BBO Discussion Forums: Prevent booting by the host during the play of a hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prevent booting by the host during the play of a hand

#1 User is offline   jude999 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-June-14, 07:18

I would like to suggest an update to the software to prevent a host from booting a player during the play of a hand. That is, after bidding is completed by three passes and before the next deal appears.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-June-14, 08:58

View Postjude999, on 2018-June-14, 07:18, said:

I would like to suggest an update to the software to prevent a host from booting a player during the play of a hand. That is, after bidding is completed by three passes and before the next deal appears.

So if they need to get rid of the player for some reason, they have to redeal?

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-June-14, 13:18

My suggestion (already offered) is that host should retain full rights to boot any player, but that the host should be obliged to choose a reason for the expulsion and the player should be entitled to complain (both with simple menu choices).
At that point a simple database analysis would be enough to identify both trigger happy hosts and obnoxious players.

#4 User is offline   jude999 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-June-15, 01:39

I like this suggestion as trigger happy hosts are all over BBO.
At the very least when you find yourself off the table with the message that the host has removed you from the table, the HOST’S NAME should be provided. Then at least you can make them an enemy!

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-June-15, 08:45

View Postjude999, on 2018-June-15, 01:39, said:

I like this suggestion as trigger happy hosts are all over BBO.
At the very least when you find yourself off the table with the message that the host has removed you from the table, the HOST’S NAME should be provided. Then at least you can make them an enemy!

"Host bighead89 removed you from table after 3 rounds giving reason: below claimed skill level"

You are not able to chat with host right now and you are discouraged from doing so later.

Click here if you consider that removal was not justified

Click here if you do not wish to encounter host again

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-June-15, 09:20

We used to have a system that kept track of the number of boots someone did, and took away hosting privileges if they booted too often. But I don't think it was very effective at improving the situation, so we turned it off.

If someone seems to be abusing hosting privileges, you can report them to abuse@bridgebase.com. If we get enough complaints about someone we can block them.

#7 User is offline   jude999 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-June-15, 12:15

What is the main function of the host? To clear down the score? To ask people not to be rude? Perhaps a BBO tournament director / host could be called upon. Then NO HOSTS at the tables. Really the host privilege is abused constantly.

#8 User is offline   jude999 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-June-15, 12:26

It is very difficult to submit an abuse report because if you didn’t note the host’s name you have to give up playing and wait for the hand to come up in the history, look at the players (host not shown) and try and hunt down the culprit. Who will be bothered to do this? My suggestion previously that the host’s name be given when you are booted from the table would solve this.
And you can quickly make them an enemy. Then BBO can assess how many times someone is made an enemy and BOOT them!!!

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-June-15, 12:28

View Postjude999, on 2018-June-15, 12:15, said:

What is the main function of the host? To clear down the score? To ask people not to be rude? Perhaps a BBO tournament director / host could be called upon. Then NO HOSTS at the tables. Really the host privilege is abused constantly.

I know people who regularly host on BBO and invite friends/acquaintances to join the table, which I guess is the original model of BBO and certainly something worth defending and maintaining.
But there are also many of us who only resort to hosted tables to fill some idle time, maybe waiting for a tournament. And other people who open a table as host without any real intention to be hospitable.
So I think there is a case for having some (not all) tables hosted by the system rather than human players, and being able to seek such tables.

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-June-15, 12:34

View Postbarmar, on 2018-June-15, 09:20, said:

We used to have a system that kept track of the number of boots someone did, and took away hosting privileges if they booted too often. But I don't think it was very effective at improving the situation, so we turned it off.

If someone seems to be abusing hosting privileges, you can report them to abuse@bridgebase.com. If we get enough complaints about someone we can block them.

I hear you, and it sounds reasonable.
But the typical situation for me is 0-3 rounds played when waiting for a tournament.
I'd be more likely to report them if I knew their name and why they booted me.
I'd also be a bit surprised if many of these did not show up as booting too often if you turned the system on again.

#11 User is offline   jude999 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-June-16, 03:24

View Postpescetom, on 2018-June-15, 12:28, said:

I know people who regularly host on BBO and invite friends/acquaintances to join the table, which I guess is the original model of BBO and certainly something worth defending and maintaining.
But there are also many of us who only resort to hosted tables to fill some idle time, maybe waiting for a tournament. And other people who open a table as host without any real intention to be hospitable.
So I think there is a case for having some (not all) tables hosted by the system rather than human players, and being able to seek such tables.

I like this idea of a compromise.

#12 User is offline   jude999 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-June-16, 03:26

View Postpescetom, on 2018-June-15, 12:34, said:

I hear you, and it sounds reasonable.
But the typical situation for me is 0-3 rounds played when waiting for a tournament.
I'd be more likely to report them if I knew their name and why they booted me.
I'd also be a bit surprised if many of these did not show up as booting too often if you turned the system on again.

People who boot indiscrinantly will never want to tell you the reason!
I was dealt a TEN card heart suit and when my partner and I had reached 6H doubled and dummy had come down, the host booted me, the declarer. I spent ages tracking him down and submitted an abuse report which resulted n the standard we’ll look into it answer. I’m sure the host was annoyed because I over bid his 5S call. Would he ever admit to that?!
But to simplify BBO’s work, just the name of the host when you are booted would be a GREAT start and easy to implement.
EG. The host, angry999, has removed you from the table.

#13 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-June-16, 06:30

View Postjude999, on 2018-June-16, 03:35, said:

People who boot indiscrinantly will never want to tell you the reason!
I was dealt a TEN card heart suit and when my partner and I had reached 6H doubled and dummy had come down, the host booted me, the declarer. I spent ages tracking him down and submitted an abuse report which resulted n the standard we’ll look into it answer. I’m sure the host was annoyed because I over bid his 5S call. Would he ever admit to that?!

All it takes is for the system to require host to supply a reason (from a precompiled list) before actuating the boot.
If he doesn't have a good reason (as in your example) then he either invents one (which will soon show up as anomalous) or gives up and lets you stay.

#14 User is offline   jude999 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-June-18, 03:05

View Postpescetom, on 2018-June-16, 06:30, said:

All it takes is for the system to require host to supply a reason (from a precompiled list) before actuating the boot.
If he doesn't have a good reason (as in your example) then he either invents one (which will soon show up as anomalous) or gives up and lets you stay.

#15 User is offline   jude999 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-June-18, 03:17

I like this idea ... but there are not many REAL reasons for a host to boot ..... one is rudeness & one is rubbish bidding (made purposefully to upset the game) .... slowness is already handled by BBO .... and if you think someone's standard is too poor or too good etc etc etc etc you can always leave the table yourself. So two options, one of which the host MUST select before he can boot.
And PLEASE BBO .... put the host's name and reason for booting on the screen where the player sees that the host has removed him.

#16 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-June-18, 08:31

Jude, why do you keep posting the quote and reply as separate posts? I sent you a PM yesterday telling you the proper procedure.

#17 User is offline   jude999 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-June-19, 07:31

Possibly because I didn't get a PM yesterday .... and don't know what that is!

#18 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-June-19, 08:27

View Postjude999, on 2018-June-19, 07:31, said:

Possibly because I didn't get a PM yesterday .... and don't know what that is!

PM = Private Message. Look at the top right, next to your username, there should be a circled "1" telling you that you have one message waiting for you to read. Click on it to read the message.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users