BBO Discussion Forums: Playing the same boards in daylongs - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Playing the same boards in daylongs

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-August-10, 10:48

It seems a shame that, although my score gets compared with all my BBO friends in a daylong, the result ends up being pretty meaningless since they've usually played completely different boards. Presumably this is to reduce the risk of cheating, but personally (at least for the free ones) I would gladly trade a couple of % against the cheats for the ability to properly compare the decisions I made with players I respect.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-August-11, 09:29

View PostJinksy, on 2018-August-10, 10:48, said:

It seems a shame that, although my score gets compared with all my BBO friends in a daylong, the result ends up being pretty meaningless since they've usually played completely different boards. Presumably this is to reduce the risk of cheating, but personally (at least for the free ones) I would gladly trade a couple of % against the cheats for the ability to properly compare the decisions I made with players I respect.

Noble sentiment, in theory I agree. It's not a couple of points, you could need 95% to win now.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-11, 14:25

I think this really comes back to an idea floated in the past of being able to create your own multi-player challenges. Which would be excellent.

#4 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-12, 14:37

Or you could reverse the emphasis, and have a daylong which anyone can play, but where your percentage is only calculated against people on your friends list, or perhaps against other stipulations you could specify (max degrees of separation, perhaps, though not sure how processor hungry that would end up being). They would see their percentage differently than you did, but would that really matter?

#5 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-15, 09:01

('cause that would make it more likely you could actually get enough other people playing to have an interesting comparison)

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-August-15, 09:19

Perhaps you have more friends than me, but when I get the results of daylongs there are rarely more than about a half dozen friends listed. So the matchpointing would be pretty coarse with so few comparisons.

BTW, in the NABC Online Individual we go the opposite way: to prevent collusion, we make sure that you don't play the same boards as your friends, or anyone you've partnered with in ACBL f2f and live tournaments in the past few years. We don't go to such extremes in the regular daylongs yet, though.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users