• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB hates to bid NT

#1 User is offline   wbartley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-08, 18:12

Just play bridge robots. Human South.

The explanation of the 2 bid included 3-. GIB seems to be forcing the auction past 3NT. One might argue that South should rebid 3 but having already suppressed diamond support once, it seems like masterminding to suppress it again. This is an interesting followup to one of my previous posts about GIB not supporting hearts (1D=1H=1N=2S=3C=3N=4H was the auction with GIB first to bid). In the replies to that post, it was pointed out that NMF is available to ask for three card heart support and also that since GIB had denied holding 4 spades, the 2 bid was needlessly giving away information. But, the 2 bid at least has the benefit of showing five or more hearts. In this case, the 2 bidder has already shown five diamonds so there seems to be no point to bidding 3 here unless you're afraid of NT, which you aren't.

#2 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-09, 05:05

View Postwbartley, on 2018-June-08, 18:12, said:

Just play bridge robots. Human South.

The explanation of the 2 bid included 3-. GIB seems to be forcing the auction past 3NT. One might argue that South should rebid 3 but having already suppressed diamond support once, it seems like masterminding to suppress it again. This is an interesting followup to one of my previous posts about GIB not supporting hearts (1D=1H=1N=2S=3C=3N=4H was the auction with GIB first to bid). In the replies to that post, it was pointed out that NMF is available to ask for three card heart support and also that since GIB had denied holding 4 spades, the 2 bid was needlessly giving away information. But, the 2 bid at least has the benefit of showing five or more hearts. In this case, the 2 bidder has already shown five diamonds so there seems to be no point to bidding 3 here unless you're afraid of NT, which you aren't.

I would bid 3S. If GUBBO subsides (3 NT) then so be it. If GUBBO bids 4S (hopefully with 2S) then can re-evaluate though 12+ plus 12+ is not going anywhere.

#3 User is offline   wbartley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-09, 10:25

Is there some way to set up a specific layout at a practice or bidding table? I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. If I try to configure the hand generator, it times out if I specify too many specific cards. Apparently, rather than dealing the specific cards and then generating the hand with the remaining cards, the deal generator keeps generating random hands looking for one with the specific cards. The syntax is really awkward in any case so it's not a practical way to set up layouts, even if it did work.

The reason I ask is that I'm curious whether GIB will bid 4 over a 3 rebid in this situation.

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-June-09, 10:57

just set the dealer and
predeal north S?????,H????,D???,C?etc. in the advanced tab.
I wouldn't bother specifying the other cards, though one can (newline between hands not comma). You are forcing bids for everyone until the decision point so it doesn't matter if the cards completely mismatch the bidding other than the hand you are testing what the bot picks at a particular juncture.

Also it's using basic bots in the practice room, advanced bots kick in simulations under certain circumstances and will sometimes do something different.
GIB bids 3nt over 3S.
I agree though that 2nt much better rebid than 3h in this situation though, and should be prioritized once South denies hearts. 2/1 sequences need a lot of work on the 2nd and 3rd round bids.

#5 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-09, 12:31

View PostStephen Tu, on 2018-June-09, 10:57, said:

just set the dealer and
predeal north S?????,H????,D???,C?etc. in the advanced tab.
I wouldn't bother specifying the other cards, though one can (newline between hands not comma). You are forcing bids for everyone until the decision point so it doesn't matter if the cards completely mismatch the bidding other than the hand you are testing what the bot picks at a particular juncture.

Also it's using basic bots in the practice room, advanced bots kick in simulations under certain circumstances and will sometimes do something different.
GIB bids 3nt over 3S.
I agree though that 2nt much better rebid than 3h in this situation though, and should be prioritized once South denies hearts. 2/1 sequences need a lot of work on the 2nd and 3rd round bids.

methinks GUBBO will avoid 2 NT with stiff spade since pd may jump to 4S with 6S assuming doubleton for 2 NT. Of course depends on the zodiac and position of the stars.

#6 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-June-09, 14:06

No, it'll bid 2nt with 2452 also, club stopper or not. It just has too high a priority for showing 2nd 4 cd suit vs. 2nt.

#7 User is offline   wbartley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-09, 14:35

Thanks for that very valuable info, Stephen!

Basic GIB does indeed bid 3NT in response to a 3 bid. However, give it 7 AQT3 KQ9862 K2, and the auction goes, 1=2=2=3=3=3NT when we're ice cold for 6.

Interstingly, with 7 KQT3 KQ9862 K2, basic GIB bids 4 instead of 3NT.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users