should lead or not lead or whatever. Does this
rule still exist.

Jerryd

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-18, 16:57

If the intention is to remind declarer that the lead is on the table (for example, if dummy saw that declarer was pulling a card from his hand) then this is legal: L42B2. To indicate a particular suit is most definitely not legal. So dummy should best tap behind all the cards so it's clear no one suit in particular is indicated, or simply say "lead's on the table".

Interestingly, Law 42B2 has now been changed to remove the qualifier "by declarer" - so does that mean dummy can warn a defender if he's about to lead out of turn? (Though obviously it's not necessarily in his side's interest to do so.)

ahydra

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-18, 22:07

I think that dummy’s reaching over the faced cards and to the centre of the table is a highly unusual action. Perhaps his intention was to remind declarer of the vulnerability.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   jerdonald 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-18, 22:51

Vampyr,

Dummy was just tapping behind the cards but in line with one of the suits.
I don't think, in this case, he was trying to indicate anything to the
declarer but if this isn't illegal unscrupulous players could and would use
this to their advantage. Perhaps dummy knows there is a boss card on the
board and doesn't know if declarer remembers it.

Jerryd

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-19, 00:10

View PostVampyr, on 2018-July-18, 22:07, said:

I think that dummy’s reaching over the faced cards and to the centre of the table is a highly unusual action. Perhaps his intention was to remind declarer of the vulnerability.

I think you are understanding the word "board" in a different way to that intended in the original post.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-19, 00:12

View Postahydra, on 2018-July-18, 16:57, said:

If the intention is to remind declarer that the lead is on the table (for example, if dummy saw that declarer was pulling a card from his hand) then this is legal: L42B2.

I think it needs to be said that it is not generally considered to be legal unless declarer was about to lead from the wrong hand, which I don't see in the original post.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-19, 05:45

I would have thought that tapping is overkill if the intention is to illegally suggest a play: simply hovering the hand over the chosen suit is usually considered sufficient, although some add a meaningful glance at declarer to be certain :angry:

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-19, 22:46

View Postpescetom, on 2018-July-19, 05:45, said:

I would have thought that tapping is overkill if the intention is to illegally suggest a play: simply hovering the hand over the chosen suit is usually considered sufficient, although some add a meaningful glance at declarer to be certain :angry:

Or pointing at their heart, ring finger (diamond), or miming golfing/digging :).

I once had a partner who would suggest plays by putting her hand near the card she guessed I would/should call for. It was surprisingly offputting and thankfully that partnership ended after a short while. She only did this in club games, not in a tournament setting because no doubt the opps might have had something to say.

ahydra

#9 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-20, 07:39

View Postahydra, on 2018-July-18, 16:57, said:

If the intention is to remind declarer that the lead is on the table (for example, if dummy saw that declarer was pulling a card from his hand) then this is legal: L42B2.

Yes, but only up to a point I think. If declarer appears to be about to play from the wrong hand then it is perfectly proper for dummy to prevent this.

But if dummy is indicating at every play then it seems excessive, probably rather annoying to the other players and probably not intended by this law.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-July-20, 08:04

There's nothing specific in the Laws about tapping on the table. If you think he's indicating a specific card, it would be a violation of 43A1c:

Dummy must not participate in the play, nor may he communicate anything about the play to declarer.

It could also just be annoying, which violates 74A2:

A player should carefully avoid any remark or extraneous action that might cause annoyance or embarrassment to another player or might interfere with the enjoyment of the game.

You could also resort to this law to deal with people who snap their cards when playing them.

#11 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-20, 10:39

View PostTramticket, on 2018-July-20, 07:39, said:

Yes, but only up to a point I think. If declarer appears to be about to play from the wrong hand then it is perfectly proper for dummy to prevent this.

I think that there is some hyperbole here. My characterization would be that it is somewhat reasonable to tap the table (once) to attempt get declarer to stop POOT. Somewhat, because it can be construed as participating in the play, and therefore requires some care to avoid such construing; besides, 'it's not declarer's turn' is probably best.

