Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Only by South A curiosity

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-12, 05:39

In the pub at the North London Club on Tuesday we had the choice of watching highlights of the France v Belgium match or working out what lead would have beaten me as North in Six Diamonds. On the actual 6 lead, I was able to squeeze East in spades and hearts in the ending, but the all-knowing all-seeing bot told me that I could have been beaten, but only if played by North. You may enjoy working out how and why without asking the Oracle.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-12, 07:44

Obvious what the lead must be as there's only one suit where it makes the slightest difference which side it's led from, why is much more subtle.

#3 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2018-July-18, 22:59

On a high trump lead by West, South wins as follows:

Win J with the queen and play three rounds of hearts, ruffing with 7.

A. West overruffs. Take his spade return in dummy, ruff another heart high, finesse in trumps and cash out for 12 tricks. If instead he returns a club, take in hand, reach dummy in spades and continue as above. If instead he returns a trump, take in dummy as high as necessary, ruff a heart and cash out.

B. West discards a spade. Play small to K and play the 10 to jack and ace.
---- If West ruffs and returns a club, take in hand, cash the second club and play three rounds of trump squeezing East in the majors.
---- If West ruffs and returns a trump, win in hand, draw the last trump and play three rounds of clubs, finessing the king and ruffing the third. Again East is squeezed.
---- If West discards, play a small trump towards dummy. West must split and you take with A. Now play three rounds of clubs, finessing the king, discarding a spade on the second and ruffing the third. Ruff a heart high and play a spade to make 8 en passant.

C. West discards a club. Play A and small to K. Play two rounds of clubs, finessing the king and discarding a spade from dummy and play a spade.
---- If West discards, ruff small, ruff a heart high and ruff a club. West can take the last trick.
---- If West ruffs high and returns a trump, win in dummy, ruff the last heart and take the last tricks in dummy.
---- If West ruffs high and returns a club, ruff in dummy, ruff the last heart and finesse in trumps.

This line obviously doesn't work when East leads a trump as it involves dummy's A8x sitting over West's JTx (or similar) later. Remains to show that there is no other winning line against East's trump lead and that NS succeed on the lead of any side suit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users