BBO Discussion Forums: One session Dupli-Swiss (4 rounds, 6 boards per round) for 4 to 7 teams - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

One session Dupli-Swiss (4 rounds, 6 boards per round) for 4 to 7 teams

#1 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2018-May-30, 07:56

I have convinced my local club (after volunteering to duplicate the several sets of boards required) to try a "Dupli-Swiss" where the same six boards are played during each of the four matches and a hand record made available after play ends.

Very unlikely will more than 12 teams compete. For up to 16 teams, four boards sets 1-24 and one board set 1-36 (so that an odd number of teams with a 3-way at Tables C1/C2/C3 can use 25-30 and 31-36) will be sufficient. The "A" tables are split into groups of three tables (triangles) and they share boards 1-6 in Round 1. Similar for the "B" tables in Round 1. A 3-way with an odd number of teams use 1-6, 7-12, and 25-30 in Rounds 1 and 2.

No caddy is required to move boards as no boards are passed from any "A" table to "B" table or vice versa.

This is generally easy for 8 or more tables.

QUESTION: How would this be set up for 4 to 7 tables where you play a round robin type format? Of particular interest is the odd number of tables (5 or 7 teams) situation which normally would require comparison only after every TWO rounds. I considered a Board-A-Match type movement, but it appears the teams cannot compare until the entire 24 boards are played, which would not be an acceptable format.

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2018-May-30, 08:16

View PostBudH, on 2018-May-30, 07:56, said:

QUESTION: How would this be set up for 4 to 7 tables where you play a round robin type format? Of particular interest is the odd number of tables (5 or 7 teams) situation which normally would require comparison only after every TWO rounds. I considered a Board-A-Match type movement, but it appears the teams cannot compare until the entire 24 boards are played, which would not be an acceptable format.

With any even number of tables you can circulate the boards around the tables in a snake or a loop. For matches of 2N boards you need one set for every N tables, and one to feed in.

For 5 or 7 tables, you need three board sets for each pair of rounds, e.g. 1-6, 7-12, 13-18.
For 5 tables, you can get away with one set of each board set, the two tables can share six boards.
For 7 tables, youo can probably do some sharing but it may be best to have one set of boards per table, 3 x 1-6, 3 x 7-12, 1 x 13-18.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2018-May-30, 09:17

View PostRMB1, on 2018-May-30, 08:16, said:

With any even number of tables you can circulate the boards around the tables in a snake or a loop. For matches of 2N boards you need one set for every N tables, and one to feed in.

For 5 or 7 tables, you need three board sets for each pair of rounds, e.g. 1-6, 7-12, 13-18.
For 5 tables, you can get away with one set of each board set, the two tables can share six boards.
For 7 tables, youo can probably do some sharing but it may be best to have one set of boards per table, 3 x 1-6, 3 x 7-12, 1 x 13-18.

I'm having trouble visualing this.

Just as an example, assume we had five teams playing a four round, six board per round round robin with comparison after the first two rounds. This is the layout you'd see in a book describing this movement. If I have three full sets of boards available to me, how would I lay out the boards in Rounds 1 and 2 so no board higher than 18 is being used?

ROUND 1
NS1 vs EW3 Bds 1-6
NS2 vs EW4 Bds 7-12
NS3 vs EW5 Bds 13-18
NS4 vs EW1 Bds 19-24
NS5 vs EW2 Bds 25-30

ROUND 2
NS1 vs EW4 Bds 19-24
NS2 vs EW5 Bds 25-30
NS3 vs EW1 Bds 1-6
NS4 vs EW2 Bds 7-12
NS5 vs EW3 Bds 13-18

#4 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2018-May-30, 09:42

What I envisaged was
A-F are board-sets 1-6, .., 31-36

Round 1: 1v4 A, 2v5 A, 3v1 B, 4v2 B, 5v3 C
Round 2: 1v3 B, 2v4 B, 3v5 C, 4v1 A, 5v2 A

Round 3: 1v5 D, 2v1 E, 3v2 D, 4v3 E, 5v4 F
Round 4: 1v2 E, 2v3 D, 3v4 E, 4v5 F, 5v1 D
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users