Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

tough hand to bid

#1 User is offline   rr9000 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-May-08, 19:36

1C - P - P - to you and you hold spade void, Axxx, AKJxx, AKxx.

What's your call and what's your plan? If you double, pard bids 2S.

Thanks!

RR9000

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-08, 19:41

Double, then 3D, if partner persists with 3S then 3NT.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-May-08, 22:04

If I ever cue bid clubs it will sound like spade support, so after the double and 2S bid, I think a direct 3NT shows little interest in a spade contract. If partner bids 4S, I pass.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-14, 12:19

I would probably squint a bit and treat is as a strong 5-5 red hand and start with 2NT, because I really really don't care about partners spades.

Other than that, I would rather bid 2 than X, just because these 5440 hands never play quite as well as they look, and I just know partner is going to go nuts bidding spades. I'd rather be +200 in 2 then -200 in 4.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2018-May-14, 14:18

View PostTylerE, on 2018-May-14, 12:19, said:

I would probably squint a bit and treat is as a strong 5-5 red hand and start with 2NT, because I really really don't care about partners spades.

Other than that, I would rather bid 2 than X, just because these 5440 hands never play quite as well as they look, and I just know partner is going to go nuts bidding spades. I'd rather be +200 in 2 then -200 in 4.

I have learned the hard way not to call anything 'standard' so I won't say it is standard to play a balancing 2N call as natural, but it is very common amongst experienced players. The reason is that the notrump ranges have to be different from those in direct seat. It is 'standard' for a direct 1N overcall to be 'strong' (typically 15-18) which leaves stronger hands to be dealt with by double and then notrump.

In balancing seat, it is standard for the 1N to top out at about 14 hcp (individual ranges may vary but I've never seen a good pair that would hold as many as 16). So one needs to have ways of showing the higher ranges. It is useful to play, as one example:

1N 10-14
Double then cheapest notrump 15-18
2N 19-20
double then jump in notrump: 21-22

With more, one can double then cuebid then notrump.

So 2N as reds might end up being embarrassing when partner misreads the bid...otoh it is right on hcp, lol

If the opps were red and we white, I'd be tempted to pass and think it the correct action at mps. Partner should lead a trump on this auction and on a good day, we are outscoring any game we might make.

Otherwise, I double and hope. Over 2S, we have issues. If we bid 3D, it doesn't imo show this hand....it merely shows a different hand than either 1D or 2D....stronger than the former and more flexible than the latter (assuming, as is common, that 2D shows an intermediate overcall). Besides 3D may have the effect of endplaying partner. I think I bid 3N over 2S.

I definitely plan all of this out in advance...it is imperative that you plan for spade action since otherwise your BIT is going to cause potential issues. Fortunately, this is pretty obvious.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-14, 17:32

View Postrr9000, on 2018-May-08, 19:36, said:

1C - P - P - to you and you hold spade void, Axxx, AKJxx, AKxx.

What's your call and what's your plan? If you double, pard bids 2S.

Thanks!

RR9000

Please mention the vulnerability and scoring.

I double and bid 3 NT if pd bids 2.
Note that pd failed to overcall 1 and that means he has only 4 card spades if he jumps to 2 now. A sign of balanced hand with 10-11 hcp and only 4 card .

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-May-08, 22:04, said:

If I ever cue bid clubs it will sound like spade support, so after the double and 2S bid, I think a direct 3NT shows little interest in a spade contract. If partner bids 4S, I pass.

Look at the auction again, pd will not bid 4. Unless he passed previous round by a mistake. If he had weak hand and 6-7 card which was too weak to do something over 1 now he would jump to 3 over DBL. He will not even have 5 card spade for his 2 bid due to initial pass over 1.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-May-14, 17:56

View PostMrAce, on 2018-May-14, 17:32, said:

Please mention the vulnerability and scoring.

I double and bid 3 NT if pd bids 2.
Note that pd failed to overcall 1 and that means he has only 4 card spades if he jumps to 2 now. A sign of balanced hand with 10-11 hcp and only 4 card .

Look at the auction again, pd will not bid 4. Unless he passed previous round by a mistake. If he had weak hand and 6-7 card which was too weak to do something over 1 now he would jump to 3 over DBL. He will not even have 5 card spade for his 2 bid due to initial pass over 1.

I'd have thought he was more likely to have 5 bad spades that he didn't fancy overcalling than 4. There are precious few hands where I would bid 2 on 4. Vul may affect somewhat what he can have.

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-14, 19:29

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-May-14, 17:56, said:

I'd have thought he was more likely to have 5 bad spades that he didn't fancy overcalling than 4. There are precious few hands where I would bid 2 on 4. Vul may affect somewhat what he can have.

Even if he has 5 bad spades, which he may, that still means we should never worry about hearing 4 over our 3 NT.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-May-15, 03:54

View PostMrAce, on 2018-May-14, 19:29, said:

Even if he has 5 bad spades, which he may, that still means we should never worry about hearing 4 over our 3 NT.

This is true, but would be embarrassing in your vision of the hand if he had something like AKQJ, xx, xxx, xxxx, your hand is very unsuitable for playing 3N opposite this sort of thing. If it's a bad 5 card suit, he might have put them off leading one, but you will make plenty of tricks outside as he will have side entries xxxxx, KQx, Qx, QJx for example where you have 12-13 tricks available outside NT but only 9 in NT.

I would bid a FG 3 over 2 and see what develops, I'd much prefer to see if partner wants to raise diamonds, he might hold something more normal like AKxx, xx, Q10xx, xxx where 6 is just excellent.

#10 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-15, 04:33

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-May-15, 03:54, said:

would be embarrassing in your vision of the hand if he had something like AKQJ, xx, xxx, xxxx

That looks like a 1 over-call for me - even with a four-card suit.

#11 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-May-15, 05:16

View PostTramticket, on 2018-May-15, 04:33, said:

That looks like a 1 over-call for me - even with a four-card suit.

It does to me too, just not to a lot of people

#12 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2018-May-18, 13:57

2S is pretty good news. He has values, yet didnt overcall, so his cards are in other places.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#13 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-May-19, 13:41

I'm also doubling and bidding 3 NT over 2 .

If 2 is partner's correct call, RHO must be virtually pointless. I don't think partner need only have 4 , but could hold a hand with not enough good values and/or decent enough to pvercall. Opener rates to have most all the missing As and Ks for the opener leaving partner with a lot of quacks to yield enough points for the 2 call, maybe Q10xxx QJx Qx Qxx leaving opener AKJx Kxxx xx Jxx to open on. But with all the prime cards in our hand, those quacks are probably going to be useful for us.

#14 User is offline   mr1303_2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-May-19, 21:59

I'm going on a different track and will start with a simple 1D. Could this be awful? Yes, but I think no more likely than double or 2NT. It seems likely that someone will find a 1S bid, either opps or partner.

#15 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-02, 07:54

I don't know what I'd do now, but I know what I'd have done 50 years ago!

2. "GF and first-round control of ". Of course Michaels hadn't even been invented back then. If partner shows you should be safe in 3NT (though I'm always a bit scared when void in partner's suit). Otherwise...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users