• You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for First-hand Knowledge Murphy-type cabinet bed

#1 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-June-22, 20:07

Hi,

We are short on space and are considering buying a cabinet-type Murphy bed for the guest bedroom but are hesitant about its comfort. This is the kind of bed that does not mount to the wall but uses a 3-segment 6 inch mattress that folds into a cabinet.

If you have one of these or have slept on one, I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Winston Munn
Tulsa, OK
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-23, 02:00

Hi Winston,

Years ago I had a freestanding Murphy bed for my children's friends for a sleepover. They are perhaps ok for occasional sleepovers for children - who have yet to develop adult bad backs, etc. - but not quite the real deal for adults (just my opinion.)

My daughter has her own property now and has a small box room (8'x5') where she has a good quality Japanese single futon in which I find very comfortable. The plus side is that you have a chair during the day too.

#3 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-23, 02:11

We have a Murphy bed (even transported it halfway around the world with us) but I suspect it's much larger than the one you're considering. It has a queen-sized standard mattress that just lifts up into a cabinet (with hydraulic assist). For the most part the comfort of these beds will be determined by how comfortable the mattress is (without box springs). Modern mattresses mostly don't need box springs, and ours is quite comfortable, but I wouldn't vouch for the 6-inch thick folding mattress you're describing.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-June-23, 07:16

Thanks to you both for you input. The bed I am describing isn't a true "Murphy" bed as it is not attached to the wall. It is more like a hide-a-way sofa except it is built into a cabinet. Because it has to fold and store within this cabinet, the mattresses are 6 inches, usually a combination of 4-inch memory foam and a 2-inch topper.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#5 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-23, 07:44

Just over a year ago we bought a Sleepchest (their site is Sleepchest.net) and are quite happy with it. There was a minor problem with the top lid warping but it was replaced without charge shortly after purchase. Construction is solid and our guests have said that it sleeps well. We got the double bed because the spare room is fairly small (8x12). Access to our computers is much easier now, without the old bed in the way. I have slept in it once and at 6'1'' I had to sleep cross-wise to fit comfortably. The Queen version would be ideal but when the bed is open, there is only about a foot of space between the end of the bed and the wall. When open, the edges at the foot of the bed do stick out about 3 inches and are a collision hazard for shins if you are not careful. It was fairly pricey (we are both on fixed incomes) but the quality of material and mattress (3 section foam slabs that fit well together) were both very good, so it should last a long time.
If you want any other info ...
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#6 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-June-23, 08:39

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2018-June-23, 07:44, said:

Just over a year ago we bought a Sleepchest (their site is Sleepchest.net) and are quite happy with it. There was a minor problem with the top lid warping but it was replaced without charge shortly after purchase. Construction is solid and our guests have said that it sleeps well. We got the double bed because the spare room is fairly small (8x12). Access to our computers is much easier now, without the old bed in the way. I have slept in it once and at 6'1'' I had to sleep cross-wise to fit comfortably. The Queen version would be ideal but when the bed is open, there is only about a foot of space between the end of the bed and the wall. When open, the edges at the foot of the bed do stick out about 3 inches and are a collision hazard for shins if you are not careful. It was fairly pricey (we are both on fixed incomes) but the quality of material and mattress (3 section foam slabs that fit well together) were both very good, so it should last a long time.
If you want any other info ...

Thanks, Al. That is good info.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users