• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play 6NT

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-August-15, 05:48

IMPs. Lead: H6 (3rd or 4th to an honour, or 2nd from rubbish)

Hint:
Spoiler

ahydra

#2 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2018-August-15, 08:03

I'm a simple soul. I win and play a club to the 10. If Rho holds the Jack, I'm home

If not, I need some luck. I hope the lead was top of nothing, since I need Rho to hold the heart length, but I expect to run a double squeeze with spades as the suit they both need to guard. Say they return a heart. Win in dummy perforce, cross in clubs and cash the heart Q. Then run the diamonds and hope the cards like well for us. I do have the extra minor hope of the club king being doubleton. If the lead was from xxx I like my chances.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-16, 20:23

View Postmikeh, on 2018-August-15, 08:03, said:

I'm a simple soul. I win and play a club to the 10. If Rho holds the Jack, I'm home

If not, I need some luck. I hope the lead was top of nothing, since I need Rho to hold the heart length, but I expect to run a double squeeze with spades as the suit they both need to guard. Say they return a heart. Win in dummy perforce, cross in clubs and cash the heart Q. Then run the diamonds and hope the cards like well for us. I do have the extra minor hope of the club king being doubleton. If the lead was from xxx I like my chances.

The neat part about crossing to hand with the club A is it also creates a Vienna coupe against west if they have the club K and the only spade guard:) and it costs nothing as we play for the other squeeze first and nothing good happens we still can nail lho. We just have to discard the club Q at trick 10.

#4 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2018-August-16, 22:27

View Postgszes, on 2018-August-16, 20:23, said:

The neat part about crossing to hand with the club A is it also creates a Vienna coupe against west if they have the club K and the only spade guard:) and it costs nothing as we play for the other squeeze first and nothing good happens we still can nail lho. We just have to discard the club Q at trick 10.

While I didn't state that I was cashing the club Ace, it is implicit in playing for a double squeeze, not to mention Kx in clubs. Sorry if that wasn't obvious
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-16, 22:58

Nice one, Mike.

I was about to say that I will start with 10 towards the queen, but now I see that if W has K he may be squeezed anyway so it is much better to play a small to the 10. There's also the small chance that E has K doubleton.

OTOH if East can be trusted to double Gerber with KJxx in clubs, it is probably still better to play the ten to the queen.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-18, 02:49

Btw I wonder if it would be better to play the diamonds first before taking the club finesse. In the seven card ending, if E has K, 4+ hearts and on spade honour, the best he can do is to keep H 9xx Kxx to give us a guess in spades, but he may chose to discard a heart or a club instead, making it easy for us.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-18, 08:07

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-August-18, 02:49, said:

Btw I wonder if it would be better to play the diamonds first before taking the club finesse. In the seven card ending, if E has K, 4+ hearts and on spade honour, the best he can do is to keep H 9xx Kxx to give us a guess in spades, but he may chose to discard a heart or a club instead, making it easy for us.

Not against competent defense.
What do you discard from dummy on the diamonds?
Presumably a club and a spade.
Then you want to go to the second heart and play a club to the ten.
East wins with the jack and returns a heart.
What do you want to discard on the third heart from dummy?

Rainer Herrmann

#8 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2018-August-22, 18:15

For as said in post #1 let me think that for a double squeeze the unilaterals it being devided makes that W has club control and E heart control but for it works needs to rettify the count in club suit. Now if W returns club for A you can get at 11th tricks leading winner in heart and spade for the three card ending as usually
otherwise if W not is returning in club suit you can play a reciprocal squeeze rescouting all diamonds and where at the ending the club A and Q heart squeeze "reciprocally" each opp at the time.

#9 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-25, 19:48

Lovera, you will have to explain to us what "rescouting" means. It seems to come up a lot in your posts. Do you mean "cashing"?

Anyway, the full hand (sorry for the delay):

So the double squeeze line is what you need, and if you start with the normal-looking club to the 10, there's an element of a guard squeeze in there as well (East holds onto his CK, but that exposes partner's spades so that declarer can finesse the S8). A more fancy, but rather double-dummy-only, line is to transfer the menace by running CQ, covered and ducked, which leads to a classical double squeeze.

I should put my partner in slams more often. She got a club lead to the K and A and, for the first time I've ever seen, counted her tricks! After she counted to 12 she said to herself "OK, don't mess this up", and thankfully didn't :)

ahydra

#10 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2018-August-26, 02:18

View Postahydra, on 2018-August-25, 19:48, said:

Lovera, you will have to explain to us what "rescouting" means. It seems to come up a lot in your posts. Do you mean "cashing"?

Anyway, the full hand (sorry for the delay):

So the double squeeze line is what you need, and if you start with the normal-looking club to the 10, there's an element of a guard squeeze in there as well (East holds onto his CK, but that exposes partner's spades so that declarer can finesse the S8). A more fancy, but rather double-dummy-only, line is to transfer the menace by running CQ, covered and ducked, which leads to a classical double squeeze.

I should put my partner in slams more often. She got a club lead to the K and A and, for the first time I've ever seen, counted her tricks! After she counted to 12 she said to herself "OK, don't mess this up", and thankfully didn't :)

ahydra

Yes, it's like "drawing" but cashing is more right. The "reciprocal sq." works cashing all diamonds before because you have to retain spade A to get back in S for the Q after the Q ...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users