BBO Discussion Forums: Cute hand #1 from daylong GIB events.(revisited) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Cute hand #1 from daylong GIB events.(revisited)

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-June-11, 15:21

You are playing "best hand" daylong GIB event and reached to 4 in North. (you are south but human declares)

You receive 4 lead and after 3 bid you do not need to be physic to guess this is a singleton.
So you won in dummy(south) with K and and play T, A, 5, 3
West now plays J, 6, and East discards 3 and you win with Q in dummy.
Now you try another , 9 ,4,6 and East wins with the J.
East plays 9 which you win in hand with the K and play 3rd which is won by K in East while West discards 8.
East now plays club 7 which you win in dummy(south) with the A.

Did you count the hand of East and/or West?
If so the hand is an open book at this moment and you have a lock for 10 tricks despite having already lost 3 tricks and still holding a loser.
I will leave it to you to work out the rest of the hand. As a novice or beginner or an intermediate perhaps, to be able to count the opponents hands is what you need for now and whether you find a solution or not after finding out their shape is more like intermediate material. If you could not find how to play the rest of the hand after counting their hand, it is OK. I or other members will get back to this and tell you how to handle the 4th loser.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-11, 16:08

Ace of spades appears twice, suspect one is the K

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-11, 17:49

If I've read it correctly, the final position is now

Qx
Kx
Ax
-

-
Ax
xx
Tx

with the lead in South.

Spoiler

ahydra

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-June-11, 19:26

View Postahydra, on 2018-June-11, 17:49, said:

Spoiler

ahydra

Yes, wd ahaydra. You can improve your line by ruffing the 3rd in case East bid 3 with 3613.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-June-12, 02:57

View PostMrAce, on 2018-June-11, 19:26, said:

Yes, wd ahaydra. You can improve your line by ruffing the 3rd in case East bid 3 with 3613.

If E was 3613, there is no squeeze, W discarded a club earlier which he doesn't do from 4 as your 4th one is now just good.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-June-12, 04:07

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-June-12, 02:57, said:

If E was 3613, there is no squeeze, W discarded a club earlier which he doesn't do from 4 as your 4th one is now just good.

I have no idea what you are talking about, your clubs are 4-2 and you cashed AK, W discarded 1, means he still has one club if he discarded from 4 clubs, so you need to ruff 3rd in order to score the 4th.
Ruffing the 3rd is mandatory and it does not hurt if clubs are 5-2 anyway.
If you read carefully I did not say there is a squeeze if E is 6313. I said "ruff the 3rd " to ahydra before cashing AK of as an improvement to the line he wrote.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-June-12, 05:18

View PostMrAce, on 2018-June-12, 04:07, said:

I have no idea what you are talking about, your clubs are 4-2 and you cashed AK, W discarded 1, means he still has one club if he discarded from 4 clubs, so you need to ruff 3rd in order to score the 4th.
Ruffing the 3rd is mandatory and it does not hurt if clubs are 5-2 anyway.
If you read carefully I did not say there is a squeeze if E is 6313. I said "ruff the 3rd " to ahydra before cashing AK of as an improvement to the line he wrote.

I'm saying what you're saying, just that clubs are 3-3 after W discards one in that case, so the squeeze is unneeded, but that W never discards a club in a million years if he only has 4.

#8 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-19, 02:14

Nice problem, MrAce, but squeezes in the Novice and Beginner Forum :)

#9 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-19, 05:35

View PostFelicityR, on 2018-June-19, 02:14, said:

Nice problem, MrAce, but squeezes in the Novice and Beginner Forum :)

It isn't the squeeze that is the point for this forum. But the counting is.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users