BBO Discussion Forums: Another Awesome two-suit takeout by GUBBO - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another Awesome two-suit takeout by GUBBO GUBidding

#1 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-01, 17:50

Pathetic!! Luckily not vul and not doubled. That is the interesting part of the insanity. Nobody doubles!

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-01, 18:28

I think 5c is an insane overbid on your part.
I think dbl is defensible by North if it is planning on bidding spades naturally next, showing a hand too strong for a natural 2S call in this position. Practice GIB does this if you bid 2c only. That said, it probably is screwed up if you bid a larger # of clubs, not being able to bid spades naturally on other sequences.

#3 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-01, 20:35

View PostStephen Tu, on 2018-July-01, 18:28, said:

I think 5c is an insane overbid on your part.
I think dbl is defensible by North if it is planning on bidding spades naturally next, showing a hand too strong for a natural 2S call in this position. Practice GIB does this if you bid 2c only. That said, it probably is screwed up if you bid a larger # of clubs, not being able to bid spades naturally on other sequences.

I should have said in the original post that 5C is insane. I know that. I just read 2 suited takeout and with my void and 5H I bid 5C. Still insane, yes. Why does the blurb say 2-suited take out? Just bid 2S if in gross contradiction with the blurb. Is the blurb defensible?

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-01, 20:50

View Postvirgosrock, on 2018-July-01, 20:35, said:

Why does the blurb say 2-suited take out? Just bid 2S if in gross contradiction with the blurb. Is the blurb defensible?

Same reason that if you make a takeout double, it's described as a takeout double, and your partner should interpret it as a takeout double, even though your next bid may show you actually had a strong hand instead. GIB can't combine lots of hand types into a single description.

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-July-02, 12:07

View Postsmerriman, on 2018-July-01, 20:50, said:

Same reason that if you make a takeout double, it's described as a takeout double, and your partner should interpret it as a takeout double, even though your next bid may show you actually had a strong hand instead. GIB can't combine lots of hand types into a single description.

I don't think you can show a good spade hand by doubling and bidding spades later. Maybe I am wrong? please correct.

I don't think Virgo bid is completely insane.
North is marked to be short in hearts and 4 or 5 clubs.
This should be a good sacrifice as these colours.
Plus could cause opponents to miss their best contract which in this case is 5X which they dutifully missed lol
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-02, 12:22

View Poststeve2005, on 2018-July-02, 12:07, said:

I don't think you can show a good spade hand by doubling and bidding spades later. Maybe I am wrong? please correct.

Plus could cause opponents to miss their best contract which in this case is 5X which they dutifully missed lol

sm is right about the double. i have complained before and he clarified similar to this one and i forgot. sorry sm.

with the help of the esteemed diana_eva I was able to start a practice table and import a LIN from my firefox browser "activity" page.
if i bid just 2c GUBBO bids 2S showing long spades and 18+.

thanks diana_eva/sTu/sM

#7 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-02, 12:25

View Poststeve2005, on 2018-July-02, 12:07, said:

You can for bidding 2s later. Higher sequences are screwed up and should be fixed.

Advanced sac is crazy when you have zero indication the opponents have a fit or are about to bid game. Note that East didn't raise spades or even make a support double. So that means either LHO has a crap ton of spades, or partner is off-shape for some reason.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users