• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play 4H Matchpoints

#1 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-13, 00:47

West leads the 10, 2, 3, Q

You lead a low club from hand. West wins the queen (6 from East) and switches to 2.

How do you play on from here?

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-July-13, 15:30

It appears I will need 4 heart tricks out of hand + 6 tricks outside of hearts. Unless the clubs are 3/4, I can't get back to dummy, so to make it that way and still be consistent with the play, I place LHO with KQx in clubs. I'm guessing he also holds 10(9)x of spades. The lack of a heart shift seems to indicate a heart honor or two, so that leaves diamonds. I am thinking LHO's hand must look a little like: 109x, KJx, xxx, KQxx.

I guess I have to win the diamond ace and then take the ruffing finesse - if covered, I ruff small, then play club A, spade A, then ruff a club. If this plan is still working, I cash the big diamond, pitching my last club, then ruff a spade small back to hand, and exit with the heart Q.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-16, 05:19

Ick I am going to play Lho for Hx(x) and rho for the K with a 33 heart break.
trick 1 win spade Q
trick 2 dia to ace
trick 3 heart to Q
trick 4 heart A
trick 5 low heart
trick 6 win the next trick in hand (unless they play on clubs)
trick 7 lead a low club toward the Jx
A LOP with little chance of success and since we seem to be too high to salvage MP by playing for down 1 we might as well try to make it.

#4 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-16, 05:47

View Postgszes, on 2018-July-16, 05:19, said:

... since we seem to be too high to salvage MP by playing for down 1 we might as well try to make it.

The field will surely be in 3NT - which may be failing due to problems with entries. One off might be ok methinks.

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-16, 19:18

View PostTramticket, on 2018-July-16, 05:47, said:

The field will surely be in 3NT - which may be failing due to problems with entries. One off might be ok methinks.

I guess we bid differently I would normally end up in 3d or 3h depending on system.

#6 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-23, 01:19

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-July-13, 15:30, said:

It appears I will need 4 heart tricks out of hand + 6 tricks outside of hearts. Unless the clubs are 3/4, I can't get back to dummy, so to make it that way and still be consistent with the play, I place LHO with KQx in clubs. I'm guessing he also holds 10(9)x of spades. The lack of a heart shift seems to indicate a heart honor or two, so that leaves diamonds. I am thinking LHO's hand must look a little like: 109x, KJx, xxx, KQxx.

I guess I have to win the diamond ace and then take the ruffing finesse - if covered, I ruff small, then play club A, spade A, then ruff a club. If this plan is still working, I cash the big diamond, pitching my last club, then ruff a spade small back to hand, and exit with the heart Q.

Well done, you made it and read LHO's hand for almost exactly what he had: 1098x KJ9 9xx KQx.

At the table, LHO thought for a long time ("almost five minutes" according to dummy) before winning the queen, Declarer inferred from the break in tempo that LHO did not hold K, so when she won A she took the club finesse and now had four losers.

#7 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-August-23, 10:00

View Postjallerton, on 2018-August-23, 01:19, said:

Well done, you made it and read LHO's hand for almost exactly what he had: 1098x KJ9 9xx KQx.

At the table, LHO thought for a long time ("almost five minutes" according to dummy) before winning the queen, Declarer inferred from the break in tempo that LHO did not hold K, so when she won A she took the club finesse and now had four losers.

I actually used to be able to play this game, but by the time we played you guys in Dallas I had misplaced the ability to concentrate to the degree that is necessary for me to play my best, which is why I went back into hibernation. :D
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8 User is offline   johnworf1 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-September-11, 16:12

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-July-13, 15:30, said:

without reading anything else i think this would be my line too...seems most logical i hope!

#9 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-11, 17:41

View Postjallerton, on 2018-August-23, 01:19, said:

Was the TD called, and did he or she deem the BIT to be for a demonstrable bridge reason?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users