BBO Discussion Forums: Players without conventions on profile - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Players without conventions on profile Block players w-o any convention info

#1 User is offline   DrDirt 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-May-19, 14:01

When I am playing with a partner in a pickup game, frequently one of the Oppos has neither a CC nor any info on his profile. Then what happens is that many players sit at the other seat, note that the other player has no profile and immediately leave. This can go on for a while. BBO leaves me only two recourses: eject the player with no profile if one of us is host(rude with no explanation)or, as we usually do, my partner and I leave the table.
I suggest that there should be a option box on table setup than precludes players with no profile or CC.

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-19, 14:07

DrDirt, on 2018-May-19, 14:01, said:

When I am playing with a partner in a pickup game, frequently one of the Oppos has neither a CC nor any info on his profile. Then what happens is that many players sit at the other seat, note that the other player has no profile and immediately leave. This can go on for a while. BBO leaves me only two recourses: eject the player with no profile if one of us is host(rude with no explanation)or, as we usually do, my partner and I leave the table.
I suggest that there should be a option box on table setup than precludes players with no profile or CC.

you're projecting. there are plenty of reasons for leaving the table. that you care what's in someone's profile doesn't mean others do.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-19, 14:21

wank, on 2018-May-19, 14:07, said:

you're projecting. there are plenty of reasons for leaving the table. that you care what's in someone's profile doesn't mean others do.

You are eluding real problems.
One is that BBO does not require people to explicit what conventions they can play, nor does it offer mechanisms to negotiate which they will actually play with current partner.
Another is that the management of pickup games is delegated to capricious humans rather than adequate software.

#4 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-19, 14:27

Simple solution - just host a table yourself, but require permission to join. You can then see the profile of anyone who requests to join and accept/decline them as you like.

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-May-19, 14:41

smerriman, on 2018-May-19, 14:27, said:

Simple solution - just host a table yourself, but require permission to join. You can then see the profile of anyone who requests to join and accept/decline them as you like.

That's a valid solution for a reasonable person who has some time to spare and is lucky enough to find a string of other reasonable people willing to join.
Unfortunately not everyone on BBO is a reasonable person or has time to spare.
The software could easily manage pickup games without human hosts and handle tasks such as matching profiles and monitoring behaviour.

#6 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-19, 15:18

pescetom, on 2018-May-19, 14:21, said:

You are eluding real problems.
One is that BBO does not require people to explicit what conventions they can play

If I was going to do that, I'd need about 10x the space allowed in the box. It's pointless.

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-May-19, 15:58

TylerE, on 2018-May-19, 15:18, said:

If I was going to do that, I'd need about 10x the space allowed in the box. It's pointless.

I agree that a free text space is not a good way of explaining the conventions one can play, let alone a valid way of deciding which conventions one will play.
We need a better mechanism offered by BBO.

To put the problem in perspective, I have a chart I use with casual partners to agree the conventions we will play in a (real world) tournament. There are two pages of questions with tickbox answers, it takes about 2-5 minutes to compile together. With predefined answers a software could match such charts in a second, allowing us to accept, decline or refine the proposed match (similar to accepting a claim).

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-19, 18:42

OKBridge managed this problem really well. The had convention cards that you could edit and then post to,the table. Also they had premade ones. So you could say, “let’s play OKB 2/1GF exactly as written. The systems provided were not perfect but at least they could be agreed with no more problems.

Also, is it not possible that people who don’t make lists in their BBO profile are flexible and will play whatever their partner wishes?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-May-19, 22:56

[quote name='DrDirt' timestamp='1526760106' post='951495']
When I am playing with a partner in a pickup game, frequently one of the Oppos has neither a CC nor any info on his profile.
[/quot
I don't have anything on my profile. The profile is just a guide to what you can play not what your play at the moment. Your convention card is.
If your playing with a pick-up partner and your not playing SAYC, Gib 2/1 or one of the other pre-set convention cards I believe you are wasting your time.

There is a feature on the profile which almost nobody uses the favourite convention card. You can go wild and fill out all the gadgets you want. This is the way it really should be done if you want to have a long discussion about what to play.

My profile says i can play almost anything. So, your suggestion would preclude me. This would be ridiculous, as I would ask you wanted to play and then play it!

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#10 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-19, 22:58

Vampyr, on 2018-May-19, 18:42, said:

OKBridge managed this problem really well. The had convention cards that you could edit and then post to,the table. Also they had premade ones. So you could say, "let's play OKB 2/1GF exactly as written. The systems provided were not perfect but at least they could be agreed with no more problems.

Also, is it not possible that people who don't make lists in their BBO profile are flexible and will play whatever their partner wishes?

I just posted something on this.
BBO already has this feature but hardly anyone uses it and many long time users apparently <sarcasm> don't even know how.

#11 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2018-May-20, 07:15

DrDirt, on 2018-May-19, 14:01, said:

When I am playing with a partner in a pickup game, frequently one of the Oppos has neither a CC nor any info on his profile.
[/quot
I don't have anything on my profile. The profile is just a guide to what you can play not what your play at the moment. Your convention card is.
If your playing with a pick-up partner and your not playing SAYC, Gib 2/1 or one of the other pre-set convention cards I believe you are wasting your time.

