BBO Discussion Forums: Gazilli problem - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gazilli problem

#1 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-August-09, 19:18

.Your partner is the dealer and are Red VS White.He opens 1S and you bid 1NT holding 10-QJ9864-KQ87-73 as you play .Partner bids 2C (Gazilli).My question is do I bid the forced 2D ? If so,what is my bid when partner bids 2S showing 11/15 with 4 card club suit? Is a bid of 2H ACCEPTABLE instead of 2D? Partner had AQ754 -5-AJ4-10954. Is his 2C bid wrong ? If so, what's his correct bid ?

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-August-10, 08:55

Gazilli is a great convention as long as you modify it to suit your system. If you are not playing Fantunes, knowing partner is limited, you should have an 'opt-out' clause of declining the relay and bidding 2 instead of 2. In Fantunes, as I understand, 2 shows a 0-5 count. With 6-4 in the reds it is awkward to show the shape using Gazilli. Perhaps having 2 showing a six timer in the suit with 6-9 points would work better.

#3 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-11, 03:50

If you are not playing a natural NF 2 rebid over a Gazzilli that can be weak, then it is awkward. Over 2, a strong 17+ hand will bid again, so I would not restrict it to a 9 count, just any hand that does not want to play in clubs or spades if opener is not strong.

An alternative is to use Gazzilli as strong only, and give up showing opener clubs - except a 5 club hand bids 1 then 3 NF. This 3 denies the strength needed to bid 1 then 2 then 3. With this opener hand, he bids 1 then 2 - which does not show genuine diamonds. You may not be prepared to lose opener 4 card minors, but if you currently play that opener's actual sequence shows 4 clubs, you probably do play that a 5323 hand rebids 2 anyway. Some people play 2 = 16+. If you were playing this it would certainly go 1 1NT, 2 2.

#4 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-11, 08:54

The above assumes you are playing 1NT forcing. If 1NT is not forcing, I would not dream of bidding 2 on partner's hand, but would pass 1NT.

#5 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2018-August-12, 09:40

A 2 rebid is natural and weak. Some might judge your hand to strong for that, but I think it's unlikely you miss game if partner passes even with a strong hand.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users