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-20, 13:08

But it is declarer's turn - to play from dummy!

What's wrong with "You're on the board" or "the lead is in dummy"?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2018-July-20, 15:14

View Postblackshoe, on 2018-July-20, 13:08, said:

But it is declarer's turn - to play from dummy!

What's wrong with "You're on the board" or "the lead is in dummy"?

Nothing, provided declarer is about to lead from the wrong hand (Law 42B2)

Otherwise is is a violation of

Law 43A1{c} said:

Dummy must not participate in the play, nor may he communicate anything about the play to declarer.

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2018-July-20, 19:12

So there is someone who is more pedantic than I am. Good to know. ;)
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-20, 21:45

View Postgordontd, on 2018-July-19, 00:12, said:

I think it needs to be said that it is not generally considered to be legal unless declarer was about to lead from the wrong hand, which I don't see in the original post.

Yes. Perhaps the table was an actual board balanced on sawhorses.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2018-July-21, 02:16

View Postblackshoe, on 2018-July-20, 19:12, said:

So there is someone who is more pedantic than I am. Good to know. ;)

Well then,
where do you draw the line?
(... between Law 42B2 and Law 43A1{c} )

#17 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2018-July-21, 04:36

View Postpran, on 2018-July-21, 02:16, said:

Well then,
where do you draw the line?
(... between Law 42B2 and Law 43A1{c} )

You can't: Law 42 says "Subject to the restrictions in Law 43" and Law 43 says "Except as Law 42 allows". Although EBU doctrine is that dummy must be aware that declarer must be about to commit an irregularity before he can forestall him, this does not appear to be inculcated in the laws - unless it is agreed that stating (before declarer makes any movement) "you are in your hand/ dummy" is participating in the play or communicating anything about the play to declarer AND is not a try to prevent an irregularity. We could get metaphysical here and ask "If dummy is not aware of an intent to commit an irregularity, can he try and prevent it?" (noise in the woods).
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#18 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2018-July-21, 06:51

View Postweejonnie, on 2018-July-21, 04:36, said:

You can't: Law 42 says "Subject to the restrictions in Law 43" and Law 43 says "Except as Law 42 allows". Although EBU doctrine is that dummy must be aware that declarer must be about to commit an irregularity before he can forestall him, this does not appear to be inculcated in the laws - unless it is agreed that stating (before declarer makes any movement) "you are in your hand/ dummy" is participating in the play or communicating anything about the play to declarer AND is not a try to prevent an irregularity. We could get metaphysical here and ask "If dummy is not aware of an intent to commit an irregularity, can he try and prevent it?" (noise in the woods).

Exactly the point.

Now consider a dummy who at each and every trick, before declarer initiates any action to that trick "prevents declarer from committing an irregularity" by announcing (as the case might be):
"It is not your lead"
"It is your lead from your own hand"
"It is your lead from dummy"

and claims that he is only executing his right as Dummy according to Law 42B2.

For the record: My opinion is that Dummy has no such right unless he has a (qualified) reason to believe that Declarer is about to commit an irregularity. (And this right expires at the very moment Declarer in fact has committed that irregularity, for instance once Declarer has called a card from Dummy.)

In practice "we" are lenient with a Dummy who instead of playing the called card responds with "the lead is from your hand", but this is technically calling attention to the irregularity, not attempting to prevent it.

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2018-July-21, 10:23

View Postpran, on 2018-July-21, 06:51, said:

In practice "we" are lenient with a Dummy who instead of playing the called card responds with "the lead is from your hand", but this is technically calling attention to the irregularity, not attempting to prevent it.

We are. Perhaps we shouldn't be.
--------------------

#20 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2018-July-22, 03:06

View Postblackshoe, on 2018-July-21, 10:23, said:

We are. Perhaps we shouldn't be.

We would have to be called by someone at the table - the fact that we should be called is irrelevant: in 99% of the cases the declarer apologises and makes the lead from the right hand and that ends the matter. In 1% of the cases declarer is trying to create an extra entry to dummy (or his hand).
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users