Elimination plays, timing, communications. Maybe a trump coup.

1. what is my objective? I need 10 tricks and have 11, should I give up an over trick to cater for a bad split somewhere?

2. what can go wrong. The contract is cold if trumps are 3-2 and unmakable if 5-0, how can I handle a 4-1 split?

3. there are 2 lines of play, which is better.

Good solid coverage. I think its very worthwhile for all Intermediates and lower. I think (low) advanced players will benefit from these hands.

Eric Jannersten has a number of good books. Car reading, find teh mistake, the only chance, Winning pairs technique. With Open cards is more on squeezes.

#370 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-November-01, 09:54

Here's most of what I've read since Nashville:

Card-by-Card by Roy Hughes. 90% of the hands in this are great and will test you. Its a little disappointing that some of the hands are set up like "you are playing rubber bridge against..." only to find out that the hand appeared in another publication. Still, you willl appreciate the level of detail of some of the hands, which are reminicent of Spotlight on Card Play by Darvas. (B+)

Swiss Match Challenge by Jeff Rubens. I'd seen most of these hands before since they have all appeared in the Bridge World, so many of the themes weren't new to me. Stil, I love the format and 8 hands in a row is a nice, manageable number to analyze and its enjoyable to score these as if you played a real swiss match. ( B )

Test your Timing by Hugh Kelsey. My copy disappeared many moons ago. If you aren't familiar with the themes, these problems can be pretty tough, but usually after the hand you'll say "why didn't I think of that"? (A)

Matchpoint Defense by Jim Priebe. I thought his "Thinking on Defense" had hands that were concocted. There's no central theme to Matchpoint Defense and the hands are pretty basic. ( C)

Right through the Pack by Robert Darvas, et al.
Absolutely brilliant and I reread it about once a year. My 2nd favorite book behind Adventures in Card Play. (A+)

Logical Bridge Play by Kelsey. Required reading for any serious player. I've read this at least 15 times just to remind myself of the themes. As a result most of the hands are memorized, but I still enjoy it. (A)

Matchpoint Tricks by Axelsen / Dam. Best new book I've read in several years. The themes were new and they were very helpful. Many of the themes are deceptive in nature. You'll have a new arsenal of tools the next time you sit down at the table (A+)

Step-by-Step - Deceptive Play in Bridge by Rigal. A big disappointment to me. Many of the themes were old hat and seemed geared to the intermediate player. If you want some better ideas about deceptive play, try Matchpoint Tricks. ( C)
"Phil" on BBO

#371 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-November-01, 12:23

Thanks for the review Phil, I have read almost all of these except the Darvas and Axelsem books which I just ordered based on your recommendation.

#372 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-November-09, 11:10

Master Play in COntract Bride by Terence Reese

Great Intermediate plus level book on card play technique. A good set of hands (unfortunately double dummy) on a variety of topics suh as: trump control, timing, communications, deception, finessing, loser on loser. Nothing simple else it wouldn't be in this book. Some of the hands were blown in high level competition.

Nothing you haven't seen before, just a good set of hands. If you are interested in card play technique you will enjoy this, plus you can probably find an inexpensive copy since its 47 years old (and still good)

================================================
I pretty much agree with Phil Claytons assesment of the books he listed.

I greatly enjoyed all the Kelsey "Test Your XXXX" (I finally own them all!) :)

The Darvas book is very clever and well written in addition to having great hands.

I've Owned Card by Card, just haven't gotten to it yet, probably early next year.

#373 User is offline   CarlRitner 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-November-12, 20:21

Master Play was also released under the title The Expert Game.

This book was featured in the summer book survey in the ACBL Bulletin and as such, there is quite a demand for this title(s). It has not been reprinted for some time.

Carl

ACBL Library Used Books
Cheers,
Carl

#374 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-November-19, 13:46

Bridge Master versus Bridge Amateur. Mark Horton. 2007. 183pp. $18.95
Grade=B-
Level=Intermediate

A collection of deals where the Amateur plays or bids the hand and then the Expert plays or bids the same hand. The reasoning is given for the option chosen by both.
A fast, enjoyable read.

#375 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2007-December-02, 15:20

A good friend of mine, Ken Eichenbaum, has just reissued an updated version of a book that he wrote years ago called "Bridge Without a Partner."

His book is hysterical, covering a large number of deals that you will be hard-pressed to believe were real, but they did happen in real play. The deals are analyzed by an extremely gifted semi-pro who actually played most, if not all, of these hands while employed to do so.

The original version created some stir years ago, because it was viewed as disrespectful to the "imaginary" client. The newer version tones down some of the perceived mockery. IMO, the original version was perfectly fine; it just may have threatened some folks who did not want their clients, or perhaps I should use the new term "students," thinking that their foibles might make it to print. Some may still object because of that perception. I look at the deals as amazing analysis of how wildly divergent our views may be on a single deal and how to cope with impossible scenarios. Games that seem hopeless can be made. Alternative actions in the bidding may solve unexpected future problems. Besides, some of the most interesting play and defense problems could never come up unless partner added some "unique" theory to the auction or to their side of the defense.

