BBO Discussion Forums: Responses to 2C playing 3 weak 2's - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Responses to 2C playing 3 weak 2's

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2018-July-14, 11:18

I have come across a system of responses but have forgotten where, or what it is called, and would like to look it up again.

It starts ( I think) something like:

2D = waiting, any shape but no good suit (see below)
2H - very weak - no A, K, no two queens

Good 5+ card suits and 2_ quick tricks
2S = spades
2NT = hearts
3C = clubs
3D = diamonds.

#2 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-15, 12:45

Hi,

something like the following
http://www.bridgebum.com/strong_2c.php

The link makes the 2D response also weak, but this is not required,
I would also assume, that 8+ bal. hands bid 2D, to give opener max.
room.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-15, 14:24

View PostLiversidge, on 2018-July-14, 11:18, said:

I have come across a system of responses but have forgotten where, or what it is called, and would like to look it up again.

2S = spades
2NT = hearts
3C = clubs
3D = diamonds.

Nothing terribly wrong with that, and it avoids the awful 2NT = balanced points reply.
Although it is incompatible with Kokish 2H (useful if you open 2NT low), and not many experts think it is worth playing a "Red Flag" to show a very weak hand.

#4 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-16, 08:15

Is it sensible to take a lot of bidding space to show your 5 card suit when opener has a one-suited or two-suited hand? Better to keep the bidding low to let him describe his hand. If he has a balanced hand and rebids NT, then you may wish to show your 5 card suit. There is an argument for immediately transferring to a 6+ card suit, and opener completes the transfer if he accepts, or otherwise bids his suit. I do not know a name of such a method, but responder bidding his suit directly seems to be wrong - you want opener to play the hand, and you want to know what trumps are going to be at a low enough level.

To some extent, it also depends whether your 2 open is game forcing, or if it can be made with a hand a trick short of game. In the first case, there is no need for a 2/2 demarcation, but if the latter, then you can agree that a positive 2 sets a game force, while a negative 2 can let opener's non-jump suit be passed. However, rather than showing initial negative/positive, what many do is show strength AFTER opener's suit has been shown. If you wish, you can still stop short of game.

#5 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-21, 13:09

View PostLiversidge, on 2018-July-14, 11:18, said:

2S = spades
2NT = hearts
3C = clubs
3D = diamonds.

This is a common treatment, I don't know if it has a name. You've got the responses ok, what you need to discuss is what continuations mean. For instance, if responder bids anything but 2h, you are in a game forcing auction, including getting to 5 of a minor. If responder bids 2h, then 2n or 3n by opener should be the only bids that can be passed, all suit bids are forcing 1 round. This generates problems when you are planning to rebid in hearts after opening 2c. If it goes 2c-2h, what do you do? 3h is now forcing to game, and pass gets no info from partner potentially missing a game. I personally don't like this treatment. Yes, it's beneficial to be able to force to game with a 2d bid, but I hate the problems that come with the 2h bid much less the 2n bid when 3n is the proper place to play. I'd much rather do a cheaper minor system to deal with bust hands. Also, if 2d is waiting, you could still have a decent hand, so you don't have to bid 2n to show values.

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-22, 01:08

View Postpescetom, on 2018-July-15, 14:24, said:

Nothing terribly wrong with that, and it avoids the awful 2NT = balanced points reply.
Although it is incompatible with Kokish 2H (useful if you open 2NT low), and not many experts think it is worth playing a "Red Flag" to show a very weak hand.

Kokish is still there for a 2D response, which is far more common than a 2H response.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#7 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2018-July-22, 03:32

I like to play 2 as a game-forcing relay. You can use the available space to locate your fit and look for slam possibilities. IMO responder should bid 2 on most game-going hands to not interfere with opener's bidding plan; other bids should show a KQxxxx-or-better suit.

After 2-2 you may rebid 2NT on all balanced hands or use a Kokish style 2 with considerable extra strength - as you prefer.

Playing this way you need a weak 2 response (my definition is 0-3 pts without a king or 4 jacks) to stop short of game when opener only has a semi-forcing hand. After that, opener may pass or bid 2/2NT nonforcing; any 3-level rebid is forcing to game.

An interesting idea which I adopted recently with my regular partner is to use 2 to show any good suit (as specified above) allowing opener to ask with 2NT or bid his own suits as planned. Responder would rebid naturally (3NT shows AKQxxx in any suit), jumping or raising to show fit for opener. The knowledge that responder has a quality suit should help investigating slam possibilities.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users