There is a feature on the profile which almost nobody uses the favourite convention card. You can go wild and fill out all the gadgets you want. This is the way it really should be done if you want to have a long discussion about what to play.

My profile says i can play almost anything. So, your suggestion would preclude me. This would be ridiculous, as I would ask you wanted to play and then play it!

Hi steve2005. The problem can be not that an opp has not CC but that partner instead has it not and in this case at table people view anything. Whilest GCC is easyier to make if is possible to watch almost GCC by one player alone but i think that commercial problems/vendor/old support are obsative. Anyhow when i played sitting at table the first thing was:"Please see my profile" before playing and there was need it being i don't play 2NT Jacoby but strong raise and also it was necessary about use of RKB 1430 but club suit (in that case 0314). If you watch my profile can see also other indications usefull to help partner to bid avoid mistakes in bidding that, if you retain, can follow when making your profile.

#12 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-20, 08:11

Lovera, on 2018-May-20, 07:15, said:

Hi steve2005. The problem can be not that an opp has not CC but that partner instead has it not and in this case at table people view anything. Whilest GCC is easyier to make if is possible to watch almost GCC by one player alone but i think that commercial problems/vendor/old support are obsative. Anyhow when i played sitting at table the first thing was:"Please see my profile" before playing and there was need it being i don't play 2NT Jacoby but strong raise and also it was necessary about use of RKB 1430 but club suit (in that case 0314). If you watch my profile can see also other indications usefull to help partner to bid avoid mistakes in bidding that, if you retain, can follow when making your profile.

Yes, will i think EVERYONE is wrong to say see my profile. They should also be saying see my favourite convention card.
I don't know how using your profile as a convention chart started but i don't get why using your favourite isn't being used. Using "favourite" would solve a lot of bidding convention problems.

Did you know that you can ask your partner during play about conventions and change your CC during play?

Lovera what is "GCC"?

#13 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-20, 10:37

steve2005, on 2018-May-20, 08:11, said:

Yes, will i think EVERYONE is wrong to say see my profile. They should also be saying see my favourite convention card.
I don't know how using your profile as a convention chart started but i don't get why using your favourite isn't being used. Using "favourite" would solve a lot of bidding convention problems.

Did you know that you can ask your partner during play about conventions and change your CC during play?

Lovera what is "GCC"?

Hi, GCC is the Generic Convention Card that i don't have and about indications (avoiding chat) in my profile for random partner allow us to quickly have indications also for opps before starting to play.

#14 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-May-20, 15:09

Hi DrDirt

I considered reading your post, but you haven't bothered to fill in a BBO Forums profile...

If / when you decide to do so, I'll take a look at what you had to say
Alderaan delenda est

#15 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-May-20, 15:17

Lovera, on 2018-May-20, 10:37, said:

Hi, GCC is the Generic Convention Card that i don't have and about indications (avoiding chat) in my profile for random partner allow us to quickly have indications also for opps before starting to play.

That's not what GCC is.

GCC is General Convention Chart, it's the regulation that lists what conventions you're allowed to play in ACBL tournaments. It's not a specific set of agreements, you still have to work those out with a new partner.

It's being replaced later this year, see https://docs.google....=h.yxnvppfo0dpb

#16 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-20, 16:04

The profile can contain all kind of things, from jokes to political statements. I don't see much point in discriminating on the basis of whether the profile is filled in.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#17 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-20, 16:18

hrothgar, on 2018-May-20, 15:09, said:

Hi DrDirt

I considered reading your post, but you haven't bothered to fill in a BBO Forums profile...

If / when you decide to do so, I'll take a look at what you had to say

Lol

#18 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-20, 16:23

Lovera, on 2018-May-20, 10:37, said:

I assume you meant the Generic Blank convention card. The ACBL blank card is a lot easier to fill out starting from scratch and more informative.
If someone hasn't filled out a card ask them if they play SAYC. Playing anything else with a stranger will just be frustrating unless one of you has a convention card filled out.
Then one of you can "use" the convention card with partner.
Filling out a profile with conventions for me is a waste of time and i would go over BBO page limit.

#19 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-21, 02:16

barmar, on 2018-May-20, 15:17, said:

That's not what GCC is.

GCC is General Convention Chart, it's the regulation that lists what conventions you're allowed to play in ACBL tournaments. It's not a specific set of agreements, you still have to work those out with a new partner.

It's being replaced later this year, see https://docs.google....=h.yxnvppfo0dpb

Now i remember that in web client was possible to make a chart and almost compilate for 70% i choised a General card similar that of Gib with the same conventions and i had indication at the bottom in profile as CC preferred to click on to watch (but i don't go theare because "the chessboard is too narrow") whilest in BB app it is not that indication (and it was possible instead...) and i have put in my profile those informations adding about raises and RKB to use in club games.

#20 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-May-21, 08:53

The web client allows you to fill in an ACBL CC or a Generic CC. The latter is a BBO-specific format that's just a bunch of text fields. It has nothing to do with the ACBL GCC.

I understand there's a language barrier, but convention cards are different from convention charts. Convention cards are lists of the conventions you play with your partner, convention charts are regulations saying which conventions are allowed in a particular jurisdiction.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users