For those with a sense of humor, an A.

Ken Eichenbaum is self-publishing this book and has authorized me to post his address. I'm not sure if I can post his contact info per the rules here, but in case it is OK:

Ken Eichenbaum
280 Powell Road
Powell, Ohio 43265

If that did not work, send me an email.

He is charging $17.50 if domestic (postage and handling and tax already included). If international (outside of the U.S.), make that $25.00 U.S. and he will again cover all of the shipping and handling and tax.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#376 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-02, 20:24

Frank Stewarts Bridge Club
The book is good, with 120 good problems, and 90 SAYC bidding problems.
I'm not sure I agree with the anlysis of every problem but its still a solid book. Decent problems on card placing and technique.
B+ for Intermediates and Beginners. Probably too simple for Advanced players.

Frabk Stewart has a number of EXCELLENT books. I consider him one of the great "unknown" bridge authors. A lot of his books are available used for around $5-7. Buy them rather than the Horton book.

#377 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-December-03, 14:34

Matchpoint Tricks. Axelsen & Dam. $9.95. 91pp. 2004
Level=Intermediate
Grade=A+

A real gem of a tiny book. I loved this book and recommend it highly to all intermediate level players.

58 problems and every one of them are simple, wonderful ways to improve your MP score.

Buy this book.

#378 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-04, 15:40

>Matchpoint Tricks. Axelsen & Dam

I second the recomendation.

The book has many problems on deception, either how to steal an extra trick, or make a bad contract. I don't think it's especially focused on MP problems like Kelseys excellent Test Your Pairs Play

I liked this book more the second time I read it.

#379 User is offline   nick_s 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-06, 19:06

Cards on the Table. Eric Jannersten. 1.85 (British pounds). 206pp. 1971
Level=Intermediate/Advanced
Grade=A

I've seen write-ups of a few other Jannersten books here, but not this one. Possibly it was published under a different name in the US. Apparently it was originally published under the name 'Kortlasning' (card reading) in Sweden. It's subtitled: 'The Art of Guessing Right'.

This book, more than any other, took my declarer play from intermediate to advanced.

You get presented with each deal as declarer, together with the play to the first trick or two. Now you have to make a plan. A few tricks later you get to the point where you can figure out what the opponent have (or must have), and from there you can work out any end-plays.

I find it relatively easy to spot a squeeze or a throw-in etc if I know that's what I'm supposed to be looking for. With the problems in this book you usually can't do that. It taught me how to think about the right things at the right time. Of course, YMMV.

I haven't posted here before, so a little background in case my remarks seem a little odd: I used to play a lot in the UK (Acol, Precision). Then I moved to the US. Then I didn't play at all for 25 years. I'm starting up again and trying to get caught up on all the bidding changes.

It seems clear that I need to learn 2/1, so any recommendations would be much appreciated. I've also been reading up on the LOTT - that seems to be de rigeur whether you agree with it or not.
Not an expert, just a student of the game

#380 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-06, 19:25

nick_s, on Dec 6 2007, 05:06 PM, said:

Cards on the Table. Eric Jannersten. 1.85 (British pounds). 206pp. 1971
Level=Intermediate/Advanced
Grade=A

I've seen write-ups of a few other Jannersten books here, but not this one. Possibly it was published under a different name in the US. Apparently it was originally published under the name 'Kortlasning' (card reading) in Sweden. It's subtitled: 'The Art of Guessing Right'.

This book, more than any other, took my declarer play from intermediate to advanced.

You get presented with each deal as declarer, together with the play to the first trick or two. Now you have to make a plan. A few tricks later you get to the point where you can figure out what the opponent have (or must have), and from there you can work out any end-plays.

I find it relatively easy to spot a squeeze or a throw-in etc if I know that's what I'm supposed to be looking for. With the problems in this book you usually can't do that. It taught me how to think about the right things at the right time. Of course, YMMV.

I haven't posted here before, so a little background in case my remarks seem a little odd: I used to play a lot in the UK (Acol, Precision). Then I moved to the US. Then I didn't play at all for 25 years. I'm starting up again and trying to get caught up on all the bidding changes.

It seems clear that I need to learn 2/1, so any recommendations would be much appreciated. I've also been reading up on the LOTT - that seems to be de rigeur whether you agree with it or not.

I have a couple of Jannersten books in Swedish.

One is translated as "With open cards" and is a book of double dummy problems. I heard that he acquired some of his problems from elsewhere, but I love in particular the one titled "Elks Misery" on which I spent several hours on the various different end positions possible.

Another one is translated as "Wrong play, Fine play" which carries you through a set of deals, first how they were wrongly played and then how they should have been played.

Both were very nice books from which to learn.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users