BBO Discussion Forums: Double of 1NT should be for takeout - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Double of 1NT should be for takeout

#1 User is offline   wbartley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-15, 10:43

Just play bridge robots. Human South.

First of all, this shouldn't be a takeout double. This double implies that South has clubs and was trapping over the 1 opener. Secondly, the description of the double says, 3+; 3+; 3+. So, why is GIB bidding 2H on xxxx when it has AQxxx of diamonds?

Title of post is wrong. Can't believe I did that. It's supposed to be, "Double of 1NT shouldn't be for takeout."

#2 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-15, 13:17

View Postwbartley, on 2018-June-15, 10:43, said:

First of all, this shouldn't be a takeout double. This double implies that South has clubs and was trapping over the 1 opener. Secondly, the description of the double says, 3+; 3+; 3+. So, why is GIB bidding 2H on xxxx when it has AQxxx of diamonds?

what did blurb say about double?

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2018-June-15, 13:39

View Postwbartley, on 2018-June-15, 10:43, said:

really???????
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   DozyDom 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-15, 14:50

...isn't it just a balancing takeout double, made with less values than an immediate one? As for the robot's response, well, that's Gib being Gib.

#5 User is offline   wbartley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-15, 15:15

View Posteagles123, on 2018-June-15, 13:39, said:

really???????

Yes. Really. The double is far more useful as business. Partner can pull it with a poor hand and a biddable suit. At total points scoring methods, there's no reason to compete in the balancing seat with a hand that couldn't make an initial takeout double of 1. Just defend. Look at it this way. If your side can make 2 of a major, what are the chances that 1NT is making on the lead of partner's better major suit?

#6 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-16, 04:29

View Postwbartley, on 2018-June-15, 15:15, said:

Yes. Really. The double is far more useful as business. Partner can pull it with a poor hand and a biddable suit. At total points scoring methods, there's no reason to compete in the balancing seat with a hand that couldn't make an initial takeout double of 1. Just defend. Look at it this way. If your side can make 2 of a major, what are the chances that 1NT is making on the lead of partner's better major suit?

One problem I see is lefty could have upto 10 HCP. GUBBO does not redouble but there could be trouble. In fact it might even bid 2NT LOL
I think GUBBO may have bid 2H since it's righty may have diamonds.

However depends on agreement as well. Is why asked what is definition of the double in bidding blurb.
over 1c-1s-1nt-p-p dbl is penalty. I recall 10 years or so ago I doubled and GUBBO led its own suit LOL

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-17, 17:18

Responder has denied a 4-card major but not necessarily a 4-card diamonds. Maybe the sims says that hearts is likely to play better than diamonds. Or maybe the double is allowed with 4=4=1=4 or similar?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2018-June-18, 05:13

Here is another one. The two robots apparently don't agree on the meaning of the double

http://tinyurl.com/yd825om9
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-18, 05:39

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-June-18, 05:13, said:

Here is another one. The two robots apparently don't agree on the meaning of the double

This one is almost opposite, though, here the opponents first bid a major and after the double partner decides to show his .
The first double would show 4-card for many of us, but not for GIB according to the explanation given and the subsequent bid of his fellow robot.

#10 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2018-June-25, 10:47

It's perfectly normal to play this double is for penalty.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users