• You cannot reply to this topic

Play this 3NT

#1 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-03, 01:42

Butler Pairs
Lead 7

You may not like the bidding but 3NT is not a silly contract.

How do you play the hand? How do you play the heart suit? (a) How would you play this suit in isolation? (b) How do you play this suit with this hand and auction?

EDITTED - Bidding was imput wrongly

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2018-July-03, 11:32

i'd let it ride to the q and run the 9 of hearts
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-July-03, 12:57

I have to make something of the clubs and the lead attacks my entries - so I will win in hand and lead the K of clubs to force LHO to decide how to play without seeing a count card from his partner. Assuming a duck, I lead the Q of clubs. I would place him with a 7-card diamond suit: AK, (?), J10xxxxx, Axx. If he wins the first club and continues diamonds, I would win, cross to the winning club in hand, then lead a low heart, playing LHO for a singleton honor.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-03, 13:11

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-July-03, 12:57, said:

I have to make something of the clubs and the lead attacks my entries - so I will win in hand and lead the K of clubs to force LHO to decide how to play without seeing a count card from his partner. Assuming a duck, I lead the Q of clubs. I would place him with a 7-card diamond suit: AK, (?), J10xxxxx, Axx. If he wins the first club and continues diamonds, I would win, cross to the winning club in hand, then lead a low heart, playing LHO for a singleton honor.

Ok, I was thinking similarly.

So, I won in dummy with the king of diamonds, led the king of clubs (ducked), followed by the queen of clubs. West takes her ace and plays a second round of diamonds, won in hand. If you cash the jack of clubs, West discards a diamond. How are you playing the hearts?

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-July-03, 16:08

View PostTramticket, on 2018-July-03, 13:11, said:

So, I won in dummy with the king of diamonds, led the king of clubs (ducked), followed by the queen of clubs. West takes her ace and plays a second round of diamonds, won in hand. If you cash the jack of clubs, West discards a diamond. How are you playing the hearts?

Low from both hands, playing for singleton King.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2018-July-03, 17:08

I managed to misplay the hand double dummy on the following plausible layout:

:(

#7 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-July-03, 20:01

View Postnullve, on 2018-July-03, 17:08, said:

I managed to misplay the hand double dummy on the following plausible layout:

:(

I expect West - who has bid twice on a suit headed by J10, once after his partner passed - to have better distribution. 2173 or 3172.

#8 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-04, 01:28

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-July-03, 16:08, said:

Low from both hands, playing for singleton King.

It won't work. West will take the singleton king, the defence will cash two top spades and then exit in spades, You will have to play hearts from dummy and will lose to the J. If you are going to play for the singleton K, why not play the ace?

#9 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-04, 01:39

The actual hand:

Well done Winstonm for diagnosing the singleton king. I agree that West will have distribution to bid twice opposite a passed partner, but I couldn't make the leap to place west with K singleton.

#10 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2018-July-04, 05:43

View PostTramticket, on 2018-July-04, 01:28, said:

It won't work. West will take the singleton king, the defence will cash two top spades and then exit in spades, You will have to play hearts from dummy and will lose to the J. If you are going to play for the singleton K, why not play the ace?

I made a similar mistake on my layout by playing a low heart from dummy at trick 2. Here's what GiB suggests might have happened:

Well defended, GiB!

#11 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-July-04, 08:01

View PostTramticket, on 2018-July-04, 01:28, said:

I was playing west to hold AK, K, J10xxxxx, Axx. I went down, I guess.

#12 User is offline   mlbridge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-04, 21:39

View PostTramticket, on 2018-July-03, 13:11, said:

Since W bid 2 diamonds without AKQ, W must have most of the high card points and most likely the K of hearts. If W have the KJx in hearts, you have no chance. If W have KJ or K,J singleton, then you can easily make. So lead heart to Ace and see what happens. If W plays low, you now play a low heart.

#13 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-05, 01:46

View Postmlbridge, on 2018-July-04, 21:39, said:

Since W bid 2 diamonds without AKQ, W must have most of the high card points and most likely the K of hearts. If W have the KJx in hearts, you have no chance. If W have KJ or K,J singleton, then you can easily make. So lead heart to Ace and see what happens. If W plays low, you now play a low heart.

Yes, I think that this is probably right. Works for KX as well as KJ, K, J, and these are the most like;y holdings.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users