Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid these and play it (1)

#1 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-22, 15:17

This was the auction we had (4 card majors Acol style non forcing NT), I had a decision to make as to whether to bid 6. The knowledge I had was that partner had Axx without the Q, and <4 spades, and probably 4 other points, maybe 5. I decided to bid 6 as Qxxxx, or QJxx in either minor will see me home even if there's a trump loser, Qxxx gives me a chance and trumps breaking and a 3-3 break will always do if nothing else works on any hand partner may hold.

How do you play this on a spade to the J-A (all follow to the first round of each suit without anythng that interesting happening).

#2 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-22, 22:37

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-22, 15:17, said:

This was the auction we had (4 card majors Acol style non forcing NT), I had a decision to make as to whether to bid 6. The knowledge I had was that partner had Axx without the Q, and <4 spades, and probably 4 other points, maybe 5. I decided to bid 6 as Qxxxx, or QJxx in either minor will see me home even if there's a trump loser, Qxxx gives me a chance and trumps breaking and a 3-3 break will always do if nothing else works on any hand partner may hold.

How do you play this on a spade to the J-A (all follow to the first round of each suit without anythng that interesting happening).

There is no squeeze since there is no entry outside the heart A, so the question is, do you have a heart loser? Win the spade, play the heart K then the diamond A. Assuming the diamonds aren't 6/0 and you get ruffed, I then play the 6 of hearts to the A (you need to save the 2). If both follow, play a diamond to the K, then the diamond ten. Use the 5 of hearts as an entry to the J. If someone shows out on the second round of hearts, you take the diamond finesse. If you are really worried about the 6/0 diamond break, that step is probably not necessary.

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-23, 02:25

View PostHardVector, on 2018-July-22, 22:37, said:

There is no squeeze since there is no entry outside the heart A, so the question is, do you have a heart loser? Win the spade, play the heart K then the diamond A. Assuming the diamonds aren't 6/0 and you get ruffed, I then play the 6 of hearts to the A (you need to save the 2). If both follow, play a diamond to the K, then the diamond ten. Use the 5 of hearts as an entry to the J. If someone shows out on the second round of hearts, you take the diamond finesse. If you are really worried about the 6/0 diamond break, that step is probably not necessary.

This is effectively the line I played, but I'm wondering if I should have cashed a second diamond as Qx is more likely than x.

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-25, 07:57

If trumps break 22 we make 6. The only reason to consider an LOP, other than taking 2 rounds of trumps immediately, is if there might be a generally safe effective way of making our contract when trumps fail to break 22. Laying down the dia A(K) does indeed give us an extra chance when trumps break 31 and it is not because we can take a 2nd round dia finesse but because we gain an important tempo when the Q drops singleton or doubleton and it matters not if trumps are 22 or 31. Note that if we play the top 2 trumps and discover the 31 break the ability to drop the Q or Qx becomes irrelevant since all the player with the 3 trumps has to do is NOT ruff and when the dia T holds declarer must play something from hand and eventually lose 1 trump and (almost assuredly) a club. However, if we drop the Dia Q with the A or K we can safely continue diamonds and if an opp that started with 2 OR 3 trumps ruffs we still have another dummy entry to play the 4th dia and pitch our club loser. Is it safe enough to try for the Q or Qx at the risk of having someone ruff (and not having the Q drop)? We start with a 43% chance (22 trump split) and pick up from the other 57% whenever the dia Q drops singleton or doubleton and lose nothing from the 22 splits. The only risk is diamonds breaking 51 or 60 and the Q not dropping. Seems like a decent risk vs reward to me.

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-July-25, 11:00

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-23, 02:25, said:

This is effectively the line I played, but I'm wondering if I should have cashed a second diamond as Qx is more likely than x.

This only helps if the trumps are 3-1 with the long hearts and long diamonds in the same hand - but even then it doesn't matter because when the queen is doubleton you still have to guess whether to cash the diamond 10 or play for 2-2 hearts. Entries preclude doing both.

If dummy held J9xx of diamonds a lot would change.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-25, 11:27

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-July-25, 11:00, said:

This only helps if the trumps are 3-1 with the long hearts and long diamonds in the same hand - but even then it doesn't matter because when the queen is doubleton you still have to guess whether to cash the diamond 10 or play for 2-2 hearts. Entries preclude doing both.

If dummy held J9xx of diamonds a lot would change.

Not true at all, I don't know what you're seeing, if the Q drops 6 is a claim. If it doesn't you're no worse off, you just need trumps 2-2 the only problem is if the K gets ruffed.

Edit: just to clarify, we're talking A, K, A, K

#7 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-July-25, 14:09

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-25, 11:27, said:

Not true at all, I don't know what you're seeing, if the Q drops 6 is a claim. If it doesn't you're no worse off, you just need trumps 2-2 the only problem is if the K gets ruffed.

Edit: just to clarify, we're talking A, K, A, K

OK, I see what you are after. Heart king, AK of diamonds, queen drops. Now, 10 of diamonds and it doesn't matter if it is ruffed or not.

Blind spot...or old age. :(
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users