BBO Discussion Forums: Forcing bid treated as non-forcing - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forcing bid treated as non-forcing

#1 User is offline   wbartley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-18, 16:31

Just play bridge robots. Human South.

3 non-forcing in this sequence is unplayable. South has shaped out and North has a choice of games (or possibly 4 not-forcing).

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-19, 02:04

I admit I don't know how the robots bid and play, but surely it's easier for the robot to judge (and a human too) if you bid 2 on the second round rather than 1 - or does that have another meaning in the robot world?

Though I do agree too that 3 in the original sequence should be unconditionally forcing. Any advanced human player would recognise that there is a double fit and game is potentially on, and 3 is a forward move to determine the best resting place.

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-June-19, 02:47

View PostFelicityR, on 2018-June-19, 02:04, said:

Though I do agree too that 3 in the original sequence should be unconditionally forcing. Any advanced human player would recognise that there is a double fit and game is potentially on, and 3 is a forward move to determine the best resting place.

That is just it South does not know there is a double fit. a 4-3 fit does not constitute a double fit.
If South knew North had 5H i am sure they just bid 4H.

So how do they find out if North has 5H? Bid 3H forcing obviously.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-19, 02:48

2S would be a game force; most would consider that a bit of an overbid with the South cards, as 17 is not really quite enough to want to be in game opposite partner's misfit 3424 6/7 count or so. 1S followed by supporting hearts, showing extra values, should get you to most games you want to be in.

#5 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-19, 04:34

View PostStephen Tu, on 2018-June-19, 02:48, said:

2S would be a game force; most would consider that a bit of an overbid with the South cards, as 17 is not really quite enough to want to be in game opposite partner's misfit 3424 6/7 count or so. 1S followed by supporting hearts, showing extra values, should get you to most games you want to be in.

I agree with this and would add that it is not good practice to jump with a three-suited hand. Here you have a partial fit for partner and you want partner to tell you more about their hand to judge the best strain. I wouldn't judge, even with a 19 count.

#6 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-19, 06:09

View PostTramticket, on 2018-June-19, 04:34, said:

I agree with this and would add that it is not good practice to jump with a three-suited hand. Here you have a partial fit for partner and you want partner to tell you more about their hand to judge the best strain. I wouldn't judge, even with a 19 count.

I would have thought having 4351 and 17 HCP would tip the balance towards jump shifting to 2S since you have 3H in pard's suit.
More interesting is what 3H blurb implies. Request to wbartley to post such that blurbs are readable.

#7 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-19, 11:07

View PostFelicityR, on 2018-June-19, 02:04, said:

I admit I don't know how the robots bid and play...

You're not the only one. Many times even the programmers don't have a good idea what's going on.

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-19, 17:12

Yes, this is a flaw in the GIB system. It also comes up when responder's second bid is 2NT.

Apparently, South has to bid 4. Pretty ugly but that's the workaround.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-20, 05:54

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-June-19, 17:12, said:

Yes, this is a flaw in the GIB system. It also comes up when responder's second bid is 2NT.

Apparently, South has to bid 4. Pretty ugly but that's the workaround.

my guess Abbess is that 3H is 16-17 in GUBBO system hence the pass. Might be 15-16 as well.
Which is why I prefer 2S jump shift with 3H.
Plus GUBBO plays Moysian fits like a champ, mostly.
Also, if 2NT over 2S - I think weakish - I can peacefully bid 3H and let it decide.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users