• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What now?

#1 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-05, 02:54

You've reached a decent slam, but suddenly East wakes and doubles 6. What do you do?

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-June-05, 03:28

Why on earth did I bid 3 rather than raising diamonds (if 4 was a fit bid it would be a good bid). Looks like there's a diamond ruff off the hand, did you have voidwood available ? I'd be inclined to bid 6N if you did.

#3 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-05, 04:30

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-June-05, 03:28, said:

Why on earth did I bid 3 rather than raising diamonds (if 4 was a fit bid it would be a good bid). Looks like there's a diamond ruff off the hand, did you have voidwood available ? I'd be inclined to bid 6N if you did.

Should've mentioned MP-Scoring, so 6M is far superior to 6m, so there is something to be said for not supressing a decent 5 bagger.
By the way East is on lead, so X is not Lightner.

regards
JW

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-June-05, 05:12

View PostJanisW, on 2018-June-05, 04:30, said:

Should've mentioned MP-Scoring, so 6M is far superior to 6m, so there is something to be said for not supressing a decent 5 bagger.

regards
JW

6M is only superior if it makes :)

Missed that, in which case I'm not sure what E's double is, surely he's not doubling with 109xxx and an ace or H109x(x) without knowing he's beating 6N too, how good is he ?

Anything could be right here, but playing a system where I know nothing about partner's hand doesn't help me make a decision here.

I probably bid 6N but don't like it much, I don't know what partner has where Q is irrelevant to him (he could have asked) and E can double.

#5 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-05, 06:42

To my mind, I prefer 4 to 3. I also prefer not to use controls in response to a 2 opening. If the bidding had gone 2 - 2(positive - just! - and a suit) - 3 - 4, etc. partner could have judged the auction better.

However you might have landed in 6 even using that sequence. As to what to do now, well you could chance 6NT - a dangerous bid - but East could well rue doubling 6 if 6NT makes on a squeeze when the are run.

#6 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-05, 08:24

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-June-05, 05:12, said:

Missed that ...

So did East probably.

I am inclined to stay put.

#7 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-June-05, 13:12

I'm also staying put. Partner heard my bids and should know I have no As or K because of the control response. If bidding 6 is wrong, so be it. The issue is that you can't discern what prompted partner to bid 6 . Without knowing what holding prompted him/her to do so, making any move is pure speculation and unwise.

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-June-05, 13:45

View Postrmnka447, on 2018-June-05, 13:12, said:

I'm also staying put. Partner heard my bids and should know I have no As or K because of the control response. If bidding 6 is wrong, so be it. The issue is that you can't discern what prompted partner to bid 6 . Without knowing what holding prompted him/her to do so, making any move is pure speculation and unwise.

Is it not quite likely he thought you could ruff out his diamonds with AKxxxx or similar. You are being told the spades aren't breaking and this might cause an issue with your poor spade suit. Unless the doubler is known to roll the dice in situations like this I would trust him and bid 6N.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-05, 15:30

View PostJanisW, on 2018-June-05, 02:54, said:

You've reached a decent slam, but suddenly East wakes and doubles 6. What do you do?

I bid 6 NT, particularly if E is a good player.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   ToffeeDan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-June-06, 03:01

You are about to suffer a diamond ruff (and an ace of hearts or A or King spade later..)

Suggest you bid the making 6N.

#11 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-06, 04:15

Partner knows that you have two side suit Kings. He did not bid 5, which indicates he has AKxx(x) in spades. We must be missing an ace otherwise why bother with 4N.

So partner hand looks like

AKxx
x(x)
AKQxx
Ax(x)

So maybe the double is designed to scare you into 6N allowing a lead through your Kxx as 6 making is going to be a good score the double is a low risk tactic. The reason partner bid 4N is that if you showed an ace he can count 12 tricks and bid 6N, but when you show up with 2 kings, one of them needs protection from the opening lead.

Therefore, I am sticking not twisting. I might even be tempted to stick in a stiletto with a redouble even though it will make no difference to the final score

If we are down, the PM will be interesting!

#12 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-06, 05:03

Should I have helped patner by redoubling. To be honest, I did not even consider him running to 6NT?

Easts double was courageous, to put it mildly ;) <_<
His reasoning was, that he was able to see, that nothing broke our way and he really hoped to beat 6...

regards
JW

#13 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-June-06, 05:34

View PostJanisW, on 2018-June-06, 05:03, said:

Should I have helped patner by redoubling. To be honest, I did not even consider him running to 6NT?

His reasoning was, that he was able to see, that nothing broke our way and he really hoped to beat 6...

regards
JW

If he does run to 6N do they lead a heart or a club ?

If you have a sensible auction (do not play control responses, nobody any good does), partner would be able to tell you he had a singleton heart and you wouldn't pull.

#14 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-06, 06:21

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-June-06, 05:34, said:

If you have a sensible auction (do not play control responses, nobody any good does), partner would be able to tell you he had a singleton heart and you wouldn't pull.

You might ne right about the control responses being bad, but I don't see how knowing about the singleton heart does any difference whatsoever. If South had a doubleton or a void pulling to 6NT would be just as bad.

#15 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-06, 06:53

East hoped that 6 was going off and wanted to improve +50 to +100? How many additional match points would be likely to be gained by this futile gesture?

View PostMrAce, on 2018-June-05, 15:30, said:

I bid 6 NT, particularly if E is a good player.

East isn't.

#16 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-June-06, 08:45

View PostJanisW, on 2018-June-06, 06:21, said:

You might ne right about the control responses being bad, but I don't see how knowing about the singleton heart does any difference whatsoever. If South had a doubleton or a void pulling to 6NT would be just as bad.

While a small doubleton is possible there's not a lot of room for that in a 2 opener, even the J makes a difference, the Q a big difference.

Because of the system I play and what we respond on, I'd probably start with 1 rather than 2 and take the risk partner has Qxxxx and out and they don't balance.

1-1-2N(GF unbal)-3(semi forced)-4(4162/4153)-5-5-5-6 and no thought of pulling.

#17 User is offline   VladXV 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-June-06, 10:48

View PostJanisW, on 2018-June-05, 04:30, said:

regards
JW

Far fewer pairs have good methods of finding 6m. If both 6m and 6M are on we're at a loss, but whenever 6m is the better slam we're at a huge gain.

#18 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-06, 11:29

View PostTramticket, on 2018-June-06, 06:53, said:

East hoped that 6 was going off and wanted to improve +50 to +100? How many additional match points would be likely to be gained by this futile gesture?

Quite a lot if he is the only one doubling and most of the field is in 6-1
MP-Scoring!

#19 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-06, 11:31

View PostVladXV, on 2018-June-06, 10:48, said:

Far fewer pairs have good methods of finding 6m. If both 6m and 6M are on we're at a loss, but whenever 6m is the better slam we're at a huge gain.

6m is one off by the way:)

#20 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-06, 12:44

regards
JW

I think North is totally wrong to mastermind the situation he has 9 hcp and his partner knows about 6 of them

He would not be my partner next week!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users