BBO Discussion Forums: game try vs. competitive bid 3 over 3 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

game try vs. competitive bid 3 over 3

#1 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-June-09, 14:17

OK so maybe I'm not supposed to bid 3 myself, but I think I ought to be able to bid 3 without fearing a bump to 4 by North. South's bid should maybe be more limited at the top end, and flags for North set to not think about it? With 3d being the generic game try not showing a diamond card as it does now.
To me if North wants to bid 4H now should have bid 3c earlier, otherwise he should listen that South has close to zero interest in 4.

#2 User is offline   wbartley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-09, 16:03

Your 3 bid is awful but that doesn't matter. North has no business bidding 4. The explanation of 3 clearly indicates no game interest. Either the explanation is wrong or GIB is off its rocker. On second thought. If this is advanced GIB, it may be running some simulations given the auction. With 3 showing six way more often than five and the opponents holding 9 clubs more often than 8, it probably figures 4 will have play. So, this one may be your fault. Make your three of clubs the three of hearts and 4 has good play.

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-09, 17:17

I don't feel like it is supposed to simulate though. If I have 6H stiff club I should be making game try very aggressively so if I bid 3H only I should be bottom of range. It also preclude me from bidding 3H on 2 way hands, where I think 3H down 1 fairly often, but then cheap sac against 3c and hard to double, while also picking up some double partial swings, and sometimes pushing them to 4c, if I have to worry about North reevaluating and bidding 4. At least at non-vul, anyway.

#4 User is offline   wbartley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-09, 18:17

Okay, make your 2 of clubs the 2 of hearts and your two of spades the two of diamonds. Now you have a six loser hand that only rates a total tricks raise to 3 and you have the same play for game as the 64 hand. You're leaving no wiggle room. A single raise is such a wide range of possible hands and the North hand with the club ace, concentration of spade values and four trumps is a super max after LHO raises to 3. Look at it this way. If you had the North hand and you knew LHO was going to raise to 3 before you bid, wouldn't you be tempted to bid 3?

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-09, 18:52

I'm saying that I am going to bid 3d super light when I want North to reevaluate with most all 6h-1c hands. For 3H I am going to be less good 3622 shapes, hands with 5 hearts only 3541, and hands with only K of diamonds not ace of diamonds, 2 diamond losers very often.

I don't know, maybe you're right. But I was taught that North just doesn't bid game having made a single raise when South doesn't make a try and only competes. Occasionally a thin game makes, yes, if you allow North to raise, but a style where North won't bid allows South to bid on a lot more hands and pick up double partial swings vs. 3c than if South is worried that North will be pushing on with significant frequency. I'm OK with missing some of our 19 pt games that the other table is likely to be missing also.

I have had partners who make the raise to game after just comp thing, occasionally it worked, but way more often it didn't.

#6 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-11, 10:00

View PostStephen Tu, on 2018-June-09, 18:52, said:

I'm saying that I am going to bid 3d super light when I want North to reevaluate with most all 6h-1c hands. For 3H I am going to be less good 3622 shapes, hands with 5 hearts only 3541, and hands with only K of diamonds not ace of diamonds, 2 diamond losers very often.

I don't know, maybe you're right. But I was taught that North just doesn't bid game having made a single raise when South doesn't make a try and only competes. Occasionally a thin game makes, yes, if you allow North to raise, but a style where North won't bid allows South to bid on a lot more hands and pick up double partial swings vs. 3c than if South is worried that North will be pushing on with significant frequency. I'm OK with missing some of our 19 pt games that the other table is likely to be missing also.

I have had partners who make the raise to game after just comp thing, occasionally it worked, but way more often it didn't.

my sympathies Mr. Tu. With GUBBO I would not bid 3H because it is not known what it will do. Maybe it thought you had something special to show which is not 3D. maybe stiff club. it has 2d, has supporting spades and a 4th heart. so BOOM!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users