BBO Discussion Forums: strong club Interference at the two level - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

strong club Interference at the two level use of double and its follow ups

#21 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-August-26, 13:39

View Poststraube, on 2018-August-26, 12:57, said:

I’m hung up on 1S interference. It could be the case of “too many bids”.

Like if I want opener to declare NT and search for a 4-4 heart fit then
1C(1S) dbl P 2N P 3C P 3S? Or 3H?

If opener lacks a spade stopper but has 4 hearts and wants to GF then
1C(1S) P 3H?

But there’s 1C (1S) dbl P 2S which would deny a stopper and could search for fits up the line....including hearts

And 1C (1S) dbl P 3S probably is undefined whereas 1C (2S) dbl P 3S would be.....I don’t actually know that either because opener could just force with 3C, 3D, or 3H here (if he had either 5 or if he had 4 with no stopper).

Would you please explain how you continue 1C (1S) dbl?

I actually don't think we have any complicated agreements in this auction. Perhaps something very simple like:

Pass = five-plus good spades
1NT = natural like 17-19
2, 2, 2 = minimum, 4+ suit, not forcing
2 = game force not sure of strain (basically a catch-all for GF hands not suited to higher bids)
2NT = game force with spade stopper, may also have some interest in a suit contract (even may have four hearts)
3, 3, 3 = game force, five-card or longer suit (basically sets trump although 3NT is still possible after a 3m bid)

If opener bids 2, responder's first responsibility is to bid 2NT with a stopper. The 2 bid is usually balanced without a spade stopper, but some two- or three-suiter is also possible.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#22 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-26, 15:48

So similar but opener's 2N rebid is GF with stopper instead of Lebensohl.

I'm thinking of writing up 1S overcalls separately from 2C through 2S overcalls. They seem enough different.

For 1C (1S) I don't know if there's a good use for a 2N response. Thinking...

.....dbl-takeout
.....2C-transfer
.....2D-transfer, only 6-7
.....2H-GF clubs
.....2S-GF hearts
.....2N-GF spades
.....etc-semipositives, natural

Regardless of whether this makes sense, it would be nice after 1C (1S) 2C to establish a heart GF faster. Like 1C (1S) 2C P 3H P 4H is the soonest that hearts can be agreed. Maybe sacrifice 1C (1S) 2C P 2S for GF hearts?

#23 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-29, 13:59

I’m curious how you play Lebensohl against weak two bids. Same structure? I see all sorts of varieties on the internet and I just ordered an old copy of Anderson’s book on the topic.

I like the low memory load of 2N being weak or showing a stopper (the alternatives seem to clarify 4 vs 5cd suits while complicating the stopper situation).

There seems some redundancy for 2N and cue rebid vs 2N and bid a higher ranking suit. For instance, 1C(2H) dbl P 2N P 3C P 3M seems mostly the same thing (4 spades and a stopper).

1C(2S)dbl P (2N) P 3C P 3S seems like it needs to show 4 hearts.

OTOH
1C (2D) dbl P 2N P 3C P 3D seems like it could be used to show clubs as well as a stopper. With major(s) and a stopper just rebid 2N and then rebid majors up the line.

Maybe 2N and cue (if available) should show a lower ranking suit? In the case of heart preempted maybe just a stopper and diamonds? So the rule could be that 2N and a cue shows the suit below the cue bid.

#24 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-30, 23:01

I've been realizing that when opener uses Lebensohl and responder has a GF hand, he can't be sure whether opener has a stopper or a hand that wanted to sign off in a lower ranking suit.

1C* (2C) 2H* P
2N* P ?

Opener may have intended to sign off in a red suit...or to establish a GF and grab NT.

I think that 3D here is GF waiting? But there is no bid to ask for a stopper.

So maybe 3C by responder should be GF and asking for a stopper and 3D should be the p/c bid.

If responder were say to rebid 3H, 3S or 3N those bids should promise stoppers.

Over
1C* (2D) 2H* P
2N P ?

It's a little bit easier. 3C is the p/c bid but 3D by responder should deny a diamond stopper.

I think this probably holds true for takeout doubles as well.

1C* (2C) dbl P
2N

is GF with a stopper. This isn't Lebensohl. What should responder's 3C rebid mean here? Just a minimum?

1C* (2H) dbl P
2N* P

3C here would be p/c. Easy continuations.

3D would be GF and natural. Opener would need then to cue bid 3H without a heart stopper but could suggest spades or 3N with a stopper.

3H would be GF without a stopper. Opener could look for a 4-4 spade fit and would pull 3N if hearts weren't stopped.

Any thoughts here? I think it's difficult.

#25 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-31, 05:48

I don’t generally rank “how do we get to 3nt if takeout doubler has our only stopper” very high on the list of concerns. Yes it is possible he has Ax or Kx and we have nine running tricks, but the nine running tricks are often hard to diagnose and you can often make 4M or 5m on such hands too.

Of course if opener has a min with clubs and a stopper he bids 3nt after 1c-2d-X-p-2nt-p-3d.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users