• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What does this double mean?

#1 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-20, 19:04

I believe a double of a 4 level preempt is an optional double even in passout seat, but what if the "preempt" was in passout seat too?

And would you pass? (IMPs)

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-20, 19:34

I don't know what it is.

I pass.

It's either going to win or it'll teach partner to never try to pull that ***** again.

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-20, 19:35

i wouldn't call a double of a 4 level pre-empt 'optional' in any position.

by a passed hand it's a pure takeout double anyway - normally a void, especially as in this case where you're a passed hand too. with short hearts and no honours it's pretty clear pull for me.

#4 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-20, 19:39

This is a terrible hand to pull with. It's enough that you have a decent chance to set if partner can provide even 1 trick, and it's lightyears away from making 11.

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-20, 19:39

View PostTylerE, on 2018-May-20, 19:34, said:

It's either going to win or it'll teach partner to never try to pull that ***** again.

i'm afraid that's a ridiculous thing to say. what do you expect partner to do with atxx - qxxxx atxx, sit there patiently and wait to collect his 20%?

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-20, 19:46

What kind of hybris does it take to get into an argument about this auction *after* admitting in the first sentence not to know what double is?

Obvious 5 bid - I'd be expecting to make it.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-20, 19:46

I'd expect him to open 1.

If partner starts passing opening hands I don't have much sympathy when he complains of trying to catch up later.

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-20, 19:57

View PostTylerE, on 2018-May-20, 19:46, said:

I'd expect him to open 1.

If partner starts passing opening hands I don't have much sympathy when he complains of trying to catch up later.

Swap an ace for a king then. I think wank is right, the double just makes very little sense otherwise.

ahydra

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-20, 20:17

View Postahydra, on 2018-May-20, 19:57, said:

the double just makes very little sense otherwise.

ahydra

After passing in 3rd position on these colours the double makes no sense period. Neither does bidding and expecting to make.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-20, 21:01

View Postggwhiz, on 2018-May-20, 20:17, said:

After passing in 3rd position on these colours the double makes no sense period. Neither does bidding and expecting to make.

if partner's 5440 with a poor 5 card suit it's fine for him to pass and hope to show his hand better later, which he seems to have achieved.

#11 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-20, 21:12

View Postwank, on 2018-May-20, 21:01, said:

if partner's 5440 with a poor 5 card suit it's fine for him to pass and hope to show his hand better later, which he seems to have achieved.

Why give up a chance at +110 when you can go -500 vs air, right?

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-20, 21:27

View Postsmerriman, on 2018-May-20, 19:04, said:

I believe a double of a 4 level preempt is an optional double even in passout seat, but what if the "preempt" was in passout seat too?

That is a PURE take-out and I am taking it out.

When I hear penalty suggestions I want to scream "How ............ can you be?" but i refrain myself because people are taking it as a challenge ffs!
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-May-20, 22:35

I don't think 4 is a preempt in 4th seat, but more probably some hand with long hearts, some values, and spade shortness. Opener likely judged that the hand wasn't ever going to make slam opposite a passing partner, had a decent chance of making, and probably wouldn't be set much if it didn't. I'd think maybe something like x AKQ10xxxx x QJ10 or maybe x KQJ10xxxx x KQJ. 4 then is a tactical bid attempting to avoid a vs. competitive auction. At least, that's what I'd expect out of a competent, reasonably sane player.

At IMPs opposite a passing partner, double can't be penalty because the ballpark two passing partners are playing in is a part score and any positive isn't likely to swing many IMPs one way or the other. So sitting and taking a positive by beating 4 stands to lose little and gain when the opponents playing your way overbid in a part score.

Anyhow, holding 10 doubleton makes it virtually impossible for partner to hold some hand with a stack that could penalize 4 .

#14 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2018-May-21, 01:39

View Postsmerriman, on 2018-May-20, 19:04, said:

Firstly,I have to say that preempting in the pass out seat is senseless...there's no-one left to preempt(!) As for the double,it HAS to
be for blood. Partner is obviously sitting with a trump stack over declarer.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#15 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-May-21, 01:49

I shall first ask them if they play 4C/D as respective transfers to 4H/S as hands 012 in any chair and 4H/S as 123 respectively.A suitable action can then be taken considering the pros and cons as per vulnerability,scoring method and one's mood at the time.

#16 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-May-21, 03:32

View Postwank, on 2018-May-20, 19:39, said:

i'm afraid that's a ridiculous thing to say. what do you expect partner to do with atxx - qxxxx atxx, sit there patiently and wait to collect his 20%?

Open!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#17 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-May-21, 03:38

View Postmsjennifer, on 2018-May-21, 01:49, said:

I shall first ask them if they play 4C/D as respective transfers to 4H/S as hands 012 in any chair and 4H/S as 123 respectively.A suitable action can then be taken considering the pros and cons as per vulnerability,scoring method and one's mood at the time.

Good point. People have gone away from 4C/4D Namyats as these bids too useful as natural.
In 4th seat Namyats is a nice convention, but I fear my partners won't remember if only playing in 4th (or 3rd)

In any case partner has passed making a 5-level contract seems unlikely. I have people stretch in 4th with 4M and not have as long trump suit as would expect and is holey.
But you have enough defense you might beat (possibly for a lot) and bidding on could be a 1-800 toll free number.
What partner could possible have for any sort of double as a passed hand is beyond me?
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#18 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-21, 04:22

First thing to say is North could have saved himself an awful lot of grief by opening the bidding. This meets all modern standards for a light 1 diamond (or 1N if playing 12-14). We have 2 and 1/2 QT we meet rule of 20 and we have an easy rebid whatever partner says.
To make 5 partner must have a heart void and cover 3 cards in my hand and not have an opening bid in 3rd seat
Axxx
-
Kxxx
Kxxxx

I think that covers it, so 5 it is.

#19 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-21, 04:54

Partner must have an extreme two or three suiter (most likely two suits to come in at this level). I won’t spend too much time wondering why he didn’t open in third position; I guess he has his reasons. I’m bidding 4NT expecting partner to bid his lowest suit.

#20 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-21, 04:59

The question - it seems to me - that you need to ask is why didn't partner open the bidding in 3rd position first time around? And the answer that seems logical to be is that he has a shapely hand with mediocre suits, maybe 4045 4054 or 5044, a tad light of a genuine opening, and feared a misfit due to the void. However with the 4 opening by West his hand can be re-assessed.

I'd look at the double as competitive, primarily for takeout, with a very small percentage option as a penalty double if partner has a stack of trumps over opener. So it's 5 from me too.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users