BBO Discussion Forums: Could GUBBO be a tad forgiving 10+13=23 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Could GUBBO be a tad forgiving 10+13=23 GUBidding

#1 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-23, 05:35

I did not bid 2S initially cos of jx qx and 6223 shape and vul.
was pleasantly surprised when 2S blurb showed 10+ and 5+. felt safe.
GUBBO jumped to 4S. Two principles:
1. Length in opponents suit. AmGors.
2. Always leap to game.

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-June-23, 06:47

I think all of us regulars in the forum have seen the many warnings that GIB just doesn't really understand balancing or pre-balancing ranges so it's best to avoid it if possible. If you think 2S unsafe, why not just overcall 1S? In my experience it's usually safer and more effective to enter early in the auction; it disrupts their auction a lot more, especially if partner can raise. And it takes a really unlucky parlay of events for the opps to cart you off at the 1 level. In live bridge, and with bots, I'm super aggro with my 1 level overcalls to avoid balancing decisions in the future; even when I was theoretically in trouble the opps seem almost never able to get me (since the minor opening nebulous, too many hands to cater to, to be able to figure out penalties at the 1 level was their best opportunity, until they have already bid on).

As for Gib on this hand, not understanding that 2S should be weak maybe 10- from failure to bid earlier, seems to have fallen prey to a hole in the DB; it is too strong for 3S, which is up to 13 TP, but not strong enough to cue bid, which is 15+ TP, 14+HCP. Also it seems it likes to just jump to game instead of cue bidding anyway, so priority for jump to game is too high vs. 3 level cue, so maybe that hole doesn't even matter.

#3 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-23, 12:55

View PostStephen Tu, on 2018-June-23, 06:47, said:

I think all of us regulars in the forum have seen the many warnings that GIB just doesn't really understand balancing or pre-balancing ranges so it's best to avoid it if possible. If you think 2S unsafe, why not just overcall 1S? In my experience it's usually safer and more effective to enter early in the auction; it disrupts their auction a lot more, especially if partner can raise. And it takes a really unlucky parlay of events for the opps to cart you off at the 1 level. In live bridge, and with bots, I'm super aggro with my 1 level overcalls to avoid balancing decisions in the future; even when I was theoretically in trouble the opps seem almost never able to get me (since the minor opening nebulous, too many hands to cater to, to be able to figure out penalties at the 1 level was their best opportunity, until they have already bid on).

As for Gib on this hand, not understanding that 2S should be weak maybe 10- from failure to bid earlier, seems to have fallen prey to a hole in the DB; it is too strong for 3S, which is up to 13 TP, but not strong enough to cue bid, which is 15+ TP, 14+HCP. Also it seems it likes to just jump to game instead of cue bidding anyway, so priority for jump to game is too high vs. 3 level cue, so maybe that hole doesn't even matter.

Love the suggestion to just overcall just 1S. Will be implementing this asap.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users