2/1 Assistance Please

#1 User is offline   briannz556 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, English Football, Mathematics

Posted 2018-May-31, 17:05

Hi
I'm new to 2/1 and had this hand at the table last night with East the Dealer:

In passing, we have Flannery in our arsenal which might affect suggestions. Our bidding started: 1H - 2C - but went stray after that.

In hindsight I was thinking 1H - 2C - 3S might imply a 6-4 distribution in the majors for East with 1H - 2C - 3S - 4H - 4NT etc being a possible pathway but would appreciate some offers of help.

My question, how do we get to a slam in H please?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-31, 17:16

Does 1-2-2-2N-3 show 6 ? I'm not familiar with 2/1, but if it does it's easy after this.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-31, 19:35

Cyberyeti's auction is fine. If you play Flannery, there can be no doubt that 2 shows extra values which makes it easier for West to decide to push for slam. W can now continues with 3 which in most styles is a cuebid for hearts, but if you are not sure if 3 has this meaning (it would not be crazy to play it as showing three spades and ask E to bid 3nt only with some help in diamonds), W can also just ask for aces. This is not recommended since from W's point of view, you could have two quick diamond losers. So maybe W should bid 4 which can only be a cuebid. Best is to discuss with partner if 3 is a cuebid in this auction.

You can also bid
2-2
2NT-3
which maybe shows the six-card hearts more clearly but doesn't show extras. Note that the 2 bid doesn't show six in most styles but the 3 bid will show six hearts since with only five, East would either have used Flannery or rebid 2.

In this latter auction, W might prefer to raise hearts instead of bidding 2NT, but in most styles the 2 doesn't promised six and W should therefore try to avoid raising with doubleton support.

So go for Cyberyeti's auction IMO.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-01, 12:57

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-May-31, 17:16, said:

Does 1-2-2-2N-3 show 6 ? I'm not familiar with 2/1, but if it does it's easy after this.

It sure does. Different styles of 2/1 mean 2 may or may not show extra strength, but if (as I play) a 2 rebid may be just 5 if no additional strength, the 2 rebid clearly shows 4 cards and 15+ hcp. 2NT does not say you want to play in NT, but is bid without any clear shape to show, such as longer clubs or a second suit, and it allows opener to clarify his hand. When opener shows a 46xx shape of 15+, responder can make slam moves.

Those moves depend on methods. Unfortunately you can't ideally ask for aces now because opener may have just Jx in diamonds, so it may be better to bid 4 as a 4th suit general slam move agreeing hearts, and let opener with his ideal hand do the asking.

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-June-01, 16:33

View Postbriannz556, on 2018-May-31, 17:05, said:

Hi

In passing, we have Flannery in our arsenal which might affect suggestions. Our bidding started: 1H - 2C - but went stray after that.

In hindsight I was thinking 1H - 2C - 3S might imply a 6-4 distribution in the majors for East with 1H - 2C - 3S - 4H - 4NT etc being a possible pathway but would appreciate some offers of help.

One thing to keep in mind when switching to 2/1 is a big part of the purpose of 2/1 is to eliminate the need to jump around in the bidding, so jumps have very definite meanings (partnership decided). I would take 3S in the auction as 56 distribution.

As there is no need to jump, 2S would be sufficient because there is also no need for responder to jump around, leaving plenty of room to complete your 4-6 shape at the 3-level.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6 User is offline   briannz556 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, English Football, Mathematics

Posted 2018-June-01, 16:41

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-June-01, 16:33, said:

One thing to keep in mind when switching to 2/1 is a big part of the purpose of 2/1 is to eliminate the need to jump around in the bidding, so jumps have very definite meanings (partnership decided). I would take 3S in the auction as 56 distribution.

As there is no need to jump, 2S would be sufficient because there is also no need for responder to jump around, leaving plenty of room to complete your 4-6 shape at the 3-level.

Much appreciate the helpful advice. Obviously I need to discuss the meaning of a jump shift with my partner. Thanks.

#7 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-01, 18:17

I probably would have taken 3 as a splinter for clubs, so yes, definitely something to discuss :)

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-June-01, 21:26

View Postbriannz556, on 2018-May-31, 17:05, said:

Hi

Depending on which version of 2/1 you play you are or virtually are in a game force situation when responder bids 2 . The "virtually" refers to 2/1 that some players play that allows opener to pass if responder simply rebids the 2/1 bid suit. I'll speak to the version of 2/1 where a simple rebid by opener of his major just shows a minimum and doesn't necessarily promise extra length.

Flannery does play into this auction as it eliminates all possible 11 to 15 5 /4 hands from this kind of 2/1 auction. So, any time you the auction goes:

1 - 2

opener is showing a hand that was too good for Flannery so 16+ with at least 5 /4 . Since responder has presumably shown opening values (with the possible exception to game force noted earlier), you are in a game force situation. Well, how about a minimum opener with 6 /4 ? Opener can rebid 2 and then if responder has 4 can rebid 2 . Opener can then raise in and responder will know opener must be 6-4 because Flannery wasn't used.

Over responder's rebid (2 NT or possibly 3 if forcing), opener can then rebid 3 to show the 6/4 "good" (16+) hand. Responder can then raise to 4 and opener can use RKCB. But if your partnership has the understanding that responder would immediately raise 2 to 3 with 4 , responder might consider rebidding 3 over 3 , then bidding or raising next. That would show a better hand that responder was reluctant to bid only 4 on the previous round. It's sort of a "I like my hand for and wanted to show something on the way to 4 " bid.

1 - 2
2 - 2 NT
3 - 3
3 NT- 4
?

Now opener can more easily use RKCB or variant.

1 - 2
2 - 2 NT
3 - 3
3 NT- 4
4NT- 5
6 - P

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users