• You cannot reply to this topic

SB's Seniors Spat a BIT of a bridge reason

#21 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-25, 12:44

View Postpran, on 2018-May-25, 03:04, said:

Quote from The Bridge World May 1936:
On April 28 a squad of policemen broke up a Duplicate tournament in New York City and arrested the two young women, well known Bridge teachers, who were directing the contest. The charge was "keeping and maintaining and allowing their premises to be used for Contract Bridge gambling." At a hearing in a magistrate's court the next day, the case was referred to the Court of Special Sessions, the magistrate declaring that he could see no difference between such a contest and various "pin-ball" games which had been held to be illegal.

Quote from The Bridge World June 1936:
DUPLICATE Contract Bridge was pronounced a game of skill on May 25 in the Court of Special Sessions, New York, and the defendants, Miss Mildred Lovejoy and Mrs Adelaide Neuwirth, were acquitted. A feature of the trial was the testimony of Ely Culbertson and Albert H. Morehead, called to establish the status of the game.

If anybody wants to see the complete story I could scan the relevant 7 pages and publish them on "svenpran.net".

View Postaxman, on 2018-May-25, 09:14, said:

please scan at 300 dpi.

thanx

Feel free to visit my homepage at "svenpran.net"

I have been notified that the last page unfortunately was partly scrambled along the left margin.
I plan to make a more permanent presentation "from my Bridge World archives" and then this will also be fixed.

The lines that are most difficult to understand (from context) shall read:
"four players receiving 13 cards, the hand is played,
bid and played, and then the same cards are put and"

I have now revised my homepage:
Under the menu item The Bridge World (in English) I shall present various articles from The Bridge World magazine.

Currently you may find:
When I Forgot the Blue Book
Conflict with the Law (Bridge teachers arrested for organized gambling)
Judges pronounce that Bridge is a game of skill, not gambling

More will follow

#22 User is offline   pgrice 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-May-29, 05:19

View Postpran, on 2018-May-25, 03:04, said:

Quote from The Bridge World May 1936:
On April 28 a squad of policemen broke up a Duplicate tournament in New York City and arrested the two young women, well known Bridge teachers, who were directing the contest. The charge was "keeping and maintaining and allowing their premises to be used for Contract Bridge gambling." At a hearing in a magistrate's court the next day, the case was referred to the Court of Special Sessions, the magistrate declaring that he could see no difference between such a contest and various "pin-ball" games which had been held to be illegal.

Quote from The Bridge World June 1936:
DUPLICATE Contract Bridge was pronounced a game of skill on May 25 in the Court of Special Sessions, New York, and the defendants, Miss Mildred Lovejoy and Mrs Adelaide Neuwirth, were acquitted. A feature of the trial was the testimony of Ely Culbertson and Albert H. Morehead, called to establish the status of the game.

If anybody wants to see the complete story I could scan the relevant 7 pages and publish them on "svenpran.net".

Many thanks this clearly belongs under the heading NYPD BRIDGE

Sven, forgive me if you know or don't know ... NYPD Blue was a groundbreaking cop show that started in 1993.

#23 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-29, 06:41

View Postpgrice, on 2018-May-29, 05:19, said:

Many thanks this clearly belongs under the heading NYPD BRIDGE

Sven, forgive me if you know or don't know ... NYPD Blue was a groundbreaking cop show that started in 1993.

Oh yes, I loved NYPD Blue and even payed a visit to the 9th precinct before that station house was reconstructed.

It was exactly like visiting the 15th except that although the exterior and neighborhood was accurate, the interior was quite different from that shown in the show.

The officer at the desk seemed flattered when I explained that my visit was just because of NYPD Blue, and my impression was that they were proud of having been selected as the site of 15th precinct (which incidentally she told me had been the original precinct number at that house